Beach fishing north of Courtenay

fishhawk8

Back in the day, I recall that there was any area north of Courtenay where guys would cast from shore and do well on various salmon species. From what I understand, there was a good drop off along the shoreline in that region. Checking out Google Maps and if I recall correctly, I think it was in the Bates Beach to Kitty Coleman area. I`ve never fished there myself but I`m in the area for the next week and thought I might like to scope it out and give it a try. Would anyone have precise directions on where that fishing area is?

When I lived in the Comox valley I used to fish off the beach at Little River by the ferry terminal. Had the odd good day catching coho and hooked in to the odd spring there too. Wind and weeds can be a factor but it's worth checking out.

Salmon will be cruising many of the beaches starting now with the pinks and then the coho into September. The occasional chinook is caught too as they congregate near creek mouths.. Any of the beaches from Qualicum up to Campbell River have their moments. I checked out a few beaches near Bowser and near the Oyster River this weekend and didn't see much. The local stores, especially fly shops may share up to date info, otherwise get out there and start looking. Getting out on the beach up there is never a waste of time.

Nile creek fly shop website posts beach fishing reports quite regularly. Ive been working on a jobsite right on the ocean at saratoga beach the last week, and have been seeing the odd pink jumping. No big schools yet though.

Yeah, thanks guys. I'm going back to the days of the Times Colonist King Fisherman Contest days, lol. I'm pretty certain there were articles written in the Colonist back in the 60's and 70's re: guys casting with jigs and buzz bombs from the beaches up there but I can't seem to find anything that would confirm tat idea.

I am very familiar with the pinks and Nile Cr. and the fly shop but was looking further afield this time. Little River does ring a bell and after some research, is it possible to access and fish from the breakwater point at the terminal? Is that where I would even want to be.

How about other locales further north? Anyone know of beach areas that have a steep enough drop off to get to 30-40' or more of water in a cast? At least short of fishing off the pier in Campbell River.

http://canadianvintagefishingtackle.weebly.com/whats-new.html
Scroll half way down and there's the original contest announcement. Certainly some places the old timers will remember. ;)

Hey fishhawk8, I believe Mark is correct in mentioning Little River. We used to refer to it as King Coho Beach. Yes there is a dramatic dropoff right off the beach. It is accessed by driving down towards the ferry terminal and just before you enter the terminal there is a right hand turn. You coninue along that road until you come to Singing Sands road, hang a left and the beach access is at the very end of the road. Good Luck;) eman

Thanks for the assistance guys. So the way I'm understanding this is that mouth of the Little River is north of the ferry and King Coho is south of the ferry. There is a 75 meter restriction around the mouth of the Little River but all else appears to be open. The area that stretches from the mouth of Little River south to Singing Sands is all Little River.

On google earth if you look at the ferry dock south to the next point, it looks like a pair of waves with a stretch of narrow beach between them. I see Singing Sands just south of the ferry is this going to be my target area? Is there also a public access out to the end of the breakwater at the ferry? Am I looking at the correct area here?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.7329369,-124.9213817,992m/data=!3m1!1e3

If so, I can see how both tides could be productive but has the flood or ebb been better historically? Should I coordinate with the arrival/departure of the ferry, lol. They always seem to kick up and injure feed. ;) I assume that the prevalent bait fish at this time of year will be needle fish. Outside of these last few questions, I'm probably good to go.

If not, It appears that there are areas close to Bates Beach and Kitty Coleman that offer similar conditions.

Thanks for your help guys.

Back