Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, FD.

I was fishing beside you on the Victoria 215 on Saturday. Similar for me in terms of okay fishing but took lots of work. I tried the sticknstay make it pay routine - more than ever in the past, and boxed a few. One thing that was interesting was when I targeted coho with an Apex, I ended up with springs! Whatever works lol. The Apex was a bigger one, and on a long leader with a flasher.
Everyone at Meares was flying fast - much faster than I am used to going. What is up with that? I always try various speeds myself. Perhaps it was that most boats were bigger and hardly anyone was on their kickers?

We will be back out there this coming weekend.

Smiley.

Hey, FD.

I was fishing beside you on the Victoria 215 on Saturday. Similar for me in terms of okay fishing but took lots of work. I tried the sticknstay make it pay routine - more than ever in the past, and boxed a few. One thing that was interesting was when I targeted coho with an Apex, I ended up with springs! Whatever works lol. The Apex was a bigger one, and on a long leader with a flasher.
Everyone at Meares was flying fast - much faster than I am used to going. What is up with that? I always try various speeds myself. Perhaps it was that most boats were bigger and hardly anyone was on their kickers?

Smiley.

2.8 mph-3.8mph-fish are still aggro feeders-i dont slow down until august 1.8-2.2mph,, in fact i will not use anchovies until august.. and never bring bait offshore....

Hey, FD.

Smiley.

I remember you Smiley ,
nice boat !!, seen quite a few sfbc guys out there ,
ya we were movin pretty good that day ,
think alot of it has ta do with tides and currents , keep those flashers workin properly when your runnin with the tide , we did well that day when we seen you,

see ya soon

fd

I will be der thurs til tues!! Keep the reports flowin!!

2.8 mph-3.8mph-fish are still aggro feeders-i dont slow down until august 1.8-2.2mph,, in fact i will not use anchovies until august.. and never bring bait offshore....

Always subscribed to that theory myself; was shocked when the slow troll was implemented to get the balls deep for hali, and larger springs took the slow troll on big hardware.

Hi heading over to bamfield for 4 weeks of weatcoast fishing. One of my favourite places so any good tips on tackle thats working out there ? Also what channel does everyone use out there?

Channel 6... In shore this time of year i like a lemon lime hooch, green/flasher and a longish leader.. Troll fast .100'

Had to take the Big Rig over to BamBam Monday afternoon to get the kicker serviced at Breakers. Checked the usual spots along the way, kinda looking for The Rabbi. No luck locating the Lad, and although there was a few boats in each spot, I didn't see any rods waving the Happy Dance. Checked the harbor, no Rabbi Rig, and since I had an hour to kill, decided to drop another new prototype lure for a spell to see what might happen...

Wandered out off the wall where a half dozen or so boats were on patrol. Saw a LOT of herring showing on the sounder at 125 feet and down - about 100 yards off the wall and it's hunters. Took but 5 minutes for the first spring, than hit after hit for the next hour. Total landed was five, all between 10 and 18 pounds. All released except one smaller one for the Breaker's Barbee. You'd think that if you saw a fella dragging but one rod, short tacking, and basically constantly into fish you might want to give that area a sweep? Not one of the boats in sight did so. As I was alone, I didn't really mind the lack of congestion, but I did have to wonder...

Seems to be a few around alright. Go get 'Em Folks! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I'm thinking of driving in with truck/camper and boat, any idea on road conditions? With all the rain not sure I want to try it.

Wife won't drive the truck/camper down the road, so running the boat (21ft) down the inlet is not an option.

Thanks for any info,
Barman

Not too sure when you are coming down... I was on it last night from Poetts to Franklin river, it was awful. Millions of pot holes.

Not too sure when you are coming down... I was on it last night from Poetts to Franklin river, it was awful. Millions of pot holes.

"Millions of pot holes" doesn't sound good! Thanks. I'm going to fish the inside off Nanaimo instead, seems like a good year for the inside.

We've got a our annual guys trip booked into the Seabeam for next Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Had a cancellation, so now have 4 empty beds we have to pay for.

If anyone who's not a douche wants to join us, let me know...

We're a group of guys mostly in our late 30's with a couple old grey hairs thrown in. We like our beer and enjoy a good time, but won't having any rowdy parties.
Mix of guys from an orthodontist, a trucker, bunch of engineers, a technologist and a couple dentists.
$25/head PM me if you're interested. For an extra $30 all your food is provided.
Bring some cash, there's a good chance a poker game will break out...

Hey DOF, I will be staying up above you guy's in ione of the Atco's we are there from this Sunday to the Friday...name is Guy
we will stop in for a beer...hope you fill the spots
Maybe a couple of the douches I am with will want to stick around for the weekend...cheers

Was on the road last night as well and it was nasty. Maybe the worst I've seen it in years. The graders were on it early this morning. Today at noon it was mostly good, but rough from Sarita to Bamfield. It can change in a matter of hours, for the better or the worse.

Went fishing on Saturday out in Barkley Sound. We started at Pill and caught an 8 lb spring - which was a ton of fun landing (especially with a packed 16 foot boat). After things died down a bit, the kids in the boat wanted to do some jigging, so we had fun with that. Boats moved on and so did we. We ran over to Swale & saw lots of people catching Coho - but we couldn't find any....back to jigging. We ran into one guide that caught 10 salmon (mostly coho and even a pink - cop car @ 50' he said was the ticket). Even pulled up on a beach in the broken group for a few minutes to let the kids run around!

All around a spectacular and fun day! Gotta love this place!

Hey DOF, I will be staying up above you guy's in ione of the Atco's we are there from this Sunday to the Friday...name is Guy
we will stop in for a beer...hope you fill the spots
Maybe a couple of the douches I am with will want to stick around for the weekend...cheers

See you Thursday, Guy.
Dan

Well, the sockeye aren't playing their part in my plans!!! Not to be foiled, we header west.
Spent the weekend in the sound with my father and son.
It was slow but steady, good mix of coho and springs from Cree to Swale. Not many boats out there.
My son found our hot ticket - tiger prawn hoochie at Gretzky' (feet), when we got near our limit for springs we simply sped up and got into coho, then slowed down to finish the spring limit.
Biggest was only 18# but is sure was fun on the 4" Peetz!
The boy also caught a 12# coho on a diver, what a gong show that was, the boy is sure into older techniques!

3 hours of processing, 1 batch candying now, nice problem to have!

Well, the sockeye aren't playing their part in my plans!!! Not to be foiled, we header west.
Spent the weekend in the sound with my father and son.
It was slow but steady, good mix of coho and springs from Cree to Swale. Not many boats out there.
My son found our hot ticket - tiger prawn hoochie at Gretzky' (feet), when we got near our limit for springs we simply sped up and got into coho, then slowed down to finish the spring limit.
Biggest was only 18# but is sure was fun on the 4" Peetz!
The boy also caught a 12# coho on a diver, what a gong show that was, the boy is sure into older techniques!

3 hours of processing, 1 batch candying now, nice problem to have!

Nice problem indeed Smiley. I found your use of the term "Gretzky" very interesting. The only guys I have heard use that is myself and Dirty Dan who had Black Gold Charters out of Pedder Bay years ago. I don't know what happened to Dan but I haven,t heard anything from or about him in a long long time. The charter boat ceased business many years (20ish?) ago. Does anyone know where Dan went? he seemed to fall off the map so to speak.
h.e.h.

We have nicknames for many depths, some are clean, some aren't ;-)
One of my favourites is Ruutu for coho and sox.
One rule the boy has is NO even numbers. Whatever, it works and keeps him interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back