Boating course

Bjw

Got a buddy who has a little boat and has fished locally for a good number of years, South coast mainland, he's looking to get a bigger boat and start making trips across the straight and is looking at taking a course of some sort to sharpen his skills, any recommendations? Thanx

Got a buddy who has a little boat and has fished locally for a good number of years, South coast mainland, he's looking to get a bigger boat and start making trips across the straight and is looking at taking a course of some sort to sharpen his skills, any recommendations? Thanx

canadian power sailing squadrian http://www.cps-ecp.ca/

need 2 know 2 things: size of boat (15t or less), purpose (fishing, commercial, etc), and if he earns $ chartering. SVOP - at the minimum.. if any of those triggers breached...

second that

Yup.....3rd here.

I think Aqua dove a little too deep ;) as it seems like he just wants to expand his fishing range with a bigger boat and spend more time on the chuck.

Pacific Angler also does saltwater fishing courses....if he wants to learn more on the fishing side of things.

The thing with being trained in a real course like power squadron is it not as easy as just faking like you know the material like the online boat operator card. I have seen people fail the exams. The advanced seamanship if you go on and piloting or totally worth it. Even knowing how to do some of the manual plotting makes you understand how to use your GPS plotter properly.

Last edited:
Yeah just a simple move up in boat size and doing some longer trips to unknown areas, thanx

canadian power sailing squadrian http://www.cps-ecp.ca/
4th that :)
The course materials, delivery method, instructors and the student cruising day all together makes a very positive learning experience. I started with them a few years ago and each year took a new course. Being engaged with the local squadron and exchanging info with more experienced fellow volunteers and instructors is a valuable opportunity in my opinion.
Where's your buddy located?

Yeah just a simple move up in boat size and doing some longer trips to unknown areas, thanx

The squadron will be great for him as there is LOTS of knowledge to be gained from it.

As mentioned if he's looking to do some longer trips, signing up for a course with Pac Angler may be a good one. Most courses include a day on the water if memory serves me correct and if it could lump in a run to Thrasher in the spring as part of the course it would be a good "hands on" day on the water crossing the strait. I think they tend to try and lump 4 together for the "on water" days but it would be best to check their website. Definitely more cost friendly than just booking a charter on his own....or booking a charter to Thrasher/Porlier could also be a great learning experience.

Agent WTF is that response all about?

As everybody has already said, Power Squadron. Start with the basic introductory course. They cover all the basic stuff you need to know and cover it well. They run courses that start in September and January. Keep an eye open for when the next courses are offered. A lot of times you start seeing lawn signs on boulevards, etc. advertising courses starting up.

Agent WTF is that response all about?
Nothing wrong w the safe boating course and the Power Squadron. It's just that the legal requirements for your certification depends upon the triggers I listed above. In other words - if you are a charter operator (or have a larger boat) - the pleasure craft licence doesn't cut it w Transport Canada. You need a SVOP - as a minimum. I would think people would want to know what their legal requirements are for certification before they plan to take a course. :)

Check-out the conversation at: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?posts/796529/

I've taken all the courses( Power Squadron, Med 3, SVOP, etc) and by far the best course is the Power Squadron course. All others are just a rehash of the Power Squadron course. And yes you can fail the course, but they make it very hard to do so. There is all the help you need to help you pass and if you just follow along it is a very good course. Another good course they offer is the advanced Radar course. The other plus is you can get a discount on your insurance after completion of the course.

Back