Bella coola to shearwater trip. Could use some help

I'm looking at doing a trip out of Bella coola to shearwater. Looking at around 3rd week in July. Just wondering if this is in prime time for the big chinooks or a little early. Also if anyone has info on accomidations that would be great. I see there is a few different cabins and bed and breakfasts available. Last but not least how would u rate the fishing? Our group is in a toss up between west side of the charlottes or shearwater. Did charlottes last year. Price is about the same since we outfitter tent on the charlottes so ferry instead of cabins is a wash.

Did Shearwater resort last August. So, ferry out of Bella Coola with boat and buddy came to $1250 round trip. Ouch. Fishing was great, but it was a month later than your time. We slayed the coho, all good sized at 12-17lbs. Also bagged a 43 lb spring. We fished out of my 16 ft aluminium lund type with 25 hp. It's a 45 min run to many of the really great spots on the outside using the resort boats (didn't take my tinnie to the outside, would have been dicey and also at least an hour run time) or longer when heading down to cultus sound. We fished the east side of Denny island taking Gunboat Passage to get there. Lot's of fun.
Haven't done QCI yet, maybe this August.

I have fished the Shearwater area the same way. We loved it and will share any information I can to help. First, leave Bella Coola early morning and the trip to Denny Island will likely be a non-event. We rented the La La Land cabin. Great people great cabin good dock but not "water front". Whisky Cove bed and breakfast also great folks good water front accommodation. Drifters Cove cabin rental I had reserved for this year but canceled do to a health issue I had to deal with. Great fellow to do business with and I have seen there cabin on previous trip from the outside. Will be re-booking. We used Shearwater Marine for fuel and fish processing. That worked great, dropped fish off at days end and they processed, froze, and stored until we left. Shearwater also has great hotel,restaurant, and cabins. We just preferred private situation. As far as fishing "hot spots" it was good all over inside and out. Prawns and crab all up Troup passage for us. Halibut are definitely to be had but we did not dial in on them. Thats my take on the Shearwater area. QCI I can't help.

Enroute there right now(to see herring spawn)! And chance of salmon being around too right now?

I was talking to some locals up there in December they said there are a few resident fish to be had all winter long on the inside, Idol Pt, Spiller channel, etc. couldn't hurt to try that's for sure.

Can vouch for shearwater being a nice place to spend a few nights, quality docks, pub, hotel, fuel etc. you will probably have better fishing on the west side of the charlottes in terms of numbers at least but the weather could spoil your fun, that being said, 3rd week of july should be right around the time those big rivers inlet springs start to trickle through milbanke. Cheney Pt is the hot spot, I always liked Cape Mark had some good days there, and if youre feeling adventurous run across the sound to McInnes Island, my personal favorite spot in milbanke. Shearwater would get my vote since its so much more simple to get to and from, and has good accomidations, not to mention there will be the odd monster spring swimming around.

was on bc ferry twice to Shearswater.....very nice and beautiful place....ferry had to go through a few narrow long channels in Bella Bella. I have seen a small boat fishing inside. It indicated that there were some fish around inside.

Hi Bard,

I haven't run from Bella Coola to Shearwater, but I have fished 30 miles north of Shearwater 3-5 times per year for the last 3 or 4 years (from mid July to early Sept). The 3rd week of July is early by about a week or two, every year the big fish run through the 1st/2nd week of Aug. If you can, I would postpone your trip by about 10 days.

Good luck.

I'm going aug 24 maybe a bit late but should be some around. Any one fish led there later aug before?

I'm going aug 24 maybe a bit late but should be some around. Any one fish led there later aug before?

Saw a 60+# fish taken Labour Day weekend one year-Spring action was slowing but they weren't all through-it was a marble.

So many Coho it was stupid if that matters.

Ya I caught a 53lbs on aug 20 a few years back. last year on aug 10th would caught some beauty coho to 19lbs.

Back