Big Sturgeon in Lake of the Woods???

Sushihunter

I got an email from a friend that describes a huge Sturgeon caught in Lake of the Woods near Kenora, ON.

After some google searching, I can't find any evidence of a Sturgeon fishery in that lake. My guess is that somebody grabbed the photo and wrote a story about it.

Here's the email I got:

securedownload-1.jpg

Lake of the Woods ...... A Must See... An Amazing Fish!!
THIS STORY IS SO UNIQUE THAT THE KENORA DAILY MINER AND NEWS HAS NOT RUN IT YET!!!!

LAKE OF THE WOODS..................... KENORA , ONTARIO CANADA

Another Minnow
This is an interesting picture and story even if you aren't into fishing,
But please show it to anyone you know that likes to fish.
FYI: This sturgeon is still alive, just worn out from the fight.
As the sports fishermen they are, they turned him loose after the photo.

This Sturgeon was caught on the LAKE OF THE WOODS , KENORA , ONTARIO two weeks ago.
It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs and measured out at 11'1".
It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours, and 4 dozen beers, for the
4 guys taking turns at the reeling it in.
Any Sturgeon OVER about five feet has to be released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water.
They are brood / breeding stock and probably older than most of us.

I'm guessing that someone here has seen this photo before and might know the true story about this amazing fish. My bet is that it is a Fraser River fish.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

That fish was caught on the fraser a guide by the name of Curtis Bessey he's the guy at the left end of the pic, we fish with him every year great guy!

That fish has been said to be caught in alot of places.lol

As an "ex-Winnipeger" and someone who had a place on Lake of the Woods and spent my summers in the Kenora area....there ARE Lake Sturgeon in the Winnipeg River which does flow from Lake of the Woods into Lake Winnipeg.

There are sturgeon in the river so it may not be too far fetched that they ARE in Lake of the Woods but I don't ever recall hearing of them being caught in the Lake?? There are sturgeon in a few areas on the east side of Manitoba in tributaries that flow into Lake Winnipeg. We caught one YEARS ago by absolute fluke while casting for pickerel on a moose hunt. It was only about 2-2 1/2 feet long but VERY surprising to say the least when I was workin' to put some dinner on the table.

Actually just did a bit of googling and found that down in Minnesota (Lake of the Woods is shared between Minnesota, Manitoba and Ontario) they do have a fishery in the lake that allows one to be harvested.

Actually that fish was caught late October 2008 by the mentioned guide who works for Vic at STS...... nice fish for sure!! It was a 11'4" (IIRC) on the "old" scale..... beats my best by 12", but then again, I did it all by myself.....:D.... my "clients" with me were afraid of what the fish could do to them!!!

Mike

WOW Kildonen,,,,cant you just get a long and lighten up just a little its a fish story for **** sakes!!! And if you notice no HANDS OR FINGERS IN THE GILLS,,,,,,,,[:X]

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Back