April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

Might have to start to travel to the Great Lakes. Do some walleye fishing through out the province and end up on Lake Ontario for a couple weeks. It’s out east they get lots of money for hatcheries and stocking., can’t beat em join em.
Don’t under estimate the Great Lakes. It’s been awhile but when I lived there we’d fish near Manitoulin Island. Salmon retention was five per day. It was not uncommon to catch 3-4 species in a day without downriggers. Plus some Lakers, browns and rainbows. A good book is The Death and Life of the Great Lakes.

Thanks OBD for posting the "revised" notice. Important for people to understand that the IFMP runs from June to June....carry-over of the regulations we saw last season is not unexpected. Thus the reason for the new notice highlighting this is an INTERIM measure.

Also of note is, there are still ongoing consultations taking place with regard to the SFAB proposal advanced. Don't forget that the SFAB proposal was constructed utilizing the best available science - input from DFO's own Science Branch. The sky ain't falling yet. Of course, should someone choose to make a largely political decision, that certainly wouldn't be one based on the current science used to assess the proposed MSF measures. Don't run off and sell your boat just yet.

If we see the proposed MSF measures largely ignored by this Minister, then that will be a clear indication that politics outweigh science for this Liberal government. And, you all know how to vote going forward and whom has (or hasn't) got your back.

Last edited:
Just send your concerns to the minister I did I'm sure lots of us have. If we focus our energies there instead of wasting them here we might actually accomplish our goal...a small concerned group of compassionate people can affect change...truly it's the only thing that ever does....
Couldn't agree more...one thing everyone can do that is more productive to efforts to establish MSF opportunities is if everyone sent a letter to the Minister it all helps. Way more productive than expressing frustrations on these forums for sure! The challenge is most folks in our sector are waiting for someone or some organization to come in like a knight in shinning armour....while those efforts are happening, what is even more helpful is people taking a few minutes to craft an email or letter to the Minister. Doesn't need to be sophisticated prose, just express your concerns honestly from your perspective. Tell the Minister how the last few years of non-retention has impacted you personally.

Back to the original post - I certainly hope the BC situation will be different than the situation here in WA. The Puget Sound Chinook runs that hadn't already gone extinct by 1999 or so were listed as endangered & restrictions were implemented 20 years ago.

If desired, you can view the gory details here:

20 years into this & they are declining, not recovering; this year (2021) our Chinook MSF's were cut by around 75%.

If I had to depend on only fishing Chinook in Puget Sound where I live I would not own a boat.

Back to the original post - I certainly hope the BC situation will be different than the situation here in WA. The Puget Sound Chinook runs that hadn't already gone extinct by 1999 or so were listed as endangered & restrictions were implemented 20 years ago.

If desired, you can view the gory details here:

20 years into this & they are declining, not recovering; this year (2021) our Chinook MSF's were cut by around 75%.

If I had to depend on only fishing Chinook in Puget Sound where I live I would not own a boat.
Fishery related removals aren't the smoking gun. SO long as people ignore some of the real reasons for salmon declines all we will accomplish with this focus on fishery measures is a bunch of feel good measures that do nothing to arrest the decline. Start with pinniped predation as top of the list.

He's right tho we are going down the washington state root of avoiding stocks of concern at all costs. I don't think its unrealistic to assume that with adding pressure to the SFAB identified areas what we could find more stocks of concerns show up in the data and end up with more restrictions. Guaranteed with no recovery plan this is the situation we will find ourselves in!

And that is the problem absolutely no recovery plan by East Coast minister. Were in same spot as we were in 2003 when they first started cutting back.

One thing I have come to realize much more is how Ottawa needs to just go away, and manage it's Eastern stocks.

Never have seen such divide amongst our groups, and it's caused by DFO and how it just bows to the enviro groups every-time they say fetch. How many threats does it take for DFO to go enough. They do it every year. Wonder why look at all the ministers in government background with WWF, and Sierra club etc.

FN, Commercial, and Rec should unite, and take this government to court for the crappy job they have done to get us here.

It's shameful honestly.

Agreed...we need to move past the politics and focus in on addressing what are the largest known barriers to salmon recovery. Chasing fishery closures is a fools game. We would close every fishery and still have no meaningful recovery. I would start with addressing pinniped predation, even if the ENGO's don't like it. I know it would be tempting to advocate for more hatchery programs, but for the most part those would just be temporary measures required to fill the gap until we get predation under control.

I'd go with pinniped predation. Read somewhere recently that pinniped's use the structure of the Hood Canal Bridge as cover to ambush young fish. Think of all that structure in the waters of the lower Fraser, couple that with the zap of run-off pollutants compromising the young fish's health & ability to avoid predator's. The treaty tribes down here are on board with this saying they think the Pinniped's remove 6 times the fish of all fishing combined.
We have had a recovery plan down here; includes habitat restoration - other than a few "grab a case of Beer & a Chainsaw" projects not much has happened. Takes some serious money, plus how do you recover/mitigate the loss of water filtration/pollutant removal issues on the lower Fraser?
Fishery related removals aren't the smoking gun. SO long as people ignore some of the real reasons for salmon declines all we will accomplish with this focus on fishery measures is a bunch of feel good measures that do nothing to arrest the decline. Start with pinniped predation as top of the list.
IMO the smoking gun varies by watershed & several smoking guns are at play.
Then there is the "P" word. IMO the only groups who want more Salmon are those that fish - pretty small minority, and that includes those who advocate for the SRKW's .

Since April first the weather has been excellent for salmon fishing!
Unfortunately I will not fish if I have to release a fish that is not going to survive!
I am haunted by the image of a wild coho floating belly up after being badly hooked. I have always thought a good regulation would be keep your first one or two fish and go home?

The old saying goes "A 2 year old could manage a fishery if it's all just shut down". With record boat and rec equipment sales in general, limiting opportunity into condensed areas really puts pressure on the smaller local stocks (Nahmint... while focusing harvest on Robertson Creek). More folks hitting the water and less area yikes should be a fire drill giddy up.

Feel bad for all Saltwater guides, limited gear supply, rising fuel / insurance costs and our boy leader federally funding a negative advertisement campaign for ya

Last edited:
Lol, we do have a 2 year old at the helm...Pee Wee Herman is doing such a great job. Just look at where Canada ranks in getting covid shots to our population...worse than a 3rd world country. Epic leadership....we can expect more simple minded solutions going forward with him at the helm.

If we’re comparing to US and UK re: vaccine roll out, would you also like their death-rate at 3-4x Canada’s? While it would be nice to pick and chose select aspects of the pandemic response for improvement, Canada’s “leadership” (despite an inept PM) has kept Canadians much safer than most.

As far as pinniped predation goes, particularly for Fraser stocks given the extreme turbidity in the Fraser, the models for clear river systems, with obvious predation neck points like locks, dams and lit-up bridges, just dont logically translate. It also doesn’t account for effects like the severe gender-based mortality dimorphism in sockeye stocks recently highlighted by Scott Hinches lab (https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/10.1139/cjfas-2020-0385).

IMHO, we either want to conserve these animals, which means real change and sacrifice to conserve enough of their habitat, water and spawning population to allow them to persist, or we’re too selfish to change and will continue to point fingers and chase fringe issues until they’re extinct. Given our 100+ year history of continuing to flog the same failed fisheries management over and over and over again to the tune of billions of dollars, I’m betting on the latter.

Cheers!

Ukee

If we’re comparing to US and UK re: vaccine roll out, would you also like their death-rate at 3-4x Canada’s? While it would be nice to pick and chose select aspects of the pandemic response for improvement, Canada’s “leadership” (despite an inept PM) has kept Canadians much safer than most.

As far as pinniped predation goes, particularly for Fraser stocks given the extreme turbidity in the Fraser, the models for clear river systems, with obvious predation neck points like locks, dams and lit-up bridges, just dont logically translate. It also doesn’t account for effects like the severe gender-based mortality dimorphism in sockeye stocks recently highlighted by Scott Hinches lab (https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/10.1139/cjfas-2020-0385).

IMHO, we either want to conserve these animals, which means real change and sacrifice to conserve enough of their habitat, water and spawning population to allow them to persist, or we’re too selfish to change and will continue to point fingers and chase fringe issues until they’re extinct. Given our 100+ year history of continuing to flog the same failed fisheries management over and over and over again to the tune of billions of dollars, I’m betting on the latter.

Cheers!

Ukee
Canada played the only card it had....lock down social contacts. Once you fail at securing vaccines that's all you really have. Scare the crap out of the population to keep them in line long enough for your lackluster approach to securing vaccines. The right thing to do actually was to close down all air travel internationally unless passengers had pre-boarding covid tests confirming they are covid free...and even then, 2 week quarantine before being allowed to move around. There's a lot Canada could have done better, but I agree that our efforts to limit social contacts and spread paid off...but the facts don't support your conclusion that Canada performed better than the US. Don't be influenced by the relative large numbers from the US as compared to Canada - our population base is significantly smaller. Doesn't excuse the ****** leadership - we will be paying for the economic consequences of this for generations.

Deaths per 100,000:

UK - 2.9%
US - 1.8%
Canada - 2.3%

Last edited:
Back