Big Lings at Thrasher

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18251&stc=1&d=1432231817
I think I saw 3 guests and a guide in your photo...I assume the guide would be you.
Do you always take your limit when out with a party of 3 guests and keep the fish, as I understand it, you can NOT give your catch to your guests.
Most I think would agree the catch in your photo post was excessive!
Really nothing to brag about.
Was this the total catch for 3 days?
I doubt it as there is no indication the fish had been gutted.
Just how many fish did you guys take in 3 days?
Did you get my post regarding the Yelloweye Rock Fish and big lings would likely have been 20 years old.
Such a shame to take them...the big lings are generally so wormy I doubt your guests would eat them.
Really don't want to rag on you, but I think you need to be more aware of conservation of our resource.

....do you think at some point perhaps he maybe pulling your chain a little to see how some u are biting?? there is so many things that effect the ling cod pop.and just because a couple good anglers catch a few the sky is falling... I have question.. how many of you guys have taken that just under ling.. in those heavy fished area's or any area.. oh ya it okay its just one it won't hurt... that just under has never spawned yet ( thus the size restriction).... so its not okay.. perhaps some of you guys should be looking out for some of the illegal jigging boats coming out of the Vancouver area( they will not have a C number on them) jigging & killing over there limits and any bottom critter that comes up... If you see them ..please report them.....currently they're pounding some of the reefs and will be void
of all bottom critters shortly........

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18251&stc=1&d=1432231817
I think I saw 3 guests and a guide in your photo...I assume the guide would be you.
Do you always take your limit when out with a party of 3 guests and keep the fish, as I understand it, you can NOT give your catch to your guests.
Most I think would agree the catch in your photo post was excessive!
Really nothing to brag about.
Was this the total catch for 3 days?
I doubt it as there is no indication the fish had been gutted.
Just how many fish did you guys take in 3 days?
Did you get my post regarding the Yelloweye Rock Fish and big lings would likely have been 20 years old.
Such a shame to take them...the big lings are generally so wormy I doubt your guests would eat them.
Really don't want to rag on you, but I think you need to be more aware of conservation of our resource.

Not that i have to answer to you but i'm not in that picture. It was 4 clients and it wasn't even their limit which is 3 per person of Lings AND Rockfish........just a nice combo catch with Chinooks as well. They already had their 2 Halibut each on the 1st 2 days.

You speak of conservation but let's look at the big picture......clients like these released quite a few Halibut and Salmon as well as keeping these few bottomfish. Nothing compared to what 1 commercial boat can catch in an hour.

These guys saved up all year for this one fishing trip and took home a combination of fish to feed their families all year. Guys like you go out 20 times or more....how many fish you take home or are you a vegetarian?

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/...1&d=1432231817
So it's ok to take a catch like the one in your photo because
"These guys saved up all year for this one fishing trip and took home a combination of fish to feed their families all year"....
REALLY
No response from you on the age of these bottom fish.
It's ok in your mind because the commercial guys do it.
and to answer your question "how many fish you take home or are you a vegetarian?"
I take no more than my 6 halibut and 20 springs per year and invest many many more dollars in fishing for them then the clients you serve who drop in from all parts of the world to partake in our wonderful resource.
ie five of your trips with 4 aboard taking 2 springs and one halibut each exceeds my annual take. (I know you guys get 30 springs per year.)
I do not fish Lings or Rock Fish of any kind. Leave that to those who make it a priority. Will not mention nationality.
I rather doubt you and I will ever see eye to eye on what is "Sport" as we have different priorities.

fogged in... take a pill.... go to a meeting understand what is really going on...this is everyone resource to be share equal by all Canadians or whom visits our beautiful country.....

fogged in... take a pill.... go to a meeting understand what is really going on...this is everyone resource to be share equal by all Canadians or whom visits our beautiful country.....

thanks for the advice.
Been to many a meeting.
Exactly what is it that I do not understand?
I have no problem with sharing our resource
I just find the catch in the photo posted distasteful and the reason for it inadequate.

fogged in .. are you saying that guys who don't have a chance to fish regularly shouldn't be allowed to take home their limit? You seem to take your limit. Just because they take it on one trip shouldn't make it wrong.

thanks for the advice.
Been to many a meeting.
Exactly what is it that I do not understand?
I have no problem with sharing our resource
I just find the catch in the photo posted distasteful and the reason for it inadequate.

I be thinking it was post there for u to take the bait............... I will once again sign off this thread as its fishing season ...lol

I be thinking it was post there for u to take the bait............... I will once again sign off this thread as its fishing season ...lol

more good advice...me too
we got a long way from Thrasher Rock...I apologize for my part in that.

What's with all the bashing of people on this forum lately?

Is it legal.....yes!!!

You can choose to harvest them or not.

Leave the preaching to sundays if that's your cup of tea.

What's with all the bashing of people on this forum lately?

Is it legal.....yes!!!

You can choose to harvest them or not.

Leave the preaching to sundays if that's your cup of tea.

X2 on that. I'm almost scared to admit I eat what I catch.

yup.... go fish and enjoy..limit your kill to what u need.. remember that under fish needs to go back to get at least one fish spawn in, so it does hurt if retained.. Keep your eye's peeled for the illegal jigging boats coming out of Vancouver and if you see a violation ..please report it....

...have you any idea how long it takes those lings and rock fish to grow to maturity?
Good question, fogged in...

McFarlane and King (2001): "Growth during the first years of life is rapid and up to age 2 it is similar for males and females, both reaching an average length of 45 cm. After age 2, females grow faster than males and the growth of males tapers off at about age 8, whereas females continue to grow rapidly until about age 12–14. For waters off the west coast of Canada, the maximum age recorded for lingcod has been 14 years for males and 20 years for females. Females reach lengths in excess of 100 cm, whereas males rarely exceed lengths of 90 cm".

So - in other words - the largest and biggest lingcods over 100 cm are all females and experienced spawners. Wouldn't it make sense to preserve these females to keep the stocks up? Using an upper slot limit of release of lings over 100cm? The "key" to future stocks - as you mentioned fogged-in...

Same argument could be used on why we should release gravid female rockfish using descenders in the spring.....

Figure below from:

Updated Rebuilding Analysis for Lingcod. August 8, 2001. Tom Jagielo1 and Jim Hastie2
1. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way N
Olympia, WA 98501
2. National Marine Fisheries Service
2725 Montlake Blvd. E.
Seattle, WA 98112

LCN: US-Vancouver and Columbia, and LCS: Monterey, Eureka, Conception areas.

Attachments

• lingcod females.jpg
    lingcod females.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 314
http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/content/71/8/2171.full.pdf+html
Research: Saving Big, Old, Fat, Fertile, Female Fish Essential To Sustain Fisheries, Replenish Stocks

Recreational fishermen prize large trophy fish. Commercial fishing gear targets big fish. After all, larger fish feed the egos of humans as well as their bellies.

A new compilation of research from around the world now shows that big, old, fat, fertile, female fish – known as BOFFFFs to scientists – are essential for ensuring that fishery stocks remain sustainable.

"Information on many different kinds of freshwater and marine fish tell the same story," says lead author Mark Hixon of the University of Hawai'i at Mânoa. "The loss of big fish decreases the productivity and stability of fishery stocks." This loss, known as "size and age truncation," typically occurs in all fisheries.

Methods of saving big fish include slot limits, where regulations allow only the capture of medium-sized fish, as well as marine reserves, where some fish are allowed to spawn over their entire life spans.

There are multiple ways BOFFFFs benefit fish populations.

First, larger females produce far more eggs than smaller fish. For example, in Hawai'i, a 27-inch bluefish trevally or 'ômilu produces 84 times more eggs than a 12-inch fish.

Second, co-author Dr. Susan Sogard of the National Marine Fisheries Service reports that "larger fish can produce better quality eggs that hatch into young that grow and survive better than young from smaller females."

Third, "BOFFFFs often spawn at different times and places than younger females, which increases the odds that some young will find favorable environments in an unpredictable ocean," adds co-author Darren Johnson of California State University at Long Beach.

Finally, old fish can outlive periods that are unfavorable for reproduction, providing a "storage effect" where BOFFFFs are ready to spawn successfully when the time is right.

"Increasingly, fisheries managers are realizing that saving some big old fish is essential to ensure that fished populations are stable and sustainable," says Hixon.

These results were published in a special issue of the ICES Journal of Marine Science dedicated to the memory of Johan Hjort, a Norwegian fisheries scientist who in 1914 published a landmark treatise of fish population changes.

Access the publication online: http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/content/71/8.toc

At last somebody makes some sense! Hey DFO instead of monitoring (doing nothing) do something that will preserve the stocks for future generations. Great post agentaqua...

...But I suspect that the many RCA's may be operating as nursing grounds from which the population can expand
That was what was promoted during the development and imposition of the RCAs. I don't think that is what really was rolled out - or what actually happened on the ground, though. Thanks wiseguy...

I can't take anymore of this thread. This is really unfortunate as this thread goes on of how many are on here preaching. Forums like this do real damage to our fishery when I hear some of things being said on here. I personally like to take my kids out occasionally,and I think its a bit hypocritical to start coming down on bottom fish fishing. You think the salmon your tossing in the boat aren't in same league..? You don't want to impact fish and that makes you feel good then maybe pick a different hobby.

I would like to add that many of people that are complaining there is no ling cod need to explore more..There are many places on the island (and yes south is one of them) that have great populations of rock fish that have gotten better since RCA's were established. These areas are not in high use areas... That is the beauty of fishing for them is that there are tons of areas where people don't fish you can enjoy. Thrasher? Its totally a popular area what would you expect?

The fisherman throughout island/mainland have been cut to one per day rock fish and one ling cod in most area with lots of of RCA areas. They also have an annual limit/min size. Those declines aren't just fisherman they are part of the environment changing as well.. How would you all feel if it was totally closed? My feeling is this thread has come up because of the Vancouver situation with illegal fishing by some illegal guides. Take the anger to that group and do it properly through your SFAB representatives...

Sorry may come across a little rude, but I just don't want any more restrictions and give DFO any great ideas. This forum does get read. Were restricted enough already. Just fish responsibility take what you need, and report poaching/offenders.

Introducing a slot limit in my mind does nothing,
Let's say we must toss back all those females over 100cm, well they have to get there first it's not like they jump from undersize to 100 overnight
They just get taken at 70, 80 or 90 cm is all
So how would a slot limit help? how do you protect them until they are fat mature, fertile breeders
Personally I do not keep anything over 15-18 lbs
And if I did I am totally within my rights to do so,
However my own personal ethics puts that fish back so that in hopes my kids and grandkids can enjoy this wonderful resource for years to come
JMO

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Back