Boat Cleaning

APAShooter

I'm taking my 20' Starcraft with a 150HP Merc out to the coast in August to do 2 or 3 days of fishing out of Port Edward. It's a freshwater boat set up for fishing lakes but my question is what precautions do i need to take putting it in the salt? I'm assuming it's a good idea to wash it and the trailer off everytime i pull it out of the water (carwash) but do i need to flush out the motor everytime as well? Thanks for any help!

Make sure your zincs are up to date. External and any internal ones. If you’re only fishing for a couple of days then I personally would wash everything at the end of the trip when you get home. That’s my opinion anyways. Watch for any seaweed around your brakes on the trailer. I’ve had issues with eel grass in my brakes in the past. It’s beautiful up there. I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself.

Clean any oxidation off your zincs. Make sure you have flushing earmuffs to flush out saltwater. Spray your trailer leaf springs with Fluid Film. Wash above water components off the boat daily. Lastly, rinse your trailer down after launching or you might have sticky calipers.

I flush my motor with fresh every time I get home from fishing. Not sure if that is necessary but saltwater is hard on things and its easy to do.

Clean any oxidation off your zincs. Make sure you have flushing earmuffs to flush out saltwater. Spray your trailer leaf springs with Fluid Film. Wash above water components off the boat daily. Lastly, rinse your trailer down after launching or you might have sticky calipers.
So if we are camped out there for 3 days, fishing each day you suggest flushing the motor each day when i pull it out?

I’m not sure if I need to but I flush both my inboard and outboard every time I use them. However, on longer trips when it’s not convenient, it doesn’t bother me too much
If I can’t flush it EVERY time. After all, many boats sit months in the salt without a flush..

I spray off everything, and flush motors for no less than 20 minutes each using the flushing hookup (although the other day I flushed it for several hours because I forgot about it - kinda flooded the driveway! :D

I also hand wash the boat at least once a week or so if it has been in the salt.

I’m not sure if I need to but I flush both my inboard and outboard every time I use them. However, on longer trips when it’s not convenient, it doesn’t bother me too much
If I can’t flush it EVERY time. After all, many boats sit months in the salt without a flush..
I wondered about this. So many people are moored and don't flush after every trip. Sure, flushing every time is probably best, but how bad is it really if it is every second/third/10th time?

I will still flush every time, but as you said, if I am away, or can't flush one time for whatever reason I wont sweat it.

When you get to your destination, allow the trailer hubs to cool for a bit before launching, and if you have Bearing buddies give them some grease before launching. Spray down trailer with salt away especially around springs and brakes. Don't be too concerned with flushing the motors but don't shut them off hot, allow to idle for a few min. When you pick up the boat after your stay wash everything down with salt away and flush engine with salt away, leaving the residue inside the engine. and add a bit more grease to your hubs. Check hub temps a few times on way home. When you get home go play in a lake to flush motor.

I'm taking my 20' Starcraft with a 150HP Merc out to the coast in August to do 2 or 3 days of fishing out of Port Edward. It's a freshwater boat set up for fishing lakes but my question is what precautions do i need to take putting it in the salt? I'm assuming it's a good idea to wash it and the trailer off everytime i pull it out of the water (carwash) but do i need to flush out the motor everytime as well? Thanks for any help!
Just give the motor a good fresh water flush when you're done and the trailer a good spray down as well. I keep my boat in the salt year round (no fresh water at the dock) and never had any issues.
Obviously clean zincs are super important when leaving the boat in the salt but i wouldn't sweat 2-3 days.
Just my 2 cents.....

If you are using the motors each day there is no problem..flush them when you get home. You only need to prevent salt water from evaporating away and leaving the salt behind inside your engine or leg. That only happens over longer periods of non use. I would find a wand car wash shortly after hitting the road on your way home and rinsing off the boat and trailer...then run the motors on the hose when you get home.

Back