best prawn trap for the buck

Are you tight for space? If so there is a great selection of folding traps, some cheap ones (20-30bucks), but I think you get what you pay for. There are also some nice ones on the market called Jolly Good (SS frame ,folding traps). The other option would be a commercial style trap (stackable) if you are not worried about space. All will work with the right bait.

Are you tight for space? If so there is a great selection of folding traps, some cheap ones (20-30bucks), but I think you get what you pay for. There are also some nice ones on the market called Jolly Good (SS frame ,folding traps). The other option would be a commercial style trap (stackable) if you are not worried about space. All will work with the right bait.

I use a 5 foot stainless steel commercial and this year i set it with 3 of those cheap foldable bucket traps and everytime the bucket traps outfished it. go figure?

I use a 5 foot stainless steel commercial and this year i set it with 3 of those cheap foldable bucket traps and everytime the bucket traps outfished it. go figure?

Must be the way too go then!!!Thanks Kellya your the man!!

Must be the way too go then!!!Thanks Kellya your the man!!

Did you have that stainless trap on the same line? I was told by a commercial prawner not to mix stailess and steel traps on the same line. I was sceptical, but I tried it and it did seem to help alot with getting each trap fishing well. I usually get anywhere from 5-10 pnds of prawns per trap and I only use commercial gear! I know where to get the commercial traps for $25-30$ each.

Did you have that stainless trap on the same line? I was told by a commercial prawner not to mix stailess and steel traps on the same line. I was sceptical, but I tried it and it did seem to help alot with getting each trap fishing well. I usually get anywhere from 5-10 pnds of prawns per trap and I only use commercial gear! I know where to get the commercial traps for $25-30$ each.

yea rob i set the stainless on the end then a bucket each 50 feet up. Ill try that on the next set 5-10lbs is ushually what i have been getting total on a good day. thanks for the tip

yea rob i set the stainless on the end then a bucket each 50 feet up. Ill try that on the next set 5-10lbs is ushually what i have been getting total on a good day. thanks for the tip

Round traps are the only way to go and the larger the better. Also pick a trap with heavy webbing. Pacific Net & Twine outlets sometimes sell used commercial traps and rope at good prices. I like used rope because it's easy to coil. I find two commercial traps on a line too heavy to hand pull so I go with one sport Ladner trap and one commercial. If you are new to prawning/crabbing read the info at the site below - although it's not our area and it's crabbing they got great tips. Please do not over scope your traps (too much rope) and weight the rope well.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/48

Round traps are the only way to go and the larger the better. Also pick a trap with heavy webbing. Pacific Net & Twine outlets sometimes sell used commercial traps and rope at good prices. I like used rope because it's easy to coil. I find two commercial traps on a line too heavy to hand pull so I go with one sport Ladner trap and one commercial. If you are new to prawning/crabbing read the info at the site below - although it's not our area and it's crabbing they got great tips. Please do not over scope your traps (too much rope) and weight the rope well.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/48

Back