Boat interior flooring options

Install looks very professional. What did you use as a cutting tool, especially for the circles?

The circles are removable inspection ports. I just stuck the foam on, flipped them over and cut along the edge of them. The other curves and angles, just take it slow. Use random objects as a cutting guide when needed.

The trick to getting clean cuts is using an exacto knife, and changing the blade every 3 or 4 cuts. That way you can keep nice light pressure, no need to lean into this stuff to cut it.

The circles are removable inspection ports. I just stuck the foam on, flipped them over and cut along the edge of them. The other curves and angles, just take it slow. Use random objects as a cutting guide when needed.

The trick to getting clean cuts is using an exacto knife, and changing the blade every 3 or 4 cuts. That way you can keep nice light pressure, no need to lean into this stuff to cut it.
You only used the peel and stick backing to adhere the material to the deck?

I bought 3 rolls of this stuff for my boat as well. Seems to be a decent quality and the price was right so ill be doing the install as soon as it warms up. Did you have to use any extra adhesive I know when you purchase it the recommend sila flex just wondering if it's necessary.

I know what the circles are lol; I was asking how you managed to cut them out so precisely. Your attention to detail with the capping of the inspection ports with the grooves lined up helps with the ‘professional’ look.

I wanted to do mine but I am still a bit hesitant.

It looks great and wonderful but I question when it needs to replaced how much of an absolute pain in butt it is to rip this off the day it needs replacing. My boat has just that simple textured fiberglass non skid as floor, and it gets dirty all the time so thought this would be a good solution.

You only used the peel and stick backing to adhere the material to the deck?
Yes, just go super OCD degreasing and cleaning with acetone before applying. There is no way this stuff is going to move around on its own. Especially since your are constantly walking over it compressing it.

I know what the circles are lol; I was asking how you managed to cut them out so precisely. Your attention to detail with the capping of the inspection ports with the grooves lined up helps with the ‘professional’ look.
lol didn’t mean to be a an a**. I meant to stress the fact they are removable so you can flip them haha

I wanted to do mine but I am still a bit hesitant.

It looks great and wonderful but I question when it needs to replaced how much of an absolute pain in butt it is to rip this off the day it needs replacing. My boat has just that simple textured fiberglass non skid as floor, and it gets dirty all the time so thought this would be a good solution.
All this sticky stuff comes off no problem when heated up with a blow dryer. Way easier than removing painted on stuff.

On my previous boat I would apply Traction Wax to the non-skid to help keep it clean and a bit tacky.

Gator step / sea dek / ultra dek are very similar products. I used gatorstep on my wake boat when I had it. Very nice. They best is if they have a template already for your boat. They add so many boats now it is hard to find a newer model that they do not have. Just prep and stick. Definitely not the budget friendly option but for sure the nicest.

I would be seriously impressed to see the edges not peel up by only using the peel and stick backing.

lol didn’t mean to be a an a**. I meant to stress the fact they are removable so you can flip them haha
I took no offence; I was hesitant to DIY when I saw how perfect the C&C cuts were in installations I saw at the boat show. The cuts you’ve made exceed the expectations I would have doing it myself.

I would be seriously impressed to see the edges not peel up by only using the peel and stick backing.
i only had 1 place that did on the alum all i did was get some cleaner (solvent) then acetone and once dry used spray contact cement on both side BAM hasnt moved in 2 years for extra extra did a small bead of sika around the edge way too easy

i only had 1 place that did on the alum all i did was get some cleaner (solvent) then acetone and once dry used spray contact cement on both side BAM hasnt moved in 2 years for extra extra did a small bead of sika around the edge way too easy
Good to hear.

We're getting ready to do the deck on the venture. Makes up about 18 x 11. Some of that being aluminum hatch covers. Which are 40 inches wide approx. Maybe 42. Problem were having is that hatch covers are painted with black non skid and the rest of the deck is black 1/2inch rubber puzzle lock. Man does it get hot in the summer time. You can sizzle a steak on there. The dogs don't like it. Do the crew wants that grey eva foam. They want to apply it over top of the rubber mat. I told them you better trowl on sika and roll it out as I don't think that adhesive backing will last ontop of rubber. Also wpuld be nice to get the grey with black striped stuff in rolls wider than 35inches so I can do the hatch covers in one piece.

Here is the low budget approach. Amazon EVA. Just added it to the dance floor a few days ago, after doing the cockpit and cabin last year and having it hold up very well. Same process as before. Dance floor was $300 in materials.

The template process is a bit of a pain because of the Faux teak design. If I had selected an EVA sheet with no lines, a clean instal would be a piece of cake. Keeping the lines aligned just takes a bit of extra consideration - especially the middle section where I had to combine two sheets together because they come too narrow out of the box.

Back to the original question about lifting on non-stick deck… no problems at all with that. If you go the the SeaDek website, they have lots of how to DIY resources. They actually recommended using the non-skid as the design template.

Having this stuff installed makes doing maintenance and repairs 100x more enjoyable. It’s comfortable to kneel or lay down on. You can take the engine cowling off and place it on the floor without worrying about scratching or sliding. If you drop a cannon ball on the floor, no big deal. Crab traps and the Dog aren’t sliding around the dance floor when you are getting on plane. Very functional stuff, beyond just looking pretty.
Sorry, maybe it’s been asked already, but, what about fish blood and staining? Does it wash off no problem? Doesn't smell post a large Hali kill?

Nice work there Sailfish - you have more guts than I taking on the project on your own. Sure looks great, and clearly you are far more talented than I would ever hope to be. The end product is totally worth the investment of time and I assume a fair amount of sweat equity.

Sorry, maybe it’s been asked already, but, what about fish blood and staining? Does it wash off no problem? Doesn't smell post a large Hali kill?
All good so far a light power wash and it really comes clean , like ive said before ive had over 2500 people on it since ive put it on. on the edges got a little bit of wear spots from 6 years of hard use but other then that holding up great , I DEFINATLY would do it again. as for smell none but I am always washing my boat like anything if you let fish slim and hali slime bake on and dont wash your boat will stink LOL
I was kinda the test boat back then when we first saw the "seadeck" at the ICAST convention. as I was skeptical like everyone else but ive been super happy with it , What I really like at end of day my backs not killing or kneees as that lil bit of cushion REALLY helps.

Good luck wolf

All good so far a light power wash and it really comes clean , like ive said before ive had over 2500 people on it since ive put it on. on the edges got a little bit of wear spots from 6 years of hard use but other then that holding up great , I DEFINATLY would do it again. as for smell none but I am always washing my boat like anything if you let fish slim and hali slime bake on and dont wash your boat will stink LOL
I was kinda the test boat back then when we first saw the "seadeck" at the ICAST convention. as I was skeptical like everyone else but ive been super happy with it , What I really like at end of day my backs not killing or kneees as that lil bit of cushion REALLY helps.

Good luck wolf
Just ordered 2 rolls. I’ll do it in the next 3 weeks.

Just make sure its really really clean I used that TSP stuff and rinsed very well and scrubbedthat surface has to be very clean and dry.

Back