Boat will not troll slow enought

Filletandrelease

Had maiden fishing trip on buddies new to him 30 Commander today. Twin Volvo diesels and dual prop legs. Any ideas how to slow this thing down. 3 plus mph and the down rigger cable angle was insane. Didn't have a bucket to drag, that will be 1st thing to try. Can idle speed be dropped on these engines? Right now they idle at 700.

You can order a parachute to drag out back. I know nothing about motors but my buddy has a 30 commander twin diesels and we run plugs and it picks up a lot of fish. We do use the parachute from time to time, but mostly run 3 mph plus and we catch fish.

I have a single Volvo diesel duo prop on my Seasport and my idle speed is 600rpm. Sorry don't know how you adjust.
I do close to 3mph with that setup. Lots of push with those duo props. Honestly I would put on a Yamaha T9.9 HT. They run those on Ocean Sports up to 34'. There is also a high thrust 25hp now you could use.
I have a Yamaha 9.9 HT on my 27' Seasport. Works great.
Not an expert but diesels don't like to idle. They want to be under load.

Nice boat by the way. One of my favourites.

How do you get the down riggers deep enough? 15 pound balls and we had 45 degree angle before we hit 100 feet. This was at the pilings on Texada. Dead calm water.

I have a single Volvo diesel duo prop on my Seasport and my idle speed is 600rpm. Sorry don't know how you adjust.
I do close to 3mph with that setup. Lots of push with those duo props. Honestly I would put on a Yamaha T9.9 HT. They run those on Ocean Sports up to 34'. There is also a high thrust 25hp now you could use.
I have a Yamaha 9.9 HT on my 27' Seasport. Works great.
Not an expert but diesels don't like to idle. They want to be under load.

Nice boat by the way. One of my favourites.

Yes very nice boat. I agree with the kicker. He was inside playing with his new hds10 and I was on the deck gagging on the exhaust fumes.

It all depends on currents and speed. If the tides running not uncommon to have them angled way back. There can be currents down deep too. 15 pound balls are good.
What line are you using?

Put an outboard bracket and a 25 Yami high thrust on it. Better to put the trolling hrs on a kicker than the diesels.

Yes very nice boat. I agree with the kicker. He was inside playing with his new hds10 and I was on the deck gagging on the exhaust fumes.
That's the other thing. If you troll with the diesels all the time the boat will get covered in soot. Especially going down wind.

It's fun spending buddies money! Tell him he needs a kicker.

Using braided line. We had same speed both directions today. The water was very still and we fish this place a lot in my boat. Angle just seemed so drastic I could only chauk it up to speed

I think next weekend I'm gonna play with plotter and leave him on the deck. Kicker will be his idea then. Lol. I gotta say though, it's a very nice boat.

Are you trolling with one main or both?
kicker with autopilot would be nice, there was a commander around vancouver with that set up a few year ago.

We use 20lbs balls. I don't get to worked up about the angle sometimes I just shake my head at how bad the angle is then pop fish on. Where are the pilings? Did you fuel up in Westview yesterday? Though I saw a commander coming in i didn't know.

We were only running 1 engine. Leg trimmed right up, trim tabs full down. I think a kicker is the only choice. Or take up mooching.

Pilings are on east side of Texada, slightly northwest of Pender harbour. He brought to boat up from Vancouver just yesterday.

Oh so not you. Try 20lbs balls and I know my buddy changed props but that cost about as much as a kicker

Don't get to small a kicker or you will be fighting the opposite problem of not enough power to keep the boat under control in stronger winds and currents. A boat that big and heavy needs something 20hp or more and it will still be economical to run too.

3 mph = 2.6 knots. Sounds fishy to me if your rolling a spoon, or anything with a flasher. Don't recall going any slower in my commie salmon days. The commander is a sweet ride! If you can mount the kicker in the center between the legs it makes a huge difference.

a few times trolling for sockeye I wasn't able to get my speed down low enough. I threw the engine I wasn't using in reverse and was able to create enough drag to slow it to where I wanted it.

Back