Anyone ever seen these white dots on canned salmon?

Rain City

Crew Member
None of the other jars look like this. Anyone ever seen it? Those are capers on top.
20240205_175737.jpg

It could just be the fats /proteins, but I probably wouldn’t eat it, I make quite a bit of canned salmon and that looks a little off.
I had a couple snap lids that popped off easy, didn’t quite seal good enough a couple batches ago and ended up sacrificing them. It doesn’t feel good to do that after putting in the effort, but better then hugging the toilet.

Looks like fat to me. Lid was tight should be fine.
That's what I figured too. I just found it odd that none of the other jars had any of this. Just the normal amount of albumin. You can see it clearly on the capers, where as the othe ones, the capers were dark and green, like capers should look. 20240205_175737.jpg

it looks like a mold (botulism is invisble and odorless, + they don't form colonies like this, but as a precursor of spoilage that could lead to it, yes)

something was contaminated somewhere in the process (maybe not a fully sealed/sanitized lid if none of the others are like this)

it probably will not result in your demise, but it may induce vomiting and seizures

depending on your ingredients in the jar the smell may not be noticeable, but will become apparent the more it is exposed
like when they open you up and suddenly you have cancers growing

Back