Best Fish Ever

81" Surgeon, caught just below Chiliwack MT on the Fraser.
IMG_9391.jpg

I can think of many but one day stands out the most in my mind I was had just turned 12yrs old and my uncle who lived in gold river and worked at the mill many many yrs ago.
I still remeber the boat place had about maybe 15 boats on the dock that was it before it became really popular back then.

I went to hang out with my uncle during the middle of Aug. as thats when he told my parents to send me up. We spent every day fishing as this turned out to be his last ever fishing those waters we woke up early like every other morning and we always had a routine of puting the tacke box and fishing rods into his truck but that morning he wasnt doing very good and throwing up alot so I qietly took the rods and gear and put it back in the corner, he comes out and say "whats going on" I say uncle your sick we can go again tommorow!!
NO way bud we are going that same day I asked him to put that green and silver flashy thing down (krippled K) lol we are just off of somewhere out there (remeber i was 12 ) all of a sudden boom this rod goes nut he plays it for a bit and then he says ok kid you do the rest remeber tip up and keep cranking and let it go if it wants too (funny how I say the same thing now)

What seemed like forever and one tired me he nets this thing ohhh but wait great the nets tangled in the OMC leg so here I sit on the seat as hes over the back of the boat with one fast swoop of his hands he throws this thing over his shoulder and it falls with and loud WHAP right on my lap (remeber im 12) I FREAK as I thought this thing was going to eat me as fast as it was on me it was off a beauty 42 lb spring!!!!!!!!!!!!

We fished a few more days but he still wasnt doing great I even had to bring the boat home a few times cause he was soo sick he couldnt do it. You see he had lymphnode cancer and this was the effects at the time I didnt know how or what...

He died that fall in victoria and I was able to see him a day before he went and we talked about our fishing trip and the many other outdoor adventures we had, he was by far the best uncle a kid could ever had he took me hunting and fishing alot he was simply the "BEST"

I think of him often but I know hes watching down on me and im sure hes proud of what I have done he definatlly made an impact on my life.

Thanks this brought back a good memory

Wolf

My best salt water fish. Have yet to see a herring teaser that this one would fit in.

tarpon.jpg

My best freshwater fish I never got a photo of, so I'll post a photo of this big brown trout!

boatshow.jpg

Great photos Porcupine, but I don't know if I'd want to see the fish that you would catch using that as bait!

Although my boat has seen many fish over the years, the best one is the first salmon my youngest son caught when he was 9 years old. He travelled to the Queen Charlotte Islands with me while I was on business for a few days. He wanted to go fishing but the weather reports were showing 10 metre seas. I told him that we could go out if the seas were maximum 2 metres (as I was on marine rescue business, it wouldn't look good to take him out in very rough seas -:). On the day before we were leaving the seas calmed down and we were able to travel Skidegate Channel from Queen Charlotte City to the west coast for a morning fish. And what a morning it was! The first strike on the line was my son's turn which turned out to be a 43 pound spring. The expression on his face in the picture below tells the whole story. He reeled it in. I just stood behind him braking the reel when he got tired as the fish screamed out line. I told him that it will all be downhill for him from then on as it took me over 40 years of fishing to get my first salmon over 40 pounds and he gets his on his first try! He recently turned 17 and continues to be my fishing buddy, travelling and fishing with me in Florida, Mexico and Nootka for a few days every summer.

DsFirstSalmon.jpg

Hud52-- GREAT shot. Both of you will remember that fish forever!!

My latest trophies 95 and 140lbs this October
IMGP2024.jpg

I wish a had a pic of my unmentionable westcoast flow sea liced steelhead I got around 10 years ago.
I have pulled a few gooders out of said flow but one day the float went down in one of my spots. With a tree wrap and and half hour later my buddy two handed the wrist of my biggest steel to date. With no cam nor tape I started cutting up leader line to measure later. Should have kept the bacon strip undies from the first time the thing jumped. Big buck that was built more like a spring than the typical steel body.

43"x23"
Least I have some pics(video) in my head and they will come to the grave.... probably not forgetting a second of it. And at least I had one witness
10.gif

I caught and released this lunker 62cm cutthroat in Cowichan Lake on Nov 13 this year. It is my personal biggest. I caught it on a 4" #712 tomic plug, no weight or downwriggers.
005-1.jpg

Freshwater fish is best. The taste of freshwater fish is amazing. Freshwater fish is best to eat.

Back