Anyone Here Play An Instrument?.....

I play an 88 American Strat, not all that well but I enjoy it.;) eman

Last edited by a moderator:
Guitar and vocals here. Go-to guitar is a Martin DCXE with an Ibanez Artcore Hollowbody and a 70's era MIJ hotrodded Strat to round out my electric collection. Do a YouTube search for a band called Skidmarc playing a tune called Jolene -- that's me on the bass...

Sadly, my guitar playing days ended in 2010 when I caught my hand in a hydraulic bender. Wasn't any good but I could at least carry a tune.

Drums, guitar, bass, mandolin, and pretty much any other musical instrument I can get my hands on. I am better with some than with others but it's a long learning process and it's always fun to challenge yourself.

Drums - 1972 Ludwig Vistalites
Guitar - Ovation celebrity in birds eye mayple bought new
Bass - 1980's Squire Jazz bass
Mando - Ovation Applause

I played guitar since I was 15--- blues and rock n' roll, and then for the last 20 years, classical guitar. Last year I finally bit the bullet and purchased a true concert guitar ( Ramirez 1A) --- same guitar Segovia played.

The guy who sold it to me said: .."dude, this guitar will change your life!!!!"

It changed my life alright: I went nuts playing this guitar, sometimes 5 hours a day without stop and now, what happened after a year of intensive playing??

For the last two weeks, I've lost feeling in both my hands, numbness in my arms and shoulder, and can no longer play that guitar-- Repetitive Stress Syndrome

Tomorrow I'm going on a 7 day wilderness trip for steelhead, rowing down a river. At this point, I'm wondering if I can even make a fist around the oar handles much less cast a fly for 7 straight days

Not trying to sing the blues here or put on my mining hat for sympathy--- just warning people--- be careful! They also call this Repetitive Stress Injury: you can spend a few scary hours reading about how awful it is if you do a Google search...... not sure why I wasn't clued in enough to sidestep that trauma before

If you read about Leona Boyd (famous Canadian classical guitarist): Repetitive Stress Injury destroyed her career. And funny thing--- her guitar of choice was a Ramirez 1A

So not to be a wet blanket here, but instrumentalists.....beware!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for ya, Sharphooks.....I'm quite conscious of the stress-related injuries one can aquire from various stringed instruments.

Mostly it seems it has do with scale-length, width of nut, size of frets, shape of neck and a couple of other things.

I play an Ibanez SR500bass and a shortscale Squier Jaguar SS. Both 1 1/2 inch nut width. Comfortable for me and they have no "neck dive" hardly.

I can't play many of the wider-nut P-basses or other brands .......too hard on my fingers and wrists. Have to have the neck angle about 45 degrees to play or I have issues.

Also the shape of the neck is a consideration. My Ibby is pretty good. The Jag has a C-neck but it works for me.

I have found with related injuries has to do with more of poor posture and pronating of the wrist that causes injury, changing technique usually helps alot.

Sounds like we need to gather the SFBC band. Call ourselves "The Shipheads" or "Smells like a Fish" and rock the next SFBC G2G. So far we have guitars, drums, bass, keys a couple singers. Just need a few doo-wap girls, alcohol, darkness and an audience and we have a trainwreck in the making! I'm in!

Back