BBQ Table for Boat - Ideas...

Baxter

I just ordered a Weber Q-1200 for our camper, and figured it is small enough that I can bring it out on the boat also. But it is not a marine BBQ, so does not have easy mounts for rod holders etc. Considering it won't live on the boat, and boat is not moored, I don't really see issue with it not being a marine BBQ - Unless I am wrong. Will give a wash down after boat use of course.

I have scotty locking mounts along the back on the front part of the transom, in front of the engine (not sure what this part of the boat is technically called). Figured I would get some mounts for these, attach them to a table base with a lip around it where the legs of the bbq would bump into. Would only have the BBQ on the table when in use etc, not when running, so no worries of it falling overboard. Would probably just use painted plywood as I have some 3/4 scrap I can use. Easy and cheap to replace every year or two if needed.

Figured I can even drill a couple small holes in the legs of the BBQ to attach some strapping, or a bolt & wire, or something, to secure it down. Can figure something out there.

Thoughts? What have you done?

Last edited:
I just ordered a Weber Q-1200 for our camper, and figured it is small enough that I can bring it out on the boat also. But it is not a marine BBQ, so does not have easy mounts for rod holders etc.

First, how bad of an idea is this? Is it okay to bring a small propane tank on a boat? (5lber probably).

Next, assuming that is fine, this is my thought for mounting.

I have scotty locking mounts along the back on the front part of the transom, in front of the engine (not sure what this part of the boat is technically called). Figured I would get some mounts for these, attach them to a table base with a lip around it where the legs of the bbq would bump into. Would only have the BBQ on the table when in use etc, not when running, so no worries of it falling overboard. Would probably just use painted plywood as I have some 3/4 scrap I can use. Easy and cheap to replace every year or two if needed.

Figured I can even drill a couple small holes in the legs of the BBQ to attach some strapping, or a bolt & wire, or something, to secure it down. Can figure something out there.

Thoughts? What have you done?
from a regulation standpoint there is no issue with the bbq, the propane tank need to be in the open or in an compartment vented to the exterior, it cannot be stored in a way that would allow it to vent into the cabin or be in a sealed compartment,

you're on the right track, Ive done this for someone before with one of those portable webbers and its pretty simple to do yourself, fabricate a simple stainless/starboard bait cutting station that doubles as a bbq platform. the way to do it is place the bbq on a piece of cardboard and trace out the pattern of the legs, and cut a piece of starboard or umhw that fits under the BBQ then make a stainless tray that is to the exterior dimensions of the BBQ. don’t use anything that is easily flammable like plywood, last thing you want is a flaming fat dripping lighting up your table.

you can do this with about 80$ worth of stainless scrap and the cost of the plastic.

then just put it on a scotty downrigger rod holder mount or something similar.

from a regulation standpoint there is no issue with the bbq, the propane tank need to be in the open or in an compartment vented to the exterior, it cannot be stored in a way that would allow it to vent into the cabin or be in a sealed compartment,

you're on the right track, Ive done this for someone before with one of those portable webbers and its pretty simple to do yourself, fabricate a simple stainless/starboard bait cutting station that doubles as a bbq platform. the way to do it is place the bbq on a piece of cardboard and trace out the pattern of the legs, and cut a piece of starboard or umhw that fits under the BBQ then make a stainless tray that is to the exterior dimensions of the BBQ. don’t use anything that is easily flammable like plywood, last thing you want is a flaming fat dripping lighting up your table.

you can do this with about 80$ worth of stainless scrap and the cost of the plastic.

then just put it on a scotty downrigger rod holder mount or something similar.
Ahh, good call about flamable plywood being bad. My brain was broken I think. lol

The propane it takes is just the little green cans screwed into the BBQ, so should be fine. (I will get an adapter to hook it direct to my trailer for camping)

Last edited:
Ahh, good call about flamable plywood being bad. My brain was broken I think. lol

The propane it takes is just the little green cans screwed into the BBQ, so should be fine. (I will get an adapter to hook it direct to my trailer for camping)
even those little ones need to folow the same regs, they are actually the worst, because people forget about them, they get stashed in areas and forgotten, then get rusty, then get use and start leaking because rust gets in the valve, start leaving rust stains eveywhere, all sorts of issues. So in terms of good practice, bring one with you when you go out, take it home when you leave.

I played around with something like this last year. I wanted to have a little table so I could set up my Coleman. My 185 doesn’t have a rail around the motor due to the sloped back for my canvas, so I couldn’t do any rail mount options. Took some measurements and just cut & painted some plywood. Maybe 1/2. It’s easy to put up/down and stows in the cuddy. I do have some L shaped brackets To put on to help old it in place as it is just resting on the lip of the motor well at the moment.

CDD78F0C-D57C-4713-B8C0-DE61918BF437.jpeg
209E5D7A-4B52-4DF0-8E8E-2E62ACA4A1F2.jpeg
even those little ones need to folow the same regs, they are actually the worst, because people forget about them, they get stashed in areas and forgotten, then get rusty, then get use and start leaking because rust gets in the valve, start leaving rust stains eveywhere, all sorts of issues. So in terms of good practice, bring one with you when you go out, take it home when you leave.

This is what I ended up building. Dry fit. Have to disassemble and paint the wood. Probably black. Thinking of using linex truck bed liner type paint. Unsure at this point.

Attachments

• 4E4FF762-305B-44EF-B97B-ACE7B4418C0B.jpeg
    4E4FF762-305B-44EF-B97B-ACE7B4418C0B.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 925FF2EE-FEEA-4996-AD1B-05068B969900.jpeg
    925FF2EE-FEEA-4996-AD1B-05068B969900.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 54
This is what I ended up building. Dry fit. Have to disassemble and paint the wood. Probably black. Thinking of using linex truck bed liner type paint. Unsure at this point.
Looks sharp.
Maybe consider a paint for wet areas. Like a rubber paint or similar maybe a water tight paint.

Looks sharp.
Maybe consider a paint for wet areas. Like a rubber paint or similar maybe a water tight paint.
Definitely going to paint it. May put verathane over the paint as well. Will paint the whole thing, all sides, then put the stainless back on.

Back