Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

No flashers other than for use with hoochies, which I rarely use unless I am desperate. My cannon balls are my attractors. I was the very first person to offer glow coated cannonballs commercially in my lead business many, many, many years ago. I do at times use dodgers though, mostly as an actionizer as aposed to an attractor.
What are your recommendations for Glow paint?

What are your recommendations for Glow paint?
Glow paint for plugs & spoons? There are lots of good companies out there now. It's not like the old days when we didn't have the internet. Even some dollar store carry acrylic glows that can be clear coated. For cannon balls its a process that few have delved into. Paint does not stay on., but you could powder coat with some of the new powders that they make. I worked hard to perfect my process, I won't let it go, but I will coat for you once my equiptment is fully installed.

the idea with fishing large plugs/spoons/herring is more that you are keeping smaller fish off your presentation than attracting larger fish . In saying that I still only fish large presentations

Always, unless i am in the shalows and struture where i need to match the hatch with smaller lures. i troll faster than the average angler too. 2.5 up to 6mph depending on tide or if fishing in a terminal zone in Aug, through Oct. then i go slower at times. I also jig more than troll now a days. i troll both spoons and plugs at the same time. which ever goes off first is what i switch out to. i rarely use flashers.
How far back from the down rigger line do you have the plug or spoon? I've only ever fished with flashers.

How far back from the down rigger line do you have the plug or spoon? I've only ever fished with flashers.
Clip is directly above the swivel of the cannonball connection and I use 48in release set-ups, then 6ft to 50ft depending on my target species and what area I am in. I think that sometimes while fishing in the shallows we often forget to switch out from cannonballs to slip sinkers or mooching weights. :)

Last edited:
the idea with fishing large plugs/spoons/herring is more that you are keeping smaller fish off your presentation than attracting larger fish . In saying that I still only fish large presentations
My target is quality fish, always has been and always will be. As guest on another anglers boat, I always respect the captains rules and gameplan. To a point. :)

Big spoons I run 10’ back over the dummy .

Plugs for chinook I run 50 minimum to give them the room to work and track back and forth . Learnt how to fish plugs on big bank and south bank back in the early 2000’s fishing with Rick Taylor, guy was the best offshore salmon fisherman I’ve ever met .

Plugs for chinook I run 50 minimum to give them the room to work and track back and forth . Learnt how to fish plugs on big bank and south bank back in the early 2000’s fishing with Rick Taylor, guy was the best offshore salmon fisherman I’ve ever met .
Can you run a plug 50' back on one side and a flasher/hootchie at normal 15/20' setback on the other side without them tangling?

I don't think any predator is going to pass on a easy meal.
Predators pass up food often, they will show zero interest, turn and go the other way. Either they have the feed bag on or if you can create a hit from a variety of cues.

Last edited:

Yes the big bank is where I graded out my elite group of plugs. Agree about set back …..50-80 feet back for me depending on the plug

Of course people can use whatever (legal) gear they like: I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. Similarly, the variables that determine success at catching fish are numerous. But people offer their experiences and opinions about what works better than something else. And these experiences and opinions differ, unsurprisingly. It’s interesting to discuss and compare them, that’s all.
It is amazing what works when there is confidence in using it. Two guys can run totally different gear but yet have their success. In most instances it can take years of experience.

Last edited:
Obviously the spoon guys have no confidence!
I find it amazing how different gear kills it at different locations, but targeting the same fish stock.

Back