Best way to rig salmon bellies for halibut?

Islandgirl

I have never fished with them before, and I am going north next week and thought I would give them a try...what is the best way to tie up the leaders

quote:Originally posted by Islandgirl
[br]I have never fished with them before, and I am going north next week and thought I would give them a try...what is the best way to tie up the leaders

Get the biggest circle hooks you can find, and snell them with some 80 to 100 pound test Triplefish mono line (or similar). Give yourself about a 24" to 36" leader and tie a good heavy swivel to the end. Use a big Salmon snap to attach it to the spreader bar. I personally cut off the cheap snaps that come with the spreader bars.

Thread your chunks of Salmon belly onto the hook and leave a bit of a tail to flap in the current.

Also, I take a file and sharpen the hooks to a razor point. Sometimes I will also take two pairs of vice-grips and bend the hook so that the point is not blocked by the eye. Just a little twist off to the side is all you need. I think that it allows the point to grab much easier.

I agree with Sushi, although I leave a pretty long tail and split it like a twin tail jig. Pretty good action. Throw a big glow hootchie on the leader and you are good to go.

quote:Originally posted by Kramer
[br]I agree with Sushi, although I leave a pretty long tail and split it like a twin tail jig. Pretty good action. Throw a big glow hootchie on the leader and you are good to go.

Good idea on the hootchy - I have sometimes used a big Spin-N-Glo on the leader, but Halibut teeth are pretty hard on them - they don't last too long if the fishing is good. [xx(]

Question about using Circle hooks: Is it legal to fish with BARBED Circle hooks?

quote:Originally posted by Pajan
[br]Question about using Circle hooks: Is it legal to fish with BARBED Circle hooks?

Yes, perfectly legal.

The big question I have, (and would love to put in front of a judge, if I could afford the lawyer), is what dertimines what fish you are fishing for?

A few years ago, we hooked a nice Coho while putting down Halibut gear. It was pretty funny, as the fish made two jumps about 20' from the boat before we even knew he was hooked on our line.

Last year, we caught a bunch of Halibut while trolling for Salmon with flashers and anchovies. So, who is to say that I couldn't put barbed hooks on the same rig and say that "I'm fishing for Halibut"?

Or, I could put a large spoon down without a flasher for Halibut. Good chance that a Chinook would hit that.

My understanding of the regs. is that it depends on what species I am targeting - not the gear I am using. If I want to go bucktailing for Halibut and Rockfish, who gets to say that is illegal?

Otherwise, what is to stop me from using smaller circlehooks with barbs to catch Salmon while I am targeting Rockfish?

Not that I plan on doing any of this, but I do think the regulation is poorly written and could be open to abuse.

If you are fishing for Halibut with barbs on your hook and you catch a Salmon with that barbed hook then you must release the salmon because you caught it with a barbed hook. If you are fishing for Salmon with a barbless hook and you catch a Halibut then yes you can keep the Halibut because you have not broken any laws. How easy is that.... hope it helps. Steve.

It's nice zap strapping your bait to the hook shank,
when you're down there a ways. Saves a little checking:D

quote:Originally posted by fishinfool
[br]If you are fishing for Halibut with barbs on your hook and you catch a Salmon with that barbed hook then you must release the salmon because you caught it with a barbed hook. If you are fishing for Salmon with a barbless hook and you catch a Halibut then yes you can keep the Halibut because you have not broken any laws. How easy is that.... hope it helps. Steve.

OK, I'll take the bait... [}:)]

If you catch a Salmon on a big barbed Halibut hook, and you release it - there's a pretty good chance it's going to die because you just ripped it's gills out with a barbed hook.

Personally, I would think this should be considered "bycatch".

I don't have the regs in front of me to quote from them, but I believe that it comes down to what you are targetting, not the gear that you are using.

You are correct S.H., as salmon could bite on halibut gear or vice versa, it comes down to what the angler is targeting.
makes no sense to throw back a dead salmon [xx(]

from my past expereince with hali fishing all you need is your bait down were they are and you will be realing em in[8D] i dont think the care if it looks like a porsche or anything as long as the bait is fresh your all good to go

thanks for all the great idea's with the salmon bellies...I will try a few of them with week...

Try 'splanin' that to the fish cops
Yeah officer I'm targetting halis with this flasher and chovie combo
:D
But I see your point[:p]
cheers

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter
[br]
[br]If you are fishing for Halibut with barbs on your hook and you catch a Salmon with that barbed hook then you must release the salmon because you caught it with a barbed hook. If you are fishing for Salmon with a barbless hook and you catch a Halibut then yes you can keep the Halibut because you have not broken any laws. How easy is that.... hope it helps. Steve.

If you catch a Salmon on a big barbed Halibut hook, and you release it - there's a pretty good chance it's going to die because you just ripped it's gills out with a barbed hook.

I don't have the regs in front of me to quote from them, but I believe that it comes down to what you are targetting, not the gear that you are using.

Regarding Barbed Circle Hooks --- Thanx everyone for all the info. Have only fished BC waters out of Peregrine Lodge and there the guides did all the rigging. This July I(we, 3 of us) will be doing our own thing out of Sidney.

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas
[br]Try 'splanin' that to the fish cops
Yeah officer I'm targetting halis with this flasher and chovie combo
:D
But I see your point[:p]
cheers

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter
[br]

Sporting and legal issues aside, I'd show 'em the pack for the teaser head that shows "For Salmon, Cod, Bottomfish and Halibut".

Back