Apex lures

I throw one on for coho in the fall in JDF Strait. Green and white 5 “. Seems to catch a few but works way better when you’re playing AC/DC or any ‘80’s metal band. Match the music to the lure I say.
This hit the funny bone! I caught a 25+ Chinook circa 1983 off Marshall Pt on Texada Island on a green and white apex and there's a 50/50 chance AC/DC was the album on deck.

This hit the funny bone! I caught a 25+ Chinook circa 1983 off Marshall Pt on Texada Island on a green and white apex and there's a 50/50 chance AC/DC was the album on deck.
What's the other 50%

Anyone who was fisherman in 70-80's knows the the gear changes, but the fish don't. Apex are good lure just without the marketing. Fisherman are always looking for next best thing. I use them once an a while. Yes they do work.

Clear anchovy heads work too. Go figure.

Haha Mrs Sly took our then-teenage daughter and her friends out fishing in a 14 ft tinnie at Epsom Pt and hooked a tyee on a pink Hotspot, 4 oz Gibbs weight and 50 pulls. That poor unlucky fish failed to overcome a birdsnested reel and three screaming teenage girls trying to use two nets at once. That was back in the late 90s and I have yet to see a finer fish at our cabin.

If you can find the OLD Chrome Apex, when the body was scratched up from fish teeth, they were red underneath. Seemed the more Coho you caught and the more damage, the better they worked!

Those were the days out of Bowser south of Deep Bay, and then across to Flora and Norris Rocks. Maybe some day the Coho will come back. As for the old Apex red with chrome over top, probably not.

Drewski

Like I said I'm pretty green on the brine but they sure work in the big lakes. This is a legit 14 lb rainbow unfortunatly couldn't be released.

Good o'l chrome and blue I bought on the clearance rack at walmart. It's my number one producer.

Attachments

• Resized_20190114_095358_2703.jpg
    Resized_20190114_095358_2703.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 86
Like I said I'm pretty green on the brine but they sure work in the big lakes. This is a legit 14 lb rainbow unfortunatly couldn't be released.

Good o'l chrome and blue I bought on the clearance rack at walmart. It's my number one producer.

What a cow!

We used the small green and pink Apex lures for coho before the crash off the green and red cans off the south end of Quadra Island in my then 12 ft tin Lund and 9.9 Johnson back in the late 1980’s. It would take us less than an hour to limit out, the good old days.

We used the small green and pink Apex lures for coho before the crash off the green and red cans off the south end of Quadra Island in my then 12 ft tin Lund and 9.9 Johnson back in the late 1980’s. It would take us less than an hour to limit out, the good old days.
Man, we had the exact same boat except it was a 14’ Lund. same power. a Johnny 9.9 we used to launch at Ken Forde ramp and chug across to the cans. it took longer to travel across than it did to get your fish. man the good old days eh?

When it's on, it's on. Even in today's leaner scene, if you're in the right place at the right time you'll limit out. Happened to us last year at the Kains lighthouse out from Winter Harbour. Coming home from fishing springs all day, took one pass along the kelp beds with shallow trolled plugs. Bam, double header on coho inside two minutes. Got those cleared and gear back down, around for another tack, bam again. Four tacks, eight fish, 45 minutes.

Man, we had the exact same boat except it was a 14’ Lund. same power. a Johnny 9.9 we used to launch at Ken Forde ramp and chug across to the cans. it took longer to travel across than it did to get your fish. man the good old days eh?
Too funny as that’s where I mainly launched from as I lived off Dahl road at the time. My neighbor and I would head across and be back in a hour with 8 coho. Let’s hope that more coho survive and return to do more of that type of fishing in the future. I know I could start a new thread here about the many issues plaguing fish survival like logging, fish farms urban development but that’s already being covered elsewhere. We are making slow progress and kudos to the many hatcheries up and down the the east coast of the island helping.

I just read your post Sly_Karma and yes we had the same experience at the lighthouse a few years ago by Winter Harbour, couldn’t keep the coho off. We had another similar experience about 5 years off Baja off Nootka. It’s amazing how hard some of the coho hit.

Growing up and fishing with my dad in the 80's and 90's off of Kitty, we used an Apex Hot Spot, grey and white, all the time. Produced most of our fish.

When I got my boat last year, I picked one up. It has yet to hook a fish. Most of my fish have come to the boat on hootchies.

Back