Anyone running the new yamaha f300b?

ab1752

Crew Member
Curious to hear if anyone is running the new f300b, does it live up to the reputation for reverse control with the new location for exhaust bubbles. It's supposed to work well for the prop to hit clean water around the docks. Same for the new digital integrated steering...cheers.

Even on THT I'm not sure that many/any people have taken delivery of these yet.

I've been watching there too, along with bd. Nothing like being am early adopter...haha. Now let's see when yamaha can actually deliver. Digital steering here we come...I still need to see if it can fail to mechanical somehow. I'm guessing no...

Curious to hear if anyone is running the new f300b, does it live up to the reputation for reverse control with the new location for exhaust bubbles. It's supposed to work well for the prop to hit clean water around the docks. Same for the new digital integrated steering...cheers.

Digital steering. Yikes!

Yeh yikes no kidding. I'm not sold on digital. No fixing it in the field if it craps. I know one guide who had his digital gear shift go..the module was $5000. Few choices but to pay to play. I'll stick to the $60 cables.

Yeh yikes no kidding. I'm not sold on digital. No fixing it in the field if it craps. I know one guide who had his digital gear shift go..the module was $5000. Few choices but to pay to play. I'll stick to the $60 cables.
Over complication is killing a lot of industry faith and causes more headaches then it’s actually worth! Lol just like cable throttle control to drive by wire in vehicles and even outboards now… KISS method should always be used!

Still running 1997 Yami 200 2 stroke myself. 24 years old, powerhead has been rebuilt using Wiseco forged pistons. Never touched the gearcase or power tilt unit in all that time except for impellers and gear oil in the leg.

You guys, geez haha..Anyway if the promise of digital steering can't deliver a fail to open scenario then that's off the table. It's an option with the new B engines anyway but the promise of less **** to trip over and cables to mess with has a certain alure, admit it haha

You guys, geez haha..Anyway if the promise of digital steering can't deliver a fail to open scenario then that's off the table. It's an option with the new B engines anyway but the promise of less **** to trip over and cables to mess with has a certain alure, admit it haha
It’s been working in planes for years, with the one big exception. They should be great, but what does the price point look like?

It’s been working in planes for years, with the one big exception. They should be great, but what does the price point look like?

I'm waiting to get the final quote next week but at srp, the merc and yamaha are similar dollars it seems. Suzuki too...

Ask them how much the parts that run that system cost if they fail. Better to know going in than be shocked later.

Electric controls and steering has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever seen in a boat.

The merc verado unit. Total crap. I replace those pump assemblies all the time. They draw alot of power also. Hard on alternators and batteries. Dumb

The mercruiser electric controls and steering. The most absolute biggest pos on the market. Has left many of people I know stranded. 2 huge AGM batteries per engine and not cheap. Again hard on batteries. Voltage can read ok and the steering system will shutdown. See this happen. 2 grand later with special batteries it works again. One of my clients had to fly in batteries from the mainland in the middle of August to desolation.

Evinrude g2. Electric over hydraulic assisted steering. Total pos. Complete failure to almost every single unit. That was a mechanical problem. The Electric side was OK.

Seastar wins.

Still running 1997 Yami 200 2 stroke myself. 24 years old, powerhead has been rebuilt using Wiseco forged pistons. Never touched the gearcase or power tilt unit in all that time except for impellers and gear oil in the leg.
That outboard has serve you well profisher. What is the secret for not having the block corrode through?

The steering sounds cool. nice to see how it works out after a few years.

That outboard has serve you well profisher. What is the secret for not having the block corrode through?
All the internal passages are coated from the factory with a teflon type coating which prevents salt from sticking. There are some parts without the protection like the t-stats...so you have to check them each spring for any build up and remove it. Otherwise the motor only gets flushed after each use when its on the trailer. When docked during the summer it never gets flushed...just used often. The only corrosion issue has been with electrical...I have replaced the engine wiring harness as it was starting to cause some intermittent failures of devices like activating the remote oil tank pump. Also replaced all the spark plug boots for the same reason..intermittent misses from internal corrosion. But nothing lasts forever...24 years is very good though and still going.

Electric controls and steering has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever seen in a boat.

The merc verado unit. Total crap. I replace those pump assemblies all the time. They draw alot of power also. Hard on alternators and batteries. Dumb

The mercruiser electric controls and steering. The most absolute biggest pos on the market. Has left many of people I know stranded. 2 huge AGM batteries per engine and not cheap. Again hard on batteries. Voltage can read ok and the steering system will shutdown. See this happen. 2 grand later with special batteries it works again. One of my clients had to fly in batteries from the mainland in the middle of August to desolation.

Evinrude g2. Electric over hydraulic assisted steering. Total pos. Complete failure to almost every single unit. That was a mechanical problem. The Electric side was OK.

Seastar wins.
We’re slowly losing out on control of our controls. Many cars no longer have park brake cables or transmission shift cables. Ridiculous you can’t throw a car in park without a battery.

A good read on digital electric steering systems developed by Yamaha and Dometic (aka SeaStar Solutions). It states that Yamaha designed redundancies to protect in the event of a failure but if all goes down, then there's an Allen key bolt to unlock and manually control the engine to limp home. Sounds fun but not much different than a blown hydraulic cable which also happens too.

Anyway it's an option to those who are looking at this technology as an alternative for new yamaha and any engine as a bolt upgrade on too from Dometic.

Back