Bamfield tuna shootout!!! September 22 - october 1

This sure sounds like a trip of all trips! really jealous! just how far out do you generally go? good luck fellas can't wait to hear how you guys did! fakin awesome!

Just emailed DAK on his sat phone (free service). He says they have 11 on board.

Right on guy's!!!

Just got another email from DAK. All the boats are hitting good numbers in the double digits. Awesome stuff!!!!

Well i bailed on all commitments only to find out I'm SOL for getting out to Bamfield. Bobber Jon can't make it now and the rents need the truck to move. If anyone is heading up tomorrow afternoon/night, ill happily pay gas and supply ya with BC Tough shirts. Also if anyone is fishing out of Ukee or Tofino and needs a deckhand (Pay gas etc) this weekend let me know as i have a car (not capable of the Bamfield 500). Itching to get back out there!

Thats what we want to hear John...great news!!! Keep us updated, any idea if the window still looks promising for late next week? I know it is a long way off but that is my only go....

Hey Kelly, looks like I will be heading to Bam next wednesday, I know that aint the weekend but if it works, you got a ride with me for sure....

Guy

Well i bailed on all commitments only to find out I'm SOL for getting out to Bamfield. Bobber Jon can't make it now and the rents need the truck to move. If anyone is heading up tomorrow afternoon/night, ill happily pay gas and supply ya with BC Tough shirts. Also if anyone is fishing out of Ukee or Tofino and needs a deckhand (Pay gas etc) this weekend let me know as i have a car (not capable of the Bamfield 500). Itching to get back out there!

Kelly, you can come with me. I'm leaving at 12-1 pm from nanaimo. Likely come on my boat as well

Matt

I'm hoping to to be out by the afternoon bite tomorrow. Awesome reports guy's. FB is back at Mills due to having to unload (real bad problem to have);).

Quite a few boats seem to have room on them for the weekend. Especially Saturday. I think the idea of this shootout is to get as many folks involved as possible so just sayin':). If you show up Friday night there is a good possibility of getting in on this action for Saturday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a start to the shootout. I feel like I took a few bullets. My deckhand was a machine. Had cement crew lined up for thursday so poured sidewalk till 2 pm. loaded boat and headed to mills to pick up last guy left everyone else had gone early morning. There was Jerry (owner of mills) with salt ice. Loaded up ice and Jerry and headed out the 2 of us old guys. Kind of got used to a couple young guys to do the heavy lifting. Jerry had talked with DAK and headed for them. Got out there on calm seas 30 mph. Put gear in at 5:15 by 6 pm Jerry had hauled in 11 by himself. I kept whipping him like a rented mule and by 8 had 21 in box. He never lost 1 that he grabbed rod on pulled them all up the slide. Had set auto pilot on 2000 ft circle and just kept pulling in and letting lines back out. Went over with DAK, Big tuna, crabby and rafted. had a quick bagel and egg on microwave and went to work. Loined fish till 1 am. set radar at 1/2 mile. We layed down and up at 630. Moving slow. Were right over barclay canyon in 60 degree water. Was going to deploy swim baits but did not haved rigged up so went back to troll. Nothing happened went on tour down to Nitnat seen dolphin show had to have been a thousand. Headed back to where DAK and Jody were. Got 3 and headed home with 24. Water glass Jerry drove in for 1 hr. Packaged fish at Mills and went home. Jerry the machine was still helping DAK when I left. The guy never stops. Give me a few days and good for another run. Water don't look good till wed or thurs thou. Terry I got your message sorry you had to cancel. Will be more trips yet. The Tuna should just be starting up here now. Good luck to all the guys out there yet.

Also heard big tuna (whynot) which also only had him and slivo got 30 plus tuna but blew a motor 14 miles out. Hope it is not to bad big tuna. may have to start selling tuna to pay for extra costs. I think the way it works is your deckhand slivo is on the hook for half.

A4A48FFB-6E87-43E9-836D-207CEC4EBAA3-328-00000011AF8495D4_zps53c9c818.jpg

This is sculpin thirty min ago. At five mile now as the sun sets. Scratchy fishing today but we all got fish and it was a great time. More to come

Ha Ha Don. Had blast again, kind of a ****** end and glad to have a extra motor to at least do 10-15 mph. wow what a shoot out it was so awsome having 4 boats out and rafting out at 55 mile amazing. got some nice pics and videos to put up. hey Osama put that pic up where were all together on Chris boat..... we had 4 quads and only one time brought them all in the other times only 2 made it in the boat... Dak thanks for the heads up. we were in a desert for a bit we made 33 fish and the biggest was 30 lbs More to come still a bit baged.

Crappy that happened dude.

Thanks for the update, will put it on the board, will get a picture of the board and put it up here tomorrow.

Thanks be to Trophy Hunter for the special delivery out there!!!

Awesome pic of Sculpin Kelly.

Look forward to more pics trickling on to these two threads...........

]Good time out there for sure.

Checked the weather wednesday morning,and it looked to good to pass up,so packed up the tools at noon,fueled the boat with gas,grub and beer and headed out!
Got to Bamfield a little before dark to meet up with Jeff and Arron,loaded ice and six more flats of beer,ready for action!

Fishing was the best I have seen,35 the first day and 2 the next morning made for plugged fish holds!!
Great bunch of guys out there to fish beside.Jerry at Mills landing has got the best salt ice on the coast,and maybe the best blast freezer around!
Arron with his first ever tuna

www.crabbyscharters.com

Attachments

• P9200694.jpg
    P9200694.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 129
  • P9200696.jpg
    P9200696.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P9200698.jpg
    P9200698.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 118
  • P9200699.jpg
    P9200699.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 124
  • P9200704.jpg
    P9200704.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 114
Just got back home after a great weekend in Bamfield. I will write up a report with some pics later this evening.

Back