Bamfield Bucktailing

Red Monster

Anyone remember these? I'm going to try a few of these bad boys next week in Bamfield on my third rod. I've had about a dozen of them for too many years to count. Yes, I'll remove the barbs too.

Attachments

• bucktail.jpg
    bucktail.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 93
Anyone remember these? I'm going to try a few of these bad boys next week in Bamfield on my third rod. I've had about a dozen of them for too many years to count. Yes, I'll remove the barbs too.
I've used them lots, but when i use them i only use them nothing else. Speed required to run bucktails properly is faster than i like to run my other stuff.

Try using them on the rigger with a medium sized dodger and about a 30 inch leader/ heavy fluoro. 3.0 mph or faster
Also a rod on the surface skipping thru the chop. If there are coho around get ready! Springs will take also on the rigger lines.

I've used them lots, but when i use them i only use them nothing else. Speed required to run bucktails properly is faster than i like to run my other stuff.

Try using them on the rigger with a medium sized dodger and about a 30 inch leader/ heavy fluoro. 3.0 mph or faster
Also a rod on the surface skipping thru the chop. If there are coho around get ready! Springs will take also on the rigger lines.

I have these two dodgers, many of the A&A's #1 and a few others. Which one?

Attachments

• doger.jpg
    doger.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 42
If you run a clevis with a small blade at the front you can run a bucktail at regular salmon trolling speed.......just run it tight

in the early 70's we used to use them a lot in cowichan bay and brentwood bay. My friends father had a wooden box that was full of bucktails in assorted colours and all with pearl spinners. All genuine polar bear fur. His prized possession.
We used 12 foot fiberglass rods and a small banana weight and fished them in the prop wash out back a couple of hundred feet.
every now and then you would see the bucktail jump out of the water followed by a 10-15 lb coho. when they hit they would do a somersault out of the water and scream away at about 1000 mph. lots of fun back then

in the early 70's we used to use them a lot in cowichan bay and brentwood bay. My friends father had a wooden box that was full of bucktails in assorted colours and all with pearl spinners. All genuine polar bear fur. His prized possession.
We used 12 foot fiberglass rods and a small banana weight and fished them in the prop wash out back a couple of hundred feet.
every now and then you would see the bucktail jump out of the water followed by a 10-15 lb coho. when they hit they would do a somersault out of the water and scream away at about 1000 mph. lots of fun back then
Sometimes I'll run a 4 inch glow tomic plug back in the prop wash like you described just without the weight because they dive down a bit. Those coho can be caught so many ways.

Bottom one is a dodger (side to side action) top one rotates (flasher). Do you know how to tune a bucktail so it runs straight in the water ?

You're right that is a flasher. I just assumed dodger, but it's a metal flasher. Okay, I do have more dodgers that may work? Three sizes of Gibbs Dimple Dodgers (the largest 01 is similar in size to a regular flasher) plus I believe a Luhr Jensen San Jaun Dodger in the first image. Then different sizes of Luhr Jensen dogers.

I have no idea how to tune a bucktale. :oops:

Attachments

• Dodgers.jpg
    Dodgers.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Dodgers More.jpg
    Dodgers More.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You're right that is a flasher. I just assumed dodger, but it's a metal flasher. Okay, I do have more dodgers that may work? Three sizes of Gibbs Dimple Dodgers plus I believe a Luhr Jensen San Jaun Dodger in the first image. Then different sizes of Luhr Jensen dogers.

I have no idea how to tune a bucktale. :oops:
Most of those should work, i like the medium size.

First run the bucktail beside the boat without the dodger and watch it run. If you see it tracking or kind of leaning to one side then it needs to be tuned. You take the main hook and bend it to one or the other side and it acts like a rutter on a boat. You will see a change in how the hook runs. The dodger will make the lure dart forward and back as it goes. Also you can use a planer board on the surface to take it to the side away from the boat, the planer board puts action on the fly when going thru the chop. And like any type of salmon fishing you will have to mess with your leader length, colour, and speed.

Hope this helps,
Shayne

Last edited:
Back