Anybody been to Ukee?

Heading over to Ucluelet on Friday for a 4 day weekend. Sounds like the fishing is all offshore? Anybody been out lately?

Aug 17th: Pukefest! only managed a couple pinks and cohoes at South Bank 8 foot swells and 25 knot winds -tough conditions and limited time on the water.
Aug 18th: 15 knot winds 5 foot swell slow morning at South Bank, moved away from the fleet 2 miles SW and got a 25 and 2 teens and some coho. Good day.
Aug 19th: 0 wind, calm seas, sun came out, whales, porpoise, and feed everywhere - 33 miles from Ukee. Lots of boats. Lots of fish.
Lost the 2 biggest ones and got 5 in the 20s. Many, many cohoes, especially after 10:00am, limits of hatchery, 2 or 3 at a time chasing clips and following hooked fish to the boat. 5 guys taking turns playing fish but it was so busy we only fished 2 rods and a bucktail mostly. Never went 5 minutes without a hit from am till we went in at 3:00. Awesome day even without the hogs.
9-10 inch Pilchards in bellies
One side chovy, my side Baitrix: equal amount of action, but Baitrix took 1 dogfish to 7 on the other side and I left it down if the fish didn't stick on a hit (No need to check bait).
Tried a big plug for a few minutes, but we were only making 2 mph and since I was a guest on a friend's boat and that was the speed they like to fish at, I switched back as it went untouched.
Tons of fish on the dock. Saw 4 tyees for 2 guys from SW corner plus a load of tuna on a charter boat(30 miles out, but west of where we were).
My salmon season is over, good luck to all!

Sounds like a great trip. Was anybody heading into Barkley Sound when the waves kicked up? Anything happening on the inside over at Austin or Cree?

Salmon fishing is over for the year? Its mid August!

Been to Telegraph, Nootka, and Ukee this summer. Longish round trips from the Okanagan The fishing fund is empty , plus I have to get back to coaching/ teaching 6 days a week Sept.4th.
Thsnks to the forum members, I seem to be improving my results.

We didn't try too hard on the inside. Lots of shakers at Swale and Kirby before heading out to puke some more on day one. Most boats in Ukee went outside or stayed at the dock that day.
Purple Haze flasher and same colour Krippled Anch. worked well. good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty excited as this is my first time out on the newest addition to our boat rental fleet (North River Seahawk 21). You could say that we're doing a little market research? Yeah, thats it. :)

We've been fishing Barkley the past few years on my buddy's 17' Whaler Montauk and its a bit small and a lot wet for the west side. I'm looking forward to fishing from something that can go out to the banks and has some room. And cover. Did I mention cover?

If the weather and sea conditions cooperate, I'm just as happy to go offshore for the fish. More room to maneuver. There are times at Pill Point or Kirby where it gets way too crowded.

I'll make sure to bring all my purple haze gear. Thanks again.

Back