Auto pilot

pescador

I've been contemplating installing TR1 on the trolling motor. But I'm now thinking maybe autopilot on my main is a better option. My kicker is connected permanently to my main with the sea star kicker tie bar. When I turn my main my kicker turns and vice versa. Im guessing an auto pilot on a main is more robust. But maybe it's not as sensitive as I need for trolling. Am I missing something in my thinking?? Anybody use a Garmin or like autopilot on their main to drive their kicker for trolling?

in my thinking you will need to have the main running when using your AP to control the kicker as it will need to see an RPM signal,
either that or you'll have to connect the RPM signal from your kicker but then your kicker will have to be running to use the AP
make sense?

Most main helm autopilots are steering only. Only the tr1 has throttle control...therefore shouldn't be an issue.

Wish I could give you some advice, but I've been looking at doing exactly what you propose for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe if there are some good deals at the boat show.

I have owned and installed 3 TR1 they are a really nice unit but will cost u about $2600plus by the time your all done. The throttle control is nice but there are times that having a kicker on one side of the boat really struggles to turn the boat into the wind. You can buy the lowrance autopilot and add the fob to turn the boat from any part of the boat wireless. You will then have a autopilot you can use for fishing and also when on step cruising. When u get into a crowd u need to be on the controls for the most part anyways. If your just looking for more boat controls with out sitting at the helm u could add a intellisteer system they are under $1000. Be careful buying a autopilot there are some that do not work below 2 or 3 mph so they are not good for trolling

I have an autopilot connected to my main and the kicker is connected to my main. It works like a charm and have never had an issue

Salmon Slayer. What system are you running? I've got all Garmin electronics and a Yam main

The TR1 has a heading sensor which allows it to work at basically no forward speed like when your trolling into a fast current. You also don't have to use the throttle control. It is a$350 option. I don't use it and just adjust speed when neccesary via the tiller. Mine works great and sure makes trolling nice especially into a strong wind.
It does not seem to use much battery either. I am thinking an autoPilot on the main would use a lot more having to turn both motors. Plus the TR1 moves the kicker almost constantly to keep an accurate heading. I could not keep my boat going in a straight line into a strong wind but the TR1 keeps it within a few degrees.
Bottom line is I like it.

Mine happens to be raymarine. The key is having hydraulic steering as a posed to cable. Garmine has similar products that will work with hydraulic steering on your boat.

Pescador...I've had a true auto pilot on my Seasport for 23 years...the same one! I'm set up with a Teleflex liquid tie bar so I have a hydraulic cylinder on both my main and my kicker. The inline valve allows me to select just the main to respond to the helm when running and then as I set up to fish, turn the valve and now both engines respond to the helm. Way more responsive and no wind conditions will overpower the pilot. It can steer far better than any person can. (straighter) I only use it for checking my gear when it is windy and I don't want to be constantly running to the helm as the boat falls of course. I bought a Com-Nav unit, the company is based in Vancouver. Almost all the commercial boats use the same brand I choose and is the reason why I bought it. It is also why I choose a Furuno sounder and if and when I decide to put radar on the boat it will be a Furuno. There are only 2 things to keep in mind when installing a auto pilot like the Com-Nav unit. Make sure you mount the pump unit where the noise it makes is deadened or you can insulate it to reduce the pump noise. If your application is an outboard main to kicker then go for a Teleflex smart stick as the rudder follower. (the part of the system which tells the processor what the rudder position is) In the past a linear folwer was used but they are terrible as they suck water and fail quickly. Sea water and electronics don't mix well. There are no moving parts on the Smart Stick and it works by sensing a magnet clamped to the hydraulic cylinder. Since being made aware of the Smart Stick over 8 years ago I have had no problems, it has worked flawlessly. I have the Com Nav 1420 which is the smallest unit they make. It consists of a processor, pump, lines, class one compass and the Smart Stick. I installed mine myself in a day. It comes with a manual on how to calibrate it once installed. That takes 5 minutes.
The unit has sensitivity levels, 10 of them and 2 modes. So you can have mode one with the sensitivity quite high for trolling so the pump kicks in almost continuously to keep you on a straight course. Just like how you have to keep on top of the helm when trolling or get blow off course. In mode 2 you could set the sensitivity to a minimal setting for planing speeds as you don't want constant or huge helm movements at speed. I never use the pilot for this purpose...it could take to long to disengage it if something happens right in front of you. Like spotting a dead head at the last second.

Back