Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
this rule has been in place for years now ,
no change on the Sound , Aug 1 st to Oct 15 - 2 fish per day , NOT greater than 77cm
the change for this year is , the canal will be CLOSED to retention of Chinook from Aug 1 till Oct 31 , poor returns !!
Labor Day Weekend Port derby ?? its now a Coho Derby....

as a wise man said recently !!! !

"God Bless America ",,,,Happy Birthday Bod ( Ken Rocky Point Charters )

fd

Last year it was one over 77cm, one under. People seem to be be dissapointed this year to throw back the big ones. Its a sport, reel the big ones in, take and picture, and throw them back. More great fishing in the years to come.

thx Turd lol..

i stand corrected , i read some old archived dfo stuff a lill to quikly perhaps ,

looked at an " OLD 2011 " dfo chinook notice , got my blues mixed up , there was an area by Uki that had a no fish over 77 cm in place ,

sorry bowt that lol , anyways , yes 2013 is ' NO FISH OVER 77 cm from Aug 1 in the sound this year ,

most of us are offshore that time of year , hopefully the sound fills with Coho in August like the good all days...

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from Bamfield. Things have slowed a bit inside. Tried Pill at 11am fri few nets -on a tip from a bud we got a good depth of 74 ft and a dble glow-size didn't impress so we headed for Swale-must have been a good early bite cause tons of boats still in the UKIE channel-we tapped a few but seemed slow and the fish were smaller than 2 weeks ago. Moved on to Kirby, Brady and Bam harbour mouth we were hitting some but quite small. Called it a night in Grappler inlet and had a chat with TYKET Y Blue-South Bank was hot didn't want to go that far. 5 mile after Kirby was the morning plan. Kirby was pretty dead next morning -saw Bod there-only saw 1 net-we just released fish-not many hits and small. 27 knots to 5 mile-within 5 m anchovie at 180 ft of wire and 180 ft deep got an 18. Pretty steady-not hot-some small hatch cohos fished basically just off the bottom-picked up a couple of small Hali's, Using anchovy and LED,s, coyote's Great day. There were a fair number of small fish but if you hung in there were 15-18 lbs-mostly red and the odd white-most clipped. Anchovy was really the main choice-big spoons did not cut it this week. Tight Lines

Went out this morning to Pill Point- saw about 5 boats there -- no fish caught for the first few hours, then over to Diplock for a bit and still no fish....although did find some new rock structures that added to the "excitement." We headed over to Swale, saw about 3 boats and one guy yells out, "Try bait @ 110 feet as we have 3 springs today & had 6 yesterday!" (always thankful for the tips). Put on the bait & bang, a quick hit, but missed it. Then a fish on bait & it gets tangled in the kelp. Finally bang a nice spring and a newby takes the rod....unfortunately after a nice battle, the fish is half in the net & he reefs the fish skyward (instead of gently letting it go into the net)...bye fish?!
Swale was hot for a couple hours (about from 10-12).
A surprising highlight was seeing this crazy big yacht - 3 floors & with a helicopter on the back.

Heading out to Bamfield this weekend for 3 days of fishing. We'd like to try 5/7 mile if the weather allows. What are the coordinates for 5/7 mile?
Thanks
Stosh

PWP - nice report, sounds fun!

was the fish being netted head-first? curious as to the scenario of it getting away when half in the bag?

stosh,, the bank starts at three miles right in front of beale and continues all the way out to the big bank.... measure with your gps off of beale and fish the edge of the bank at anywhere between 5-7 miles... we got our limits on springs and cohos on sunday.

report,,,, started the travel with first ferry thursday morning and watched tiketty blue get the shaft from bc ferries,,, they coulda fit him on no problem..dint fish thursday, relaxed and got ready for an action packed weekend!!! fri morning started at kirby and even before the second rod was down ,, wammo,, lemon lime hooch at 80'... got both rods down again and nailed another within 1/2 hour.. ticketty terry cruised by and gave him the depth and he picked up another two and then he headed off to south bank,, we went and put the anchor down as i wanted to save some spring action for the sat/sun.... three halls in four hours on the pic and time to head in...fresh bellies out fished herring 2:1.
sat morning up early and a beauty cruise to south bank, water was like oil,, slight swell, slight breeze and sunshine... stayed away from the pack as it seemed slow in there so went west another 3 miles and picked up 6 springs in two hours. All between 15-20 lbs... brown turd and white turd at 100'. no cohos hitn the turds so i dont know if any coho are hangin at south bank. cruised to harrisons cove lodge for a visit and some fuel and back to the hali spot for another three.. no monsters, one was 40ish,, nice eaters for sure. all on fresh bellies... Sunday, out to 5-7 mile . tried the turds and got a couple ping pong paddles, one nice spring,,, brought them up and changed to a 4" kitchen sink spoon on one side and a 4" green and chrome spoon on the other,100', non-stop coho for 4 hrs,, pulled our six hatch jobs and called it another great day!!

was good to hear lots of members chatting on the radio,, was good to be out on such nice conditions.. ran water down to the dock on monday(no fishn) and shutter down,,, see in a couple weeks bamtown.. KEEP THE REPORTS COMMIN!!!

Best report ive seen ya post Blair !!
im leavin soon for 5 days ,
word is inside SLOWWWW...Southbank GOOOD , easy limits today,,
gonna have a looky inside first ,

report in a few,,

fd

stosh,, the bank starts at three miles right in front of beale and continues all the way out to the big bank.... measure with your gps off of beale and fish the edge of the bank at anywhere between 5-7 miles... we got our limits on springs and cohos on sunday.

report,,,, started the travel with first ferry thursday morning and watched tiketty blue get the shaft from bc ferries,,, they coulda fit him on no problem..dint fish thursday, relaxed and got ready for an action packed weekend!!! fri morning started at kirby and even before the second rod was down ,, wammo,, lemon lime hooch at 80'... got both rods down again and nailed another within 1/2 hour.. ticketty terry cruised by and gave him the depth and he picked up another two and then he headed off to south bank,, we went and put the anchor down as i wanted to save some spring action for the sat/sun.... three halls in four hours on the pic and time to head in...fresh bellies out fished herring 2:1.
sat morning up early and a beauty cruise to south bank, water was like oil,, slight swell, slight breeze and sunshine... stayed away from the pack as it seemed slow in there so went west another 3 miles and picked up 6 springs in two hours. All between 15-20 lbs... brown turd and white turd at 100'. no cohos hitn the turds so i dont know if any coho are hangin at south bank. cruised to harrisons cove lodge for a visit and some fuel and back to the hali spot for another three.. no monsters, one was 40ish,, nice eaters for sure. all on fresh bellies... Sunday, out to 5-7 mile . tried the turds and got a couple ping pong paddles, one nice spring,,, brought them up and changed to a 4" kitchen sink spoon on one side and a 4" green and chrome spoon on the other,100', non-stop coho for 4 hrs,, pulled our six hatch jobs and called it another great day!!

was good to hear lots of members chatting on the radio,, was good to be out on such nice conditions.. ran water down to the dock on monday(no fishn) and shutter down,,, see in a couple weeks bamtown.. KEEP THE REPORTS COMMIN!!!

PWP - nice report, sounds fun!

was the fish being netted head-first? curious as to the scenario of it getting away when half in the bag?

Nope netted it from behind (now thinking - maybe I should be going head first?)
But the boat was still moving & he didnt let the fish go back into the net as he pulled it right out of the net. So should I Change my netting technique?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got back from our trip to Poett Nook yesterday. We had some friends up there with us so we had 6 people on the boat. It was cozy but lots of fun. 2 days of amazing weather let us go anywhere we wanted.

Saturday we headed out to 5 Mile and set the anchor. Started out with an Octopus that we released, and then it was on! 6 Hali to the boat and into the cooler in 45 minutes. Biggest was 25 lbs. Then back to the Nook for some sunshine and beers. Went out to Pill Point after dinner and picked up 2 springs, seemed a lot slower there than the reports we were hearing from the previous days.

Same thing on Sunday and back out to 5 Mile. In the first few hours we got 2 Hali and 4 Dogfish, then after the tide change it picked up and we got another 4 Hali. We moved in closer to shore and picked up a nice Yellow Eye and a 20 lb Lingcod.

Monday morning we went to Diplock and picked up one spring.

We got some good video with the GoPro and I'll post some clips once I get it cleaned up.

Just back in from 3 days in Bamfield. Fished, Kirby and South Bank. Great weather lots of fish. Caught plenty of Chinooks up to 20 pounds at both locations. Mainly fishing 4" Kitchen Sinks and Irish Creams, behind a Golden Betsy at 100 to 130 ft. Released all fish except for those that were bleeding until we had our limit. Also got 2 Coho on the surface while letting gear out, both were hatchery. Didn't fish halibut, but did pick up a 20 pounder about forty feet off bottom.

Did get the crappolla scarred out of us by a huge Gray Whale on Monday at South Bank. The damn thing breached about 5 times directly in front of us. We were about 60 to 80 feet apart on a collision course and no guess as to where we should go. The Whale turned to avoid us and breached again about 20 feet off my starboard side. We were eyeball to eyeball for a few seconds. It then put on a real show for us and a couple other boats after that about 100 yards off our stern. Don't ever need to get closer than that to one of those.

ok - learned my lesson (mistake noted :)

For sure, thats what the forum is all about! lived and learned by a couple simple rules on the net - wait until the fish is actually ready to be netted, and always head first - fish cant swim backwards right, but they can swim into your net head first, or they can swim outta your net if you are coming in from the rear!

Trophywife
Thanks for the info. I have fished the rats nose, the wreck, and starfish. Where exactly is southbank in relationship to the other spots i've listed?
Thanks
Stosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back