Boat Selection Advice/Recommendation for use on Fraser River & Harrison Lake

RTS77

Good Day
I am going to buy a boat and am looking for some ideas.
I have owned boats up to +50' and cruised around Georgia Strait.
Planning to use this boat for fishing and exploring the Fraser River, Harrison River and Harrison Lake.
Looking to leave it in the Fraser River for 6 months of the year and out of water for the rest.
Should be trailerable and 20' to 30'.

Looking for ideas and recommendations on size, hull composition, engine (s), make and models.

Thanks
Rob

In my opinion, One word, aluminum, and with a jet outboard, especially if only using in freshwater and the Fraser. Get a kicker to troll the salt and the lakes and you are good to go. Tons of options, but North River and Weldcraft come to mind. Do you want new?

JAC on this forum has a ton of experience with boats that you are looking for.

Thanks Big Green
will be looking for used
want to be able to sleep and cook in it, that's why I was thinking 20 to 30'.
an open jet boat, even with canvas won't be good for all weather.
will go look up North River and Weldcraft
Thanks again

I mean it really depends on your price range. A jet boat for the waters your asking about will be your best bet forsure. All I know is buy a jetboat with a Hamilton pump easy to tell they are grey in colour. There was a Bentley jet boat for sale in spokane ugly as hell pink and purple but it was a cabin cruiser jet boat which was neat. I would suggest not getting a high deck that's just my opinion but I prefer a standard hull and I have owned a jet with a high deck before. Silver streak makes a really nice jet boat. Also if you don't want to travel really skinny water look for a jet with 10-12 degree deadrise this will help in harrison lake chop. Also trim tabs are a real nice touch to help get the bow down in a rough riding jet boat. Look for boats in Washington they have way more selection in the used market and there are good deals if you are ready to job on them. I would stay away from sport jets and look for a 350 or bigger

Thunder jet, north river, custom weld,Bentley,hcm silver streak, just a few

Last edited by a moderator:
How shallow is the Frazer and Harrison Rivers? Is a jet really needed?

Just curious as there are quite a few members on this board that have outboard motors on their boats that frequent said rivers.

You are paying a premium for jet propulsion at the get go and at the pump. If it is really not required then a standard outboard with prop could suffice, no?.

Aluminum hull all the way with proper bottom paint for the length of time in the water. A great site for information on aluminum boats and their great resistance to corrosion and low maintenance etc. (if set up properly) is the AAB forum http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamilton pumps are very efficient and they also are a lot more maneuverable at slow speeds. I would forsure get a jet for this application when u going to be on the river you want to have the right tool for the job

Hamilton pumps are very efficient and they also are a lot more maneuverable at slow speeds. I would forsure get a jet for this application when u going to be on the river you want to have the right tool for the job

So its more for the current etc. not depth of water. I get it now :).

First off, you might want to go here, http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en and scroll over to the mouth of the Harrison, and you can see what you are dealing with as far as depth's go.

Aluminium for sure.

Inboard jet would be my preference, but I am biased, I have one. Inboard jets usually have heat and defrost, and are said to be more efficient than an outboard jet.

Size, well several considerations, how big a boat can you push off a sand or gravel bar? When running around a river like the Fraser, on plane, with only 3-4 inches of visibility into the water at times, in channels that constantly change, you are bound to need a shove off from time to time.

Also with size comes the fuel consideration, my 20ft 350 fuel injected jet boat, gets about 2.5 miles per gallon,
so that gives you something to go by.

As far as sleeping on board, sleeper seats and full enclosure are fairly standard on jet boats 20ft and up,
but I am not going to say it's particularly comfortable.

In my opinion from mission up river a jet is the best. I know people bring big prop boats up there but this is what a jet boat was made to do

If you were going to bring a 25' or so prop fiberglass boat up the Fraser to Harrison River, any particular hull shape or design?

I know the fraser pretty good and I would not put my fiberglass boat in there up around the harrison. Below the Stave river is OK and I do put the boat in around there but I wouldnt risk going up there that far. There is a reason why guys bolt teflon to there jet hulls.

Back