Apex lures

Confused

Does anyone still use them in saltwater anymore? I do.....always have one down if not using bait. As productive as any other gear that I have, other than bait, and I have a lot of gear.
Hardly ever see anyone use them anymore so was wondering why???
What everyone's favourite color?
My goto colors are black/ silver and pink.

Attachments

• apexsizes.jpg
    apexsizes.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 44
I made a trip to Bamfield a few years ago with my sons.I ran 3 downriggers and always used the middle one for experimenting with different lures and kept the outside riggers with the tried and true gear.On the run in from Alberni we dropped the gear at the Wall before heading to Mckay Bay.My son pulled a 34 Tyee with a 6" chrome Apex in the first half hour from the middle rigger .We pulled up and met our friends at the dock,pretty impressed with our catch.It worked more than once on that trip but I don't normally run them in Victoria.

Yes a few people have mentioned they're still using them here-one a large Chrome and another swears by but not at Watermelon and I've found both more than effective.

Finding the colour you want isn't always easy these days I'm using Westside store in Salmon Arm excellent service & selection for any Apex.

Attachments

• IMGP0459.JPG
    IMGP0459.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
4.5 black to clear used to be deadly on OK lake on the spring. Got a couple Chinook on them here in area 14. I have never given them much time on the salt since the 80’s when visiting Powell River.

I carry two for the slow days although I've yet to catch on one.

Use the 4” black/white apex for dollies on Kootenay lake and the watermelon and blue chrome for coho with good success

Use smaller apex in saltwater for coho when currents and bites are slow. One of wife’s go to lures when things slow down. Silver/purple, green/purple, and yes watermeloon are her favourites.

Not sure about them in the salt but sure work well on the big lakes in the okanogan. Chrome with blue scale 4.5" troll fast just under the surface. Wish I could find a chrome with purple scale modle. Oh as I was unaware ... they make a slow and fast troll model, so the skinny guys all the way. The slow trolls plane out at higher speeds.

the small peach and pink have been my go to for coho for over 20 years. Can't find that color except when I look threw my stuff, I usually come up with one or two lol

One place Apex are still wildly popular is Sweden a few years back I found I could order any colour or size in a flash if I paid a fortune in shipping.

Apex are garbage. Truly.
There are so many better gear options;
Spoons, plugs, hootchies, bait, a bare hook.
If an apex lure was the only piece of gear left to fish on my boat, well I'd start the main!
Pastafarian

Apex are garbage. Truly.
There are so many better gear options;
Spoons, plugs, hootchies, bait, a bare hook.
If an apex lure was the only piece of gear left to fish on my boat, well I'd start the main!
Pastafarian
Tell us how you really feel? lol ive always had luck with a 4" chrome apex on top 300' back for bows on ok lake, as for salmon little success with black and white cop car, army truck, blue/white/yellow, and chrome/blue 50/50

Apex have played them in shuswap lake for me... I have found fishing salmon however that they are easily able to bite through the line that runs over the top to the hook and as such end up losing a few. I keep then on hand for pinks and trout in the larger lakes. Great action on the little ones for sure.

had a good day a few seasons ago when we ran out of bait , no flasher, clear black apex. those were the days when we were getting 20 plus fish though so could have just been sheer numbers of fish around

Back