Boating Etiquette

B

Brisco

Went out today and caught zip. Came back to the launch to find a fellow staged on the ramp. I was kinda not in a good mood after failing once again at the Cap. This guy backed down the ramp then stopped well short of the water.I thought this was kind of strange.He then gets out of his truck and climbs in his boat and starts fiddling with fender and ropes etc. To make a long story short, people should have everything ready at the top of the ramp! Including the removel of the stern straps, the boat is still held on by the winch rope and the safety chain.I ended up reteiving my boat on the shallow side of the ramp and as I was leaving he still didn't have his boat in the water.

You are absolutely right Brisco!
This time of year makes a crowded launch a total gong show at times.I realize some people dont have it together as much as others but they must consider a boat ramp as a one lane road.
Spent a half hour jogging in and out of gear with seven other boats waiting because one person did not know how to steer a trailer in reverse.
But hey,what can you do but help a person correct their mistake?
Did you tell the guy he was holding up the launch?
Hooch

Hooch, Actually if I was to speak to the man, I would offer my assistance before taking the chance of getting into a situation.I've learned that people can be sensitive if you question their boating abilities.

You would be right to do so.
I find myself in the same position at times and I know how frustrating it can be.
It is better to be polite than obtuse yet sometimes people just dont know better.
But thats just my opinion

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Hooch, Actually if I was to speak to the man, I would offer my assistance before taking the chance of getting into a situation.I've learned that people can be sensitive if you question their boating abilities.
I agree with Brisco. I am almost always on my own and I would offer to help the guy. What really tics me off (and this has only happened at Tulista in Sidney) are younger guys in hot boats with their girlfriends who jump the line to get trailered first. I just mutter away, not worth hitting his fist with my face.

Kelly...an old guy gave me this tip when I was 16 and trying to launch my boat. When backing up a trailer, use 1 hand on the steering wheel...place that hand on the BOTTOM of the wheel. If you want the trailer to go right...move your HAND to the right (this turns the wheel LEFT) and vis versa. This makes it so simple.
Second tip...go slow...you'll have your boat in the water sooner going slow and straight, than fast and crooked.
Have fun, see you in Alberni.
Dan

Good tip -- plus I would add -- don't make the mistake of trying to use your rear view mirror when steering the trailer. Instead swivel your head around and look behind you directly at the trailer -- it makes the fine adjustments on turning the trailer much easier.

Another great tip in backing down a ramp is to put your rig in neutral as it gives you more reaction time when you make your turns or corrections.

Load your boat at home and not the ramp.Another tip turn off your headlights so the guy backing down the ramp can see.

Went out today and caught zip. Came back to the launch to find a fellow staged on the ramp. I was kinda not in a good mood after failing once again at the Cap. This guy backed down the ramp then stopped well short of the water.I thought this was kind of strange.He then gets out of his truck and climbs in his boat and starts fiddling with fender and ropes etc. To make a long story short, people should have everything ready at the top of the ramp! Including the removel of the stern straps, the boat is still held on by the winch rope and the safety chain.I ended up reteiving my boat on the shallow side of the ramp and as I was leaving he still didn't have his boat in the water.

I for one don't have tolerance for inconsiderate people. Unless the guy looked like he could squash me with his pinky, I would have to say something sarcastic to him to make an obvious point.

Perhaps I will say something the next time someone feels he owns the ramp. I do like the tips that have been posted.

Then again...I'm sure we've all been there. "Darned I forgot the bumper" or plug:D or straps or whatever. I am out there to relax and not to start boiling blood. I'm sure that guy doesn't do it on purpose he probably wants to be out there ASAP just like the rest of us. I know it could be annoying but lets all go out enjoy instead of having a heart attack or sumtin'
Cutting the line is another story[}:)]
vic

From Briscos' description Gypseas this does not sound like the guy took a minute to remedy a forgotten detail. Obviously this would not be an issue.

I have witnessed this before where some people are completeley oblivious to others and have no sense of etiquette.

Hehehe
I would think the guy was trying his best to hurry up and time flies when you're in that guys shoes. On the other hand when you watch a guy fiddling with some rope that seems like an eternity
;)

not very funny... but when it happened we had a laugh....
we were launching at clutsi haven in port alberni one morning... my dad and i didnt have coffee that morning until we were on the boat.... as we launched the trailor i noticed the boat didnt float off of it... we couldnt figure it out... after about 5 mins of thinking about it we realized we had left the straps on the bakc of the boat/trailor on!! we were just too tired haha

never have done that sicne... good times though... LOL

Howdy,

Waddy, that's a great idea for a new topic.
I've got a funny ramp-story, but sinse it's your idea, you go ahead
and start it.

You should get some good bites.

Cheers,
Terry

Back