Big Q

went to the Big Q today despite having a broken hand. Fished in the zoo at the handicap platform til about 1. Got my 2 and lost a few more. kinda slow today, only 2 others ho's kept.

possibly...ther was about 10 guys on the platform so he might have been one of em.I was tryin not to pay too much attention to the newb show.

Edited by - chevyshaulass on 10/17/2004 19:03:42

What did you use? i am gonna fish it on friday. I dont need to bother with waders do i? Would blue foxes work?

beachcomber NANOOSE

got em on the dentist setup. You might not need wader but they always make river fishing that much easier. Try your blue foxes up by the trestle...lots of ho's but theyre really spooky due to low water and a spinner tossed 6 inches in frnt of their beek might just be the ticket.

Sounds good and congrats on those fish! how big were they? I like up at the trestles less crowded! I probaly will do C&R but may keep a chromer. What time did you fish. Im gonna try first light hopefully not crowded!

beachcomber NANOOSE

I really want to start!!! I am getting a rod next week a 6wt i am not sure if it could handle a coho? What do you think? Also i thought there was a baitban on the big Qualicum? And do fish need to be hatchery?

beachcomber NANOOSE

I think you can keep 4 but only 2 larger than 35cm. I am going to give flyfishing a go this weekend! What type of fly should i use?

beachcomber NANOOSE

Kelly - if you are new to fly fishing and want to try it out somewhere here's a piece of advice. Don't start at the Big Q during gear season. It's just too crowded. My advice would be to start off from the beach or a less popular river like the Englishmen. The beach is great because there is unlimited space to back cast so you wont lose your entire flybox to the trees. As for flies, pretty much any streamer patterns, muddlers, epoxy minnows, and lazer neals have to be my favorites. Just like RiverHunter said, a weighted fly is very good for the river to get the fly down to the fish quickly. Good luck fishin!Im off work for a couple due to a hand injury so maybe i'll hit the meat show tomorrow?

would a split shot work for gettin the fly down with floating line?how far up have the cohos gotten?any springs or chum?

Yep goin up on friday probly im scared too hook a big chum or spring cuz my rods only a medium action spinning rod that i just got recently lolbut i guess i could just snap the line if i hooked one i'll be using 10lb. any way.

I was wondering were i should go and what i should use to get a ho? I was thinkin near the e&n bridge with a blue fox and spoons. Maybe down below with a float if i beat the crowd!

beachcomber NANOOSE

I'm hittin it on fri as well, but I would say go farther up to avoid the mad crowds. personally spoons have never worked for me at the big Q, spinners(small) or wool seem to be the ticket.

whats the limits? 4 - coho 2 over 35 and 4 chinook 2 over 62 and any combo that equals 4? Should i expect to catch them? How lond should my line be from my float to my weight?

beachcomber NANOOSE

Back