Boat tax

I got a letter in the mail today from Min of Finance. Asking for sales tax on a boat I bought in 2012. They came up with an amount of $1500 due (based on sales prices of similar boats!) within 30 days or interest will accumulate etc. A bit comical as boat purchase price was $2800. I did the insurance back when I bought the boat, but can't remember if I had to pay tax on purchase price!?? I also have done the boat registration thing at the government office, and again I can't remember if I had to pay any tax on that. I don't mind paying the $386 in tax, but not if I have already paid it and sure as hell not the $1500. The only bill of sale I have ( they have asked for bill of sale when I submit this form and payment) is a handwritten one from the original owner at time of sale. Any one else been through this lately and can offer any advice?
Thanks,
Alan

just submit the tax form with bill of sale and corrected amount of tax and you should be good to go,
I had the same thing happen to me, except I think I called them and had them enter the corrected amount owing in the system.
you shouldn't have paid the tax to icbc except for if there was a trailer included in the price then they would have collected the amount of tax owed on the trailer based on the declared price of that trailer so that amount should be deducted from the original 2800 and tax on balance then,
no taxes are paid when transferring the registration over either

I will have to look at my insurance papers, the trailer was included in purchase price. Pretty sure I said trailer valued at $1400 so tax remaining on boat should be half. Excellent only. Thanks Hookin'up.

make sure of what you declared it (trailer) at cause they(feds) do know.
and they will get you on it.......trust me:cool:

Roughly 2 years for me.

Got my letter today from the Ministry of Finance. 2 Years behind purchased the boat in May 2012. I have been waiting a while so not a surprise at all, but I bet some guys are shocked when they see the bill then they have to explain it to the wife.

Got mine as well just the other day. Just over 2 years after purchase. 12% on the purchase price is what I owe but they went fishing for more, lots more!

You guys are lucky! Every time I ever bought a boat (5) had to pay the tax upfront (at the border).
If you take in consideration the inflation, paying the tax after 2-3 years you're ahead of the game.
cheers

When I brought my boat across the border I had to pay GST & PST on the purchase price of the boat only. When I got the trailer licensed I paid GST & PST on the purchase price of the trailer. It is best to have 2 separate bills of sale.

Well thanks I bought mine a month ago. I will make arrangements to pay now... I paid tax when I insured the trailer... Here is my question how do I pay?

On mine they gave me a estimated tax and if I didn't reply in 30 days or provide a bill of sale that's what it would be. Mine was $400 then it should have been but I have the bill of sale so I'm fine

Well thanks I bought mine a month ago. I will make arrangements to pay now... I paid tax when I insured the trailer... Here is my question how do I pay?

This is all the ministry of finance you could call them. My last boat I paid it all at Icbc when I did the trailer then when they sent me a tax invoice I just provided proof it was already paid.

Paid 1600 in tax for mine. Paid tax on trailer originally. They finally sent me the bill after two years and wanted the payment almost immediately. Said that I lost my bill of sale so settled for the 1600. It would have been more if I had the Bill of Sale. Why should we have to keep paying taxes on used boats bought privately? Don't get it...

Cash grab, simple. Think we are the only province that you have to pay tax on used vehicles and boats over and over again when they change ownership. It used to just be one tax then the hst bs came in so it was 12, then when they lost the hst they kept the 12% because they like sucking more money out of our pockets.

Just went to Service BC today and they indicated I have to go back to owner and have the value of the boat and value of trailer, or they will just pick market value... My bill of sale has everything except that.

The bill of sale you get has to have that...They indicated they are not interested in spending time talking to former owners.

Truthfully I think this process of paying is PST and TC registration is a total joke. But I don't want to give them more money. He also indicated they have a system in place to challenge the value if it appears to low based on market value..... Form by seller or not.

I think they are crooks myself, but those are the rules...

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean they went fishing for more?

I had the same experience as leftcoast did Dave. They gave me an estimated tax for an amount that was 3x higher than what was due. I'm glad I didn't lose my bill of sale!

Back