Best depth for 🦀

What is your favourite crabbing depth

• Total voters
If I’m in a Bay I put my trap in the middle to attract them from both sides. Once I find the middle I head out looking for that first drop off. I usually find it 60-80 ft. I’m always trying to crab on an incoming tide. If it’s an outgoing tide I’ll be going deeper say 100ft as my rope is only 125ft. I try to never puta trap near fishing tachs. For bait I’ll use a variety of chicken, salmon bits, pork bones, salmon eggs.

Best bait I found is a string of Tuna heads oil just rings off them as soon as trap touches the water and a close second place is 2 or 3 fresh cod carcasses. Found sporty traps do well in 2-4 hour soaks trick is making sure there’s enough bait for full soak length. Once baits gone next for them is trying to get out and they are Houdini’s of escape in those traps once baits gone.

If I’m in a Bay I put my trap in the middle to attract them from both sides. Once I find the middle I head out looking for that first drop off. I usually find it 60-80 ft. I’m always trying to crab on an incoming tide. If it’s an outgoing tide I’ll be going deeper say 100ft as my rope is only 125ft. I try to never puta trap near fishing tachs. For bait I’ll use a variety of chicken, salmon bits, pork bones, salmon eggs.
How do the salmon eggs do? I found an old pack of freezer burned eggs . Don’t think the salmon or sturgeon will bite these ones but never know. Maybe can entice some crabs

How do the salmon eggs do? I found an old pack of freezer burned eggs . Don’t think the salmon or sturgeon will bite these ones but never know. Maybe can entice some crabs
Going by how other critters react to eggs, I doubt they'd make it to the bottom.

I love threads like this. You need 20’-300’ of line and drop wherever and no question is answered
Crabbing is much like salmon fishing.
Different bait and depths based on where and when you fish. that being said, there has been some good info on this thread.
Most crab fishing in the area's I fish them is 30 to 60'

Did well on the weekend in a new location that I had been wanting to drop some pots at for a while. My go to bait has usually been whatever I could raid out of the fridge and some ghetto type dollar store cat food. This time I Tried Chicken Backs in 3 pots with a bit of salmon and turkey necks in two pots with salmon parts.

All produced amazing. In 8hr soak through a flood tide @ 50’ they all produced an average of 7 crabs each. Mostly keepers. Almost a split of Dungeness and Rock. Safe to say that bait combo works perfectly. Felt pretty good to have enough crab for Saturday night dinner and then be throwing 4 pots worth back. CEDE70C4-E51E-42FE-81E1-5BEA94535BFF.jpegA430444F-E37D-48A1-9A6D-E6DADB001E6F.jpeg759DF776-C7EF-4F9F-8065-8512C194C88F.jpeg

Did well on the weekend in a new location that I had been wanting to drop some pots at for a while. My go to bait has usually been whatever I could raid out of the fridge and some ghetto type dollar store cat food. This time I Tried Chicken Backs in 3 pots with a bit of salmon and turkey necks in two pots with salmon parts.

All produced amazing. In 8hr soak through a flood tide @ 50’ they all produced an average of 7 crabs each. Mostly keepers. Almost a split of Dungeness and Rock. Safe to say that bait combo works perfectly. Felt pretty good to have enough crab for Saturday night dinner and then be throwing 4 pots worth back. View attachment 87016View attachment 87018View attachment 87017
I had a similar experience when I switched to chicken after some reading and questions here on the forum. First trap pulled had 10 in it after previous experiences in same area had yielded little to nothing, maybe the occasional starfish.

I was using chicken backs years ago mainly because they were part of the throw away from a full carcass, and my results were like all of you. A world of difference.

Back