BC Ferries ..We are getting the bad end of everything the Island needs.

I bit my tounge for a while now...enough is enough...why is it that it cost 68 $ for my truck...and $189 for my boat...tourism BC needs to take a hard line..they should be sticking up for our guests?.. as well as our tourism minister..( I have an open spot if need be)...the island is getting killed because of ferry rates.....As much as I love the Island....it is just not affordable for the people that want to go and enjoy the west coast...Everyone I know on the coast says ther same thing...logging is slow...we need visitors...west coast in the summer is fishing....we won't go because ferry rates are way to high.
As much as everyone dislikes new people at the favorite spots...it's the new people that generates funds that gives everyone a living.
Be patient islanders..you have no idea how much of an efect you have on people that have never been there before..
My guests that I brought to Brown's Bay can say nothing but ...we had a great time...people were great....BC Ferries are a rip.
So..who do we rant on?

i have to say, i was astonished at the cost of the BC ferries. $94 from horseshoe bay to langsdale for 2 people in a sub compact vehicle. and, they don't care that i am a senior here in the US. so if you visit down this way, same crossing time will cost you about $24 and you can claim your senior discount as well.

Back in '91, I took my F250 Supercab with a 10' camper and my 18' boat from Haines, Alaska to Skagway, Alaska. The trip is approx. 15 miles and it cost me $175 one way. Looking back on that, I personally don't find the current B.C. Ferry rates that far out of line. My last trip from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay was around $84 for my '11 Ram 3500 crewcab long box. Sure, I'd love it if they were lower, but with fuel and labour costs as well as maintenance, etc, I don't complain.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

I bit my tounge for a while now...enough is enough...why is it that it cost 68 $ for my truck...and $189 for my boat...tourism BC needs to take a hard line..they should be sticking up for our guests?.. as well as our tourism minister..( I have an open spot if need be)...the island is getting killed because of ferry rates.....As much as I love the Island....it is just not affordable for the people that want to go and enjoy the west coast...Everyone I know on the coast says ther same thing...logging is slow...we need visitors...west coast in the summer is fishing....we won't go because ferry rates are way to high.
As much as everyone dislikes new people at the favorite spots...it's the new people that generates funds that gives everyone a living.
Be patient islanders..you have no idea how much of an efect you have on people that have never been there before..
My guests that I brought to Brown's Bay can say nothing but ...we had a great time...people were great....BC Ferries are a rip.
So..who do we rant on?

Better boycott then

I hear ya MWS. Was going to be going to Nootka this Saturday, planned it all year, but about four hours ago decided I am going to leave my cash here locally for my next 2 weeks of holidays. Calculated my fare on the boat from Horseshoe to Departure, just shy of $500.00 return. Five Hundred Dollars!!!! Now how can that be justifiable. I understand fuel costs, maintenance, etc... But $500.00. Gimme a break. And nothing against you FishTofino, and i hope you were joking, but that's pretty sad too say. Been going to Nootka and Winter Harbour the last 19 years, and now don't know if we'll be doing it anymore. Love the Rock, the fishing, and the people, but then there is the breaking point. I feel bad as the Family looks forward to it all year, and the 3 kids of mine all love too fish, but i have pretty much had it. Maybe we should give a bigger retention bonus for the new CEO, cause Hahn didn't make enough. And I thought I would stop typing a few lines ago, enough said!

The ferry rates are outrageous. One way for my truck and 21' boat costs $226 (two ways $452). For that amount of money I am flying to Hawaii and back on a holiday. Before they jacked up the rates I used to take my boat a couple of times each year to the island, but now it is down to one trip. The food on the ferries is also very expensive. Our airline flight costs are another major rip-off.

Up here, my truck and boat cost me $773 one way. (this is what my reservation came to, if I go to the terminal and am over my 50' length guess, they'll charge me more)
So you think BC Ferries is a rip off for the southern islands, we get completely screwed up here in the north.

Better boycott then

?

Anyhow, to the OP, I agree ferries are grossly expensive and its 100% costing smaller communities $$$, Couple that with BS DFO restrictions ( some self inflcited by groups representing us) and its not good. Luckily i live here, and i only see it when i have to get off the island, whcih i never want to do anyway.

P.S. logging isnt slow :)

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's time for a trade

I would love to have a trade off with someone that either skis or hunts..got a condo at big white...have a cabin in 3-12...beats bc ferries

The cost of the ferries has prevented me from taking my boat many times too. Why not drive the boat from Vancouver to Sooke? Most of the way is sheltered by the gulf islands and it's a great trip. That $500 ferry cost goes a long way on boat fuel. Not to mention the cost of fuel in your tow vehicle.

Another option is to leave the boat at home and rent a boat wherever you are staying. In sooke, pedder bay marina rents boats for as cheap as 17.50 per hour. In bamfield Seabeam has some 250/day rental boats. That's a per day rental so you can go out and come in then go out again if you like.

My truck is 20 feet, my boat/trailer is 20 feet. price should be about 140(double) not 175 as I'm not over height. Stored it on the island and saved some money, but had to bring it home to do some unexpected tinkering, so now am unsure I can do my last (5th) planned trip unless Starfish starts to go off like 2010+11, then I won't have any choice but to return. You guys that live there are very fortunate.

they should shange the flag to a pirate flag!!! worst run business (next to bc transit) in b.c.

I'm from Alberta, so I'm not trying to be rude. Just curious as to why you think it's one of the worst run businesses. I have no issues with the fares, but, then again, I don't deal with the fares on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

Back