Boat Trailer alignment

lawlu

Had a bearing blow out on me the other day. And then realized that all four tires on the trailer are wearing abnormally on the inside edge. My first thought was that it was possibly an overweight/load issue, but have ruled that out as the 2 trailer axels are rates at 3500 lbs each and the loaded 22' Grady doesn't come close to that. Not sure what else it could be except that maybe the axles are out. Any recommendations for boat trailer or heavy duty trailer places in/near Victoria that could check this for me?

I took mine to mercury marine because I thought it would be helpfully if they needed to dump the boat off their launch. They did a great job but as you would expect I could have had it done cheaper elsewhere.

Just the inside edge? What ply rating are the tires? Are they bias ply or radials? What do you have the pressure at? How heavy is your boat fully loaded? Is your trailer set up with leaf springs or torsion axles?

You may find a little fine tuning might solve your problem. Or you can throw money at it:)

Leo

Just the inside edge?
Yes, inside edge only...and on all four tires. This should rule out tire pressure, no? Over inflation wears the centre and under inflation wears both outside edges.

What ply rating are the tires? Are they bias ply or radials?

Carlisle Radials. 6 ply.

What do you have the pressure at? How heavy is your boat fully loaded?

5300 lbs last time I weighed it. It was before I switched motors though. Went from a 225 evinrude ocean runner (2 stroke) to a 225 Yammy (4 stroke)

Is your trailer set up with leaf springs or torsion axles?
Tandem torsion axels (4-5 year old trailer though)

You may find a little fine tuning might solve your problem. Or you can throw money at it:)

Not sure how to tune it, but I'd like to not have to throw money at it. I just don't really know what else to do.

Leo

See above answers...

Okay. You've got 6 ply tires, at 50 psi, you aren't over loaded, but the inside edge is wearing on all 4 tires.
Sounds like at some point the axles were overloaded. They could have a bend in them. You could take a tape and measure top and bottom, side to side and if and discrepancy, have that corrected.
I don't think the "toe" will be out as that's
a permanent thing that is factory set.
Also, confirm the GVW of the trailer, that's the boat plus the trailer weight.

Just saying.

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back