Best time to go to Barkley Sound Inside

cohobankie

The past two years I have had the pleasure of exploring the inside waters of Barkley Sound. The first year we killed it at the end of July and then this last summer we did pretty poorly around the same time. Just getting your opinion as to the best time for Springs and Coho on the inside? We have smaller boats and the weather in the past has made it difficult to get offshore. Spent most of our time at Kirby and Meares. Would really like to spend more time at Diplock and Swale. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

For numbers, it's tough to beat mid-June, though my experience is you have to go through lots of teeners to get anything that begins with a "2". But what they lack in size they sure make up for in **** and vinegar--lots of line gets peeled on those early season migrants.

Even the odd coho that early.

Thanks sharphooks, that is on the inside? That would be nice I am more interested in number and fun than keeping meat piles. I have heard that June can be pretty calm offshore as well. We were looking at the third week of August to hit Diplock and the Wall.

I think most guys consider "inside" being anything inside of the surf-line. I fish out of B'field in June and there are lots of places to fish that are closer to town then D-lock and Swale so I've never had the pleasure. End-July, I think most of the guys on this forum would suggest going outside the surf line. Way more fish out on the highway that time of year. Just pick your weather.

End August I fish out of Uke. When the weather gets crappy I had some stellar days going inside but in my experience, you have to hunt around a bit to find them, then stay on them like stink on you know what once they're under your boat.

we've had some stellar days in april, may and june. Never fished there past that i dont think. In my experience its a on/off fishery. Absolutely slay em one weekend, dick all the next. so to answer your uestion. Who knows!! lol

Our best weekend last year was may 24 weekend.

225280_10150585827745162_654850161_18823858_1334616_n.jpg

May isn't always as good as it was last year, so I would recommend June - August. Not saying the fish aren't there, just they tend to be faster in/out when migrating south as the bait are small and don't tend to hold them long.

Fish in June/July tend to come in and out looking for bait. Lots of the off shore fish are cruising into the Sound looking for bait. If it is there, they stay. Generally there are great feeders in late June (last 2 weeks), and they are down deep usually (80+ feet). Don't ignore the Stamp Chinook, they show up usually in 2nd week of August through to long weekend in September - although most years it seems the long weekend is the tail of the main run. Season starts with small bait, needle fish hoochies and small spoons, then progressively gets bigger bait/spoons/hoochies. I generally switch up to bait for August as the Chins like a tight roller.

As always, tides are king...you need to be fishing the flips and on your game during the magic 2 hours on either side of the flip.

Secret to success is to learn to match the water colour with your bait choices - the water changes up several times during the season and you need to switch colours to match.

hey searun, probably one of the most informative "how to, when to, and what to" posts I've read on this forum. Also, your comment about matching water conditions with bait patterns. Spot on info. I remember a few years ago when the plankton blooms started in late August. If you had the right colour combo on it was brace yourself and fasten the seat belt. If you didn't, it was a scratch at best....

Tx, just a few observations from guiding in Barkley Sound over the years. There is a pattern to it if you watch for it, and a lot of folks miss the water colour thing. Same goes for off shore. Example of that is when the water takes on that green colour - we generally do well on the J-79 in those conditions. Big thing to watch is patterns that set up over the years. I should keep a log book, but so far relying on memory seems to be working...until old timers sets in.

Since we are sharing good knowledge you might want to check this information out. It's from iFish, a forum used mostly by SW Washington and Oregon folks. Lots of water and color information. And thank you for the info up north. Last year we were hit with NW winds for the whole trip not sure what that does to fishing but it sure made it rough for us. I don't think it was a great week for anyone, we even found some offshore charter guys found fishing with us.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=116028

Tx,

I should keep a log book, but so far relying on memory seems to be working...until old timers sets in.

I"ll sell you mine when ya completely looz it Pat lol...

Ive somehow kept motivated to write a full report on every outting... %80 WCVI
On my second book now , theirs a few write-ups !!! "On average" " Beginning of June ", the past 12 years , Diplock , Sanford , Swale , Kirby , Meares , Sail , all inside , is as far as ive had to travel , with great results , x2 with all ur technical data , I just change gear like crazy till i figure it out ,Croation Science , seems ta work most times lol.. save that stuff for u pros... : )
My technical duties are to make sure the Pops are Plentifull and Chilled , and da Prechuito and Calabresse is moist,,,,,

yes , most fish between 80 - 120ft for sure.. 14-18lb avg , stinky bait NOT needed...( Yet lol,,, )

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your take on Full moon tides in Barkley? Good or bad?

We are looking at big tides the first week of August but it is a low in the morning running to a high full moon tides. Or the second week in August which has less of a tidal swing but the mornings are highs going to low series.

You guys are the experts. Last year Fog Ducker appeared to be dry docked at the nook when we were there at the end of July I should have known that spells trouble.

Thanks

We fish when MR Moon tells Mr Wind ta let us sporty's out , on the WCVI atleast !! lol..

m2b , love ta here Nog's take on this....

Best tides are usually a Half moon , least current flow. ( first quarter - last quarter )
Strongest tides are Full moons and New moons ,
Heavy movements will typically mean little movement from Baitfish ,
meaning less actively feeding Salmon..

Full Moon means , Light all day and night.. , meaning they have light for 24hrs ta feed , so they do, when and where they can
Ultimately not giving a specific time for the Salmon to feed aggressively ,which is what we as sporty's look for " Slack Tides "
i believe its Salmon instinct for them to act like this ,

BUt !!! Some of my best fishing has been on days with Full Moons ! , so , take it for what its worth ,

Just get out there and fish !!

Correct me if Im wrong , its what ive been taught !

FD

You guys are the experts. Last year Fog Ducker appeared to be dry docked at the nook when we were there at the end of July I should have known that spells trouble.

Thanks

no expert , just fish to much..

lol , you just missed my Cousin Mike and i , were there on the 6th - 13th august , 1 week outting , i believe the full moon was the 13th ,
we had a REDICULOUS day on the 13th, between Grappler and Yankee Bay ( close to Poett ) , Matts Girlfriend from Poett schooled everyone that day ,
ALOTTA boats at Yankee , , we were hittin LARGE on almost every pass ,
i was actually laughin out loud , dont see those days much inside anymore ,usually have to work for them ,
20-30 feet anchovies,,

fire me pm , see if i can help ur planning..

FD

Nice summary of the moon phases. Only thing I can add is if you have full moon and cloud cover it makes less difference on the bite - the fish don't have as much light to feed all night so you have a stronger bite. Off shore is a whole new story, those guys are active feeders most of the time so it means you can get em, just have to work harder for them.

I have seen it good at various times through the summer on the inside, but we do our yearly trip to Poett for a week every August and it is usually the 3rd week and we do well. This past year from Aug 21-26, we had our limits of springs up to 32lbs on the inside in 4 days. There were 5 of us, and we came home with 26 fish in those 4 days.

We did really well at Pill and along the wall, and a couple other lower spots that actually receive little fishing pressure at all... our little special method! One morning at Pill we had 8 springs by 830 am, and all other boats were on fire too - most unbelievable action I have ever been a part of on the 'chuck!

I have seen it good at various times through the summer on the inside, but we do our yearly trip to Poett for a week every August and it is usually the 3rd week and we do well. This past year from Aug 21-26, we had our limits of springs up to 32lbs on the inside in 4 days. There were 5 of us, and we came home with 26 fish in those 4 days.

We did really well at Pill and along the wall, and a couple other lower spots that actually receive little fishing pressure at all... our little special method! One morning at Pill we had 8 springs by 830 am, and all other boats were on fire too - most unbelievable action I have ever been a part of on the 'chuck!

And those experiences right there are what keep us coming back. Awesome banger:cool:.

My thoughts on the full moon are like I have been told by many fisherman older than me is you can't catch fish if you don't go out and put the lines in the water. Never been scared of a full moon. I've been known to pull a few myself ha ha (in my younger days):p.

Forsure Sculpin, was high-fives all around all morning! It was Aug 24th of this past summer, and just on the inside of pill pt. Was getting a bit hectic with about 20-30 boats in tight running the same tac, but everywhere you looked, 3, 4, 5 boats with fish on at any given time.

All the folks on the other boats were hooting and hollering with the same excitement and disbelief of how unreal it was... will never forget that morning!

Forsure Sculpin, was high-fives all around all morning! It was Aug 24th of this past summer, and just on the inside of pill pt. Was getting a bit hectic with about 20-30 boats in tight running the same tac, but everywhere you looked, 3, 4, 5 boats with fish on at any given time.

All the folks on the other boats were hooting and hollering with the same excitement and disbelief of how unreal it was... will never forget that morning!

Awesome;). Gotta love that. I have experience that once inside at Assitz?(spelling) lighthouse. I have experienced the bight with 20 plus boats on the banks twice where every single boat you looked at was playing a fish. Like I said it's what keep one coming back.

That's what I figured, the later the better. I really appreciate the info. If I recall it was really hot the week you guys are talking about and then it slowed by the first of Sept. but I could be wrong. Sounds like you guys had lights out on the springs which is what I am hoping for.

Back