Bamfield fish processing?

ExFlyGuy

Is there any certified fish processors in bamfield? It would be nice to send my buddies home with frozen meal sized portions.

I just tried to call. No answer and they requested an email on there machine. I sent email and will see what they say.

I just tried to call. No answer and they requested an email on there machine. I sent email and will see what they say.
They do it for sure. And so does the Bamfield Lodge next door. If the Wreckage is open, you can stay for a pretty awesome meal on the patio while you wait.

Is there any certified fish processors in bamfield? It would be nice to send my buddies home with frozen meal sized portions.
when are you going...taking a guide? Job one is catching.

Just heard back from Mills. There is no one in town that is licensed. If you have had it done or are doing it you better hope you don’t get caught!

It always amazes me how many people I see doing it at the places I stay at…

Just heard back from Mills. There is no one in town that is licensed. If you have had it done or are doing it you better hope you don’t get caught!

It always amazes me how many people I see doing it at the places I stay at…
Can't anyone process a fish if it's done by the regs? I thought you only needed to be licensed to portion it smaller and ship it.

Edit: I just re-read the original question. Gotcha.

For the larger springs if you cant get it done in proper serving portions you are better off to just fillet them in two pieces, place a wax paper between the two fillets and just freeze them like that. Then when home separate the fillets and cut them into portions. Depending on how hard they are froze they may require a little thawing or if they have access to a meat band saw that is ideal to cut them fully froze into portions. Then vacum seal them at home, provided they have a vacuum sealer i guess. But a decent cheap one can be had from walmart or CT pretty reasonably.

If you are interested, it's good idea to inquire locally and explore any potential certified processors in the area.

We did our own at MacKay Bay lodge and they were processed/labelled as per the regs. The have a chamber sealer there and may for a price let you use it and possibly even store in their walk in freezer. Prices for bags weren't much at all.

pack it right , leave a piece of tail and collar on yer pieces and number them, the effort made to do it right impresses. ask me how i know. lol

Back