BC Assessments are Out Now

I always figure take your municipal accessment and add $100K for actual selling value.
For quite a few years, maybe the decade, before Covid madness, it was pretty easy to convert on the island to Assessment plus 20%.
The Covid madness blew everything predictable out of the water and it is not so easy to do such a blanket estimate anymore.

For quite a few years, maybe the decade, before Covid madness, it was pretty easy to convert on the island to Assessment plus 20%.
The Covid madness blew everything predictable out of the water and it is not so easy to do such a blanket estimate anymore.
They had mentioned a few years ago that they were trying to play catch-up with reality. That's where some of the big gains came from around 2020. I think.

I know someone in CR who sold for under assessment last month. Super nice, reno’d detached SFH. Sat on the market for a few weeks too. In Prince George, stuff was selling for ~30% over assessment up to 2021. I believe there was a huge bump from 2021-2022 which accounted for this. The property my partner owns in PG went up 4.4% this year, but it’s also a huge property with a few buildings on it. We have also sunk tens of thousands into it in the last couple years too, doing 90% of the work ourselves.

Inflated property prices drive up the cost of everything imho, so I am glad they are stabilizing.

Doesn't really matter if you property values went up or down when it comes to taxation - its all about the mill rate they apply. We were initially advised our taxes in Nanoose were going up by around 15%, but just found out its 17%. I guess for these politicians money really does grow on trees.

The mill rate is the amount of tax payable per dollar of the assessed value of a property. The mill rate is based on "mills." It is a figure that represents the amount per $1,000 of the assessed value of the property, which is used to calculate the amount of property tax.

Back