Baja Day Trip

spring fever

I live through the winter in a little town called Los Barriles, about 45 min. north of the Cabo airport in Baja Mexico. Kicked out of bed at 4:15 this morning to catch a 10 passenger taxi to Bahia de los suenos (bay of dreams)-11/4 hrs north of us. Remember thinking it was a beautiful drive under the full moon (****)-dawn was breaking as we arrived-buzzards sitting on top of 30 ft cactus kind of set the scene. We had 10 people so 5 Pangas were rented-my fishing partner was another Mike-it helps when you get older to pick a partner with the same name-avoids confusion and hurt feelings. Our guide was a guy by the nick name of La Lo-used him before and he is a hell of a fisherman. Now this is not your fancy type of Cabo fishing trip-we live here and all I was after was some Dorado. Bit cloudy with a swell running-probably 75 degrees early-went to the bait hole to jig our own bait-my fancy bait jig that I made up last summer was a flop -fortunately LaLo was the El Jefe of bait. As he says No Bait No fish!!
We got about 15 cocineros(about 9 inches long pretty fat-kind of look like a little tuna) He rigged up my tld 20 (80 lb Braid with fluoro top shot) with a fish and we started moving up the coast towards Ceralvo Island. Suddenly he slows down and there is a fair size sickle fin of a marlin 200 yards from shore. Tossed the bait and an instant take-clean miss-rebaited-tossed again fish comes out of the water in a huge strike-game on!!
The first hour went by pretty quickly-something was very different about this fish-he stayed very deep and I could never turn him. I knew he was no bigger than 200 lbs as I had seen the strike. I got the top shot into the reel 3 times and he took it all back-gave Mike a shot for another 1/2 hour then I had a go and finally landed him after 2 hrs and 15 min. You guessed it -foul hooked high in the shoulder-did tremendous damage to his dorsal fin. So now we are 4 hrs gone on a 6 hr charter. Long story short -we picked up 3 dorado-nothing above 20lbs but what great fighters!! The other boats did pretty well on Dorado some to 40 lbs. At 1 pm into the shore side cantina for a fishing debrief and many Cerveza's and margaritas!! I know a lot of guys will ask what it cost so 2 guys in a panga with tip was 100 US each-Bus up and back with driver waiting was 20 bucks- the fishing debrief drinks and lunch-well I'll leave that up to your imagination but we didn't get home til 5.30 Tight Lines

Attachments

• DSC01196.jpg
    DSC01196.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC01205.jpg
    DSC01205.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC01207.jpg
    DSC01207.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC01210.jpg
    DSC01210.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC01213.jpg
    DSC01213.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 498
Awesome!! Looks like you had a wicked day. Keep the Mexico reports coming!

X2!!! Awesome report. Very jealous. Keep em coming man. We can stay warm and fill our fishing fetishes through you this winter :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Augh my arms are aching in sympathy at the thought of a foul hooked marlin. Not jealous of that particular exploit! But I will miss my annual Mexico trip this year, too much work. Hopefully bank that toward spending months rather than weeks there in a decade or so. Thanks for sharing, keep those dorado shots coming. Love catching those guys.

Wicked start SF! I too will have to live through you this winter. The family and I have decide to spend the winter here at the resort. Can't say that I am looking forward to it but it is a must as we have renovations to do and adding a new outdoor spa. The old saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself"

So after 11 years of wintertime Mexico retreats, I will live vicariously through you.

Cheers and have a fantastic winter down there pal. Keep the posts coming.

Hey Capt Mike, nice job with the Marlin, I would of done the same thing Hambone did when we met him and his dad in Nootka at Friendly Cove fighting that monster...........
Now, smoked Marlin collar........

SS

Keep em coming Mike...absolutley love the barefoot fishing scene...you are living the dream with the friendliest folk there are....

Excellent report, SF !! Its always great to hear what you have going on down there.

Back