Best Fish net to buy ?

For netting keepers I prefer the old-fashioned knotted net, reason being the newer knotless rubber mesh nets have so much drag going through the water. A 6' handle is a bonus too.

The Gibbs Delta catch and release net with the plain (not red) aluminum is my favourite. 6' handle which you can't over extend shoot the net into the water (don't ask...), knotless rubberized mesh is easy on the fish and is re-enforced around the frame, wide mouth (40+ lb springs go in easy!) and a deep - but not too deep - net bag.

Yea I'll second the Gibbs delta net with 6' handle. I replaced my Scotty with the Gibbs. It's 1.5lbs lighter and makes it a lot easier for solo net jobs.

Yea I'll second the Gibbs delta net with 6' handle. I replaced my Scotty with the Gibbs. It's 1.5lbs lighter and makes it a lot easier for solo net jobs.
Another vote for the release net above. I release most fish without ever touching them while still in the water, but occasionally that can't be done and this net will do minimal damage if the fish needs to go on deck to remove the hooks.

...Rob

Looking for a net not only of quality but also easy on the fish
Cheers

It's pricey, but I think it's a great net. For smaller boats, with a shallow draft, I really like the extension handle of 48-96".

The basket is plenty deep, I found it has less drag than would be expected, it has more and larger openings and less mesh over all compared to most. Lastly, I found the amount of scaling that happened was minimal at best.

Can pick it up at Cabela's, but get it when they have their Hometown Heroes event on, it'll save you about $30ish.

http://www.frabill.com/nets-accesso...ries-landing-net-with-telescoping-handle.html

this year where using our big net 8' handle knots etc. but i bought a smaller net knotless with short handle smaller opening to handle all the coho and shorts. its alot smaller and easier to move around the boat than the large salmon bucket. so my boat ues two nets

I use the 6' scotty net and it is definitely on the heavy side. I'm fishing solo at least 90% of the time and it is awkward to handle. It's great if you got someone to net for you and having those extra couple feet on the handle help big time. When this one goes kicks or once I've had enough of it, I'm gonna go with the Gibbs one. Not sure if they make nets that float but that's something to consider. Or just put a float on it.

.... Not sure if they make nets that float but that's something to consider. Or just put a float on it.

Many of them will float, at least for a brief period. I found it's a good idea to try it in a controlled setting, not after it's too late!

One other thing you can do that's not as bulky as a float is to spray a low expansion foam into the length of the handle. Alternately, if you spray a small amount into each end, it will create an air chamber.

My Murican Uncle bought me one of these as a thanks for some fishing a few years ago.
I was worried the hoop was gonna be too small or the mechanism would die in salt but it's worked fine, good rinse with everything else at the end of the day and it's still smooth. You can get other attachments like hooks for grabbing prawn lines or whatever, I appreciate the size in my 19 footer. I'd buy another if I lost it.

The Gibbs Delta catch and release net with the plain (not red) aluminum is my favourite. 6' handle which you can't over extend shoot the net into the water (don't ask...), knotless rubberized mesh is easy on the fish and is re-enforced around the frame, wide mouth (40+ lb springs go in easy!) and a deep - but not too deep - net bag.
Exactly the one i went with...Harbour Chandler has them for $89....great net to release fish.....

Once it's in the bag retract it and lift with the handle vertical. No biggie, trying to strong arm one over the gunwale at full extension and horizontal wouldn't make sense.
yeah I know how to bring a fish in the boat with a net lol but thanks for the clarification on how you do it;)

Back