Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

I run my plugs as short as 15ft. off the wire. if I am on the surface, say top 60ft. I am further back, the deeper I go the closer I am for maneuverability purposes and attraction from my cannonball.
I’ve tried shorter, and longer. But for me I get most hits at around the 40’ mark. Unless on freshwater. Then I’m out as far as I can reasonably go. Depending on how much other traffic

At the Tyee pool, over 80% of the fish are caught on plugs, under 20% on a spoon.

To illustrate how different it can be, I suspect that this ratio is reversed in Sooke. Outside of Swifsure Bank near Port Renfrew, I’ve never caught a spring on a plug. And while I’m sure it has happened, it’s very rare. Based on what I’ve heard, it’s all bait, spoons and hootchies.

Last edited:
I thought I was a fast troller lol. I’d top out closer to 4. On the slow end I’m sameish around 2.5mph +\-. I don’t know I’ve ever trolled at 6 but maybe I should crank it up a bit? Must get some hard hits at that speed.
If you are into trolling fast and you think you are going fast...go faster. :)

I am always varying up, down and all around. If you go through a pod of fish at or around the depth your gear is at, do a donut and do circles and figure 8's around them. Don't drive away from them.

In June i was using a Sandlance 4 inch spoon....and 4 inch Herring spoon...green...tried bigger ones...nothing......We boated 4 springs that day when we made the switch.....spot was west side of Haida gwaii off skidegate channel....they were Andrew Paines spoons in Langford....he is the guides best friend as they say....colour, size, who knows,,,try them all

In June i was using a Sandlance 4 inch spoon....and 4 inch Herring spoon...green...tried bigger ones...nothing......We boated 4 springs that day when we made the switch.....spot was west side of Haida gwaii off skidegate channel....they were Andrew Paines spoons in Langford....he is the guides best friend as they say....colour, size, who knows,,,try them all
Always said you could drag a lucky can up in haida qwaii and catch fish lol

So true spring Fever....But listen....my nephew attended the Langford meeting...with DFO....50/50 whether we have a full no retention this year....and i expect at least a reduction on springs from a limit of 4 to 2 again....last year it was put in june 15 until end of July i believe ..300 people mostly guides and small lodge owners on the island attended.....But i will say this about my trips to Haida Gwaii....that was june 9 for 3 days in August same location...it was a grind....everything...cut plug,,,,spoons etc but when they go through .....then they go through and Aug 15 onward was not good....this was the west side at mouth where Skidegate channel meets the the open sea.....not offshore....was to rough to run down to Englefield......Anyhow...thats my news.....i wonder what people are thinking about the DFO signalling a full closure around the island

To illustrate how different it can be, I suspect that this ratio is reversed in Sooke. Outside of Swifsure Bank near Port Renfrew, I’ve never caught a spring on a plug. And while I’m sure it has happened, it’s very rare. Based on what I’ve heard, it’s all bait, spoons and hootchies.
But how many Sooke fishers try plugs? Very few I suspect (know). The Sooke thing for chinooks has always been trolling with flashers, with bait first, then hootchies or spoons and lots of lead, not because that's the only thing that works, but more, that's what dad did.

But how many Sooke fishers try plugs? Very few I suspect (know). The Sooke thing for chinooks has always been trolling with flashers, with bait first, then hootchies or spoons and lots of lead, not because that's the only thing that works, but more, that's what dad did.
I fish Sooke and have tried plugs. Nothing. (And I only use dummy flashers.) I suppose if I used a plug around Sooke long enough, I might catch one. But when fish are being caught with everything except plugs, it’s hard to put in a lot time to be able to say “I caught one on a plug”. As I said before, Swiftsure Bank was different and plugs work well out there, but that’s such a different fishery than scouring the shoreline. Retiring in 2 months, so maybe I’ll put in a lot of time dragging some Tomics around Sooke to see if I can make it happen.

Has anyone had success at Otter Point, for example, with plugs? Even one spring?

Try a smaller size white plug that's what sometime works on the Inside (in places where plugs rarely work I'm thinking the south end of the SoG).

Has anyone had success at Otter Point, for example, with plugs? Even one spring?
YES. and just a spoon no flasher but I will only do that when there is no one around or near me as a fish can really run and I dont want to be getting messed in others gear...I will add the small micros 3 inch AP sppon has been great last few years as the bait has been very small. Use whatever your confident in. after 40 years of being on water you learn patterns etc

I fish Sooke and have tried plugs. Nothing. (And I only use dummy flashers.) I suppose if I used a plug around Sooke long enough, I might catch one. But when fish are being caught with everything except plugs, it’s hard to put in a lot time to be able to say “I caught one on a plug”. As I said before, Swiftsure Bank was different and plugs work well out there, but that’s such a different fishery than scouring the shoreline. Retiring in 2 months, so maybe I’ll put in a lot of time dragging some Tomics around Sooke to see if I can make it happen.

Closer to Sooke but yes. One of my bets fish two years ago just of Secretary and another following the 75 ft contour NW of Possession. Unfortunately I found the faster trolling needed for plugs made it difficult while amongst lots of boats doing the usual circles. I found I was always riding up someone's stern.

Back