Blackcod/Sable Fish

Twenty years ago I was running a crew boat for a logging camp situated about half way up Bute Inlet. The company log boom hung out over water that was 500 feet deep and a few of the crew fished for red snapper and also caught quite a few sable fish of about eight to ten pound average just at dark in the spring. These were superb eating fish and the camp cook was always pushing the guys to catch more. But pulling these fish up through 400 or more feet of water on a rod and reel was a little too much like work and the novelty soon wore off.

We got into them out at the chicken ranch a few times in June. Shallow too, 170, and biting anything.
They are a tad oily for my taste. AKA "Alaska Black Cod"

A liar will assume you are lying

My son and I got into a fair number on our trip up to Alder Bay this summer. None of them were very big, maybe three or so pounds. We could have kept a whole bunch, but we just kept enough to freeze for a good batch of smoked Alaska Black Cod, mmmmm. We caught them on the standard herring and speader bar, or hoochie/herring on a spreader
down around 300-400 feet deep.

Down here between Neah Bay and Lapush out about 35 miles out. They are usually out in the muddy grounds and most are deeper than 550. I have caught them down as deep as 880' for the most part they are out in the deep water flats500-900' in our yankee land. This is where the commercials get them. They are not hard to catch at all.

I've got quite a few small ones in prawn traps before in about 300 feet of water.Always let them go as I thought they were a bit small. May have to try one this winter.
Going to try and fish them in the deep water for sure. As soon as it settles down!! Tough weather lately here.

My mouth is watering just thinking about Alaskan Black Cod (Sable). I do a simple receipe with a white cream sauce, a little garlic and black fresh peper. Simply poach the cod in this sauce until it starts to flake apart. If the sauce isn't thick enough to your liking then add a little corn starch. Serve with mashed potatoes, pour a little sauce on them and enjoy. Remember this is very rich so take smaller portions than you would usually. If I hadn't done scallops last night and wasn't invited out tonight, this might of been tonights dinner. I forgot to mention that the cod that I use is smoked, thus the added richness and flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back