Area 125 chinook retention

Murry

I was checking DFO regulation and from what I understand Area 123-127 is non retention for Chinook. Any word if they are going to have retention the same as last year? 125 July 15-Aug 01 retention with max size and then Aug01 forward, retention with no size restriction?

I was checking DFO regulation and from what I understand Area 123-127 is non retention for Chinook. Any word if they are going to have retention the same as last year? 125 July 15-Aug 01 retention with max size and then Aug01 forward, retention with no size restriction?

likely to be the same from what I understand. The WCVI offshore restrictions are absurd and I can’t see them pushing further draconian closures this year beyond last year’s in that region

Has anybody heard any updates on the retention in 125?
I check DFO and nothing on the website.

The regs are quite confusing...the "Species Regulations" portion quite clearing states that all of 125 is non-retention...but further down in the "Restrictions", it describes the 1NM offshore line (that was in place last year) and that would make a portion of 125 open for retention (like Beano, the outside of Maquinna, south of escalante, etc.). Furthermore, when you click on the map it shows the mouth of Alberni Inlet!!
Am I an idiot, or are the regs contradictory!!??!! It shouldn't be that hard to write clear, concise, and accurate regs....that we don't have to guess about.
Heading there next week and would like to know where non-retention actually is....
Anyone have any clarity?
Thanks,

The regs are quite confusing...the "Species Regulations" portion quite clearing states that all of 125 is non-retention...but further down in the "Restrictions", it describes the 1NM offshore line (that was in place last year) and that would make a portion of 125 open for retention (like Beano, the outside of Maquinna, south of escalante, etc.). Furthermore, when you click on the map it shows the mouth of Alberni Inlet!!
Am I an idiot, or are the regs contradictory!!??!! It shouldn't be that hard to write clear, concise, and accurate regs....that we don't have to guess about.
Heading there next week and would like to know where non-retention actually is....
Anyone have any clarity?
Thanks,

in my former life i would have to peruse pages upon pages of legal documents and be expected to memorize it; then file work procedures to government entities with the strictest of rules. one slip up and you are getting audited.

then dfo provides us with this POS that is so convoluted and confusing. it issimply one of the worst documents i have ever read...

Anyone have any clarity?
Thanks,
I hear ya , we have been having that issue near the south arm of the fraser with the banana and its imaginary line that no one can really give you exact coordinates (last time I checked last year and after 10 years just avoid the area). I guess we really cant blame them , maybe someone should give them a map of the area so they know where it is and what it looks like.

Anyone have any clarity?
Thanks,

Based on my review of the 25/125 regs, the one mile surf line limit is currently the line where you can fish up to and retain Spring/s at Nootka. That area does include part of area 125. As you stated Beano and outside Maquinna are all included in that area. There is a detailed point by GPS point explanation for the entire West Coast in the area's regs. I haven't compared this years co-ordinates to last years, but, I assume they'd be the same. Here is specifically the Nootka Area;

then to 49 degrees 31.494' N 126 degrees 35.669' W seaward of Escalante Point, then to 49 degrees 34.042' N 126 degrees 41.611' W seaward of Maquinna Point, then to 49 degrees 36.254' N 126 degrees 50.538' W seaward of Bajo Point, then to 49 degrees 39.892' N 126 degrees 55.125' W seaward of Skuna Bay, then to 49 degrees 44.400' N 127 degrees 00.289' W seaward of Ferrer Point, then to 49 degrees 50.767' N 127 degrees 10.151' W seaward of Tatchu Point,

What I did was input these co-ordinates into my Garmin system using Homeport, then downloaded on the boats GPS. That way I can fish there and know exactly where I am. The screen shot below showing the red lines is the one mile surfline. Sorry for the lack of detail, but the SD Cards/maps are in the boat......... but you get the idea. There is quite a bit of space from the coast line out to the surf line. Much more than a mile in many areas.....Now as we will assume, things will likely change on July 15 or thereabouts. Disregard that Hali fishing spot....no fish there.

image.png

Last edited:
Based on my review of the 25/125 regs, the one mile surf line limit is currently the line where you can fish up to and retain Spring/s at Nootka. That area does include part of area 125. As you stated Beano and outside Mcquinna are all included in that area. There is a detailed point by GPS point explanation for the entire West Coast in the area's regs. I haven't compared this years co-ordinates to last years, but, I assume they'd be the same. Here is specifically the Nootka Area;

then to 49 degrees 31.494' N 126 degrees 35.669' W seaward of Escalante Point, then to 49 degrees 34.042' N 126 degrees 41.611' W seaward of Maquinna Point, then to 49 degrees 36.254' N 126 degrees 50.538' W seaward of Bajo Point, then to 49 degrees 39.892' N 126 degrees 55.125' W seaward of Skuna Bay, then to 49 degrees 44.400' N 127 degrees 00.289' W seaward of Ferrer Point, then to 49 degrees 50.767' N 127 degrees 10.151' W seaward of Tatchu Point,

What I did was input these co-ordinates into my Garmin system using Homeport, then downloaded on the boats GPS. That way I can fish there and know exactly where I am. The screen shot below showing the red lines is the one mile surf line. Sorry for the lack of detail, but the SD Cards/maps are in the boat......... but you get the idea. There is quite a bit of space from the coast line out to the surf line. Much more than a mile in many areas.....Now as we will assume, things will likely change on July 15 or thereabouts. Disregard that Hali fishing spot....no fish there.

View attachment 53744
based on the reports i am getting i seriously doubt there are any halibut there. apparently the entire area is a big mess of long lines right now. going there in a month. hope i’m wrong

Based on my review of the 25/125 regs, the one mile surf line limit is currently the line where you can fish up to and retain Spring/s at Nootka. That area does include part of area 125. As you stated Beano and outside Maquinna are all included in that area. There is a detailed point by GPS point explanation for the entire West Coast in the area's regs. I haven't compared this years co-ordinates to last years, but, I assume they'd be the same. Here is specifically the Nootka Area;

What I did was input these co-ordinates into my Garmin system using Homeport, then downloaded on the boats GPS. That way I can fish there and know exactly where I am. The screen shot below showing the red lines is the one mile surfline. Sorry for the lack of detail, but the SD Cards/maps are in the boat......... but you get the idea. There is quite a bit of space from the coast line out to the surf line. Much more than a mile in many areas.....Now as we will assume, things will likely change on July 15 or thereabouts. Disregard that Hali fishing spot....no fish there.

View attachment 53744

U stole my hali spot ...;):D

Back