Backing plate for new all round light?

Saxe Point

I am putting a new all round light on the gunwale near the stern of my 16 foot Double Eagle. The original one is finished-corroded and the plastic cover on the light is broken. The original mount is riveted through the fiberglass and I'll drill them out to remove it.

I noticed that there is no backing plate of wood or plastic. The mount was just riveted through the fiberglass, which is standard stuff and pretty thin

I am wondering if I should put some kind of backing plate in when I attach the new base, which I am going to do with bolts.

This is not a cleat or an antenna mount that I am putting on so would this be overkill? The rivets are still on tight, so maybe it would be waste of time.

Here is the light and mount I am installing: http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/product/135/

The instructions make no mention of a backing plate.

Any advice, based on experience or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

I am putting a new all round light on the gunwale near the stern of my 16 foot Double Eagle. I am wondering if I should put some kind of backing plate in when I attach the new base, which I am going to do with bolts. Any advice, based on experience or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

Your instincts are good - use a backing plate: someone may just decide to steady themselves or use it when "helping" you moor the boat. Use an aluminum or poly (puck board) pad - no rot. Through bolting is always best.

Your instincts are good - use a backing plate: someone may just decide to steady themselves or use it when "helping" you moor the boat. Use an aluminum or poly (puck board) pad - no rot. Through bolting is always best.

X 2. That's how I would do it.

Thanks guys. If someone grabs the light, I'd rather have the pole break than the mount and the fiberglass. I'll put the plate in.

Backing is always a good idea BUT the question I ask myself "does the benefit out way the hassle/work/expense ?" If you are going to install a new mount and remove the old one then it wouldn't hurt to add backing however I feel the benefit is still minimal.
I know exactly what you are talking about as I had a DE 17 with the stock and removable stern post light. The light/post was only inserted if it was being used so not in the way when wasn' needed. When it was inserted and if someone had heaved/torqued on the light post it would have likely snapped/ bent ( or rivets would have snapped) before the base rivets would have ripped through the fiberglass. After 22 years the light post base never ripped out of fiberglass nor have I seen one that did.
I can't say how heavy duty that perko light post is but as a general rule backing ( or nice big washers) adds strength when you need it.

Dry the core wood out. Make small drill holes top and bottom of suspected damage sites. Flood with acetone with an injector rig. Then, flood with epoxy, secure as you 1st planned. gl

Back