Anyone been to Duncanby Lodge recently ... thinking of going

anorthernhunter

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a little perspective ... my fishing buddy and I are looking at changing things up this year and
trying out a new spot and looking at Duncanby Lodge.

Anyone been there recently - thoughts on the fishing the boats (unguided) and the service?

Northern

Without commenting on the lodge directly Rivers Inlet is not my first choice I don't like being stuck on the inside like that much prefer easy access to outside waters more variety and not just in terms of bottomfish.

Was supposed to go next week ... because of this covid crap , we cancelled till next yr ..... was there 2 yrs ago , was too much fun , that's why we are going back ... the boats are 18.5 welded aluminum with 90 Mercs ... nice boats , service is out of this world .They go out of their way to make you happy

What is your previous lodge experience for comparison?
WCVI, Haida Gwaii, Rivers Inlet, and Prince Rupert area are all quite different in my experience. Have had a great time in these areas unguided and/or on our own boat but as mentioned above all are different fishing experiences. Proximity to fishing grounds, hali holes, boats ect all different. Having said that looks like Duncanby just got a bunch of new Bridgeview ext 18 CC’s which are sweeeeeet

Those new Bridgeview 18EXTs are gorgeous!!! I inquired about buying one but theyre a little out of my league.

Hi Zodiac,

We have been going to Langara Island with WCFC for 15 + years - and all unguided so not sure what the "relative" difference is between that experience and Duncanby. I hear that the fishing can be spotty at Rivers Inlet but not sure of the accuracy of those stories.

Feel free to PM if you wish.

Northern.

I am heading to Duncanby in a couple of weeks. This will be our 5th trip in a row...that should say enough but I will expand a bit.
Sid runs a great operation...the staff are the best from the cleaners to the guides.
The lodge boats are awesome, spent a week in one the first year they had them.
The guides are good, some change over the last few years.
Most of the fishing is fairly close to the lodge so the unguided boats are fine, bring some favorite gear if you like to add to your arsenal, I poached a couple of hootchies off a guide one year that were working really well... he handed them over freely.
Remember that this is mainly a salmon destination, bottom fish can be had for sure and yes there are better locales for hali and lings...they are there for sure, I have released some monsters and kept some beauty lings.
But Rivers is special, one of the last statistically significant systems that are producing fish over 40, Sid is part of the hatchery up there and are now seeing returns.

If you can go...go, you won't regret it.

Getbent

I agree with Getbent. I haven't been up in a few years. Perhaps not as productive an area as Haida Gwaii and less species variety but it remains one of the best areas anywhere to catch big Springs. They really encourage guests to release anything big. But a first class operation with great boats, gear, accommodations, and food. If you choose to go unguided, they will give you lots of direction as to where to fish.

Free house Beer and Wine, all you can drink. Food service is whenever you want it. You don’t have to return for set dinner service times.

I don’t have any experience with other lodges but I’d say that the staff are fantastic, accommodations are great and the fishing grounds are very close. On your last night you’ll be treated to a crab feast and Sid’s famous milkshakes.

Free house Beer and Wine, all you can drink. Food service is whenever you want it. You don’t have to return for set dinner service times.

I don’t have any experience with other lodges but I’d say that the staff are fantastic, accommodations are great and the fishing grounds are very close. On your last night you’ll be treated to a crab feast and Sid’s famous milkshakes.

That sounds pretty decent!!

I've been up to Duncanby a few times now and agree with most of what others have said. Service and food are great. Super friendly staff and they clearly put an emphasis and guests having a good time over anything else. As others mentioned they and big info C&R of any big chinook and are very supportive of the nearby hatchery in the Owikeeno village that they were key in getting off the ground.

The accommodation is pretty basic and many rooms have up to 4 beds /guests per cabin so don't expect to have a lot of privacy in your room. That said, i've always stayed with people in my crew and it's been no issue.

The fishing is not going to be lights out year round either. The boats / guides rarely fish at the head and prefer to stay close to the lodge which is close to the 'outside' for those concerned about being stuck way up the inlet. I was up in early June last year and the fishing was very good. Got some really nice springs including a couple in the low 30's that we released (and got reels for!).

Overall I think it's a great option for most people. The water is more protected that many other lodges so that's nice for some who don't like the big swells. Happy to share any further thoughts via DM if you're looking for more info. Enjoy!

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a little perspective ... my fishing buddy and I are looking at changing things up this year and
trying out a new spot and looking at Duncanby Lodge.

Anyone been there recently - thoughts on the fishing the boats (unguided) and the service?

Northern

I've been up to Duncanby a few times now and agree with most of what others have said. Service and food are great. Super friendly staff and they clearly put an emphasis and guests having a good time over anything else. As others mentioned they and big info C&R of any big chinook and are very supportive of the nearby hatchery in the Owikeeno village that they were key in getting off the ground.

The accommodation is pretty basic and many rooms have up to 4 beds /guests per cabin so don't expect to have a lot of privacy in your room. That said, i've always stayed with people in my crew and it's been no issue.

The fishing is not going to be lights out year round either. The boats / guides rarely fish at the head and prefer to stay close to the lodge which is close to the 'outside' for those concerned about being stuck way up the inlet. I was up in early June last year and the fishing was very good. Got some really nice springs including a couple in the low 30's that we released (and got reels for!).

Overall I think it's a great option for most people. The water is more protected that many other lodges so that's nice for some who don't like the big swells. Happy to share any further thoughts via DM if you're looking for more info. Enjoy!
Yah no need to fish the head until later in the season.

Without commenting on the lodge directly Rivers Inlet is not my first choice I don't like being stuck on the inside like that much prefer easy access to outside waters more variety and not just in terms of bottomfish.
For insurance reason you cannot fish in outside waters at Langara

For insurance reason you cannot fish in outside waters at Langara
Last I was @ Langara I was questioned about where I was planning on being but no one said anything about outside except that a few days it was too rough to head out there-something you could tell from the lodge.

Back