Any weird catches this summer ie Humbolt squid ..e

Landed small hootchie and a far better flasher and deep six planer off the Fraser North Arm in Sept. Nothing else odd. Whats a Humbolt squid? A squid from down South a ways?

Yup . Humbolts are from southern waters and venture up this way with the warm currents . One caught at swiftsure 2 yrs ago by a fishing buddy . The odd Sunfish seen then as well .

Saw a sunfish this year in Nootka offshore, but thats about it this past year..lots of Mackerel, but they're starting to be normal to see now.

i ran into a massive school of squids about 3-4 years ago. they were trying to mate with my lures but got caught on the hooks. so i caught abunch and froze them for bait

Yep, Humbolts O plenty. My fishing partner phones me, after a trip I couldn't make, in mid Sept to rub in all the good news. So I ask," How'd you do?" He replies," Got a 35,30,28,25" I say, Wow what a trip etc.His responce, Yea, but they were squid.
He gave me the 30# one. These suckers are some kind of eating machine. I cut the beck out, this thing could take off 2 fingers no prob. It looked just like a parrot beck. The whole thing streched to nearly 6', with little barbs around the suction cups.
I havn't cooked any yet. The body thickness is about 1.75" and a creamy white. Buddy says I should pound it to tenderize it a bit befor I eat it.
Should be interesting.
Brokenrod

They're actually pretty tastey BrokenRod :D
And certainly a LOT of 'em!!
Here's a couple of pix from last year:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/BigSquid_2.sized.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/BigSquid.jpg

Only saw a couple of these monsters this year. But, a buddy was fishing up at Quatsino Sound earlier this year, and they tagged a half-dozen or so. So I guess there are still a few about. Fast efficient warm-water predators, I don't like the ramifications for our salmon that their presence may bring! Most of those we caught we actually snagged by a trailing hootchie, while attacking the flasher. Seems they like their munchies in size LARGE!

Other items of interest this year:
- Picked up a barnacle encrusted release clip, 30 feet off the floor out on the Big Bank (at 190 feet). Must have still been attached to some wire, and our wire connected with just the clip and brought her up.
- Halibut on the Bank in OCTOBER??? Wierd!
- Mature coho still on the Bank in good numbers, again in OCTOBER???
- Also saw a few sunfish, and an elephant seal off Esperanza this year.

And finally, a first for me:
I'm used to lions and even seals chasing down hooked fish, but Killer Whales?? When I was up working commercial troll this spring, a pod of 30 or so Orcas moved into the troll fleet. Thought nothing of it, until...
The boat right next to us was pulling a line, and the skip was working a smiley towards the stern. Suddenly a huge bow wave appeared behind the spring, and the skip frantically pulled the catch closer. When he got it to the stern, a quick gaff and it came aboard. But right behind the fish, no more than a couple of feet off the stern, the bull Orca surfaced, and opened his impressive maw to show off some rather large dentition! The skip panicked and jumped out of the cockpit and right up on top of the hatch. We were so busy laughing that we didn't notice a couple of our fish had been liberated by the whale's companions! Never heard of them attacking a hooked fish before, and sure was interesting to watch!!

Cheers,
Nog

Those are definately Humbolt squid in those pics .One was caught 2 years ago at swiftsure and was a huge deal . It's preserved at the BC museum . These babies are eating machines and have teeth in their tentacles to tear their prey apart. They should definately be reported when caught . Not at all common to this area.

Seined a couple of years ago near blinkhorn south of hardy and caught a few humbolts about 20lb ea,shad, a large 5-7lb member of the herring family,and a sturgeon which I was very surprise to see.
Fishing off of north island{langara}back when we could seine sockeye there el nino years always produced strange bycatch for example sunfish,thresher shark,spanish mackeral and a huge increase in giant jelly fish that would threaten to roll the boat,hard to believe they can weigh that much.
one myth that I would like to dispell tho is the bycatch contoversy we caught salmon and salmon only the bycatch was insignificant,in 10 yrs of seining I only ever saw 3 maybe 4 mammals,sealions,seals or porpoise caught and all were returned alive.
And really the only fish we caught other than target were horse mackrel that eat salmon smolts for a living.

quote:Originally posted by Mucker

Those are definately Humbolt squid in those pics .One was caught 2 years ago at swiftsure and was a huge deal . It's preserved at the BC museum . These babies are eating machines and have teeth in their tentacles to tear their prey apart. They should definately be reported when caught . Not at all common to this area.
They dont seem to be that uncommon anymore. Friend of ours said they were everywhere in winter harbour last month and they were apparently eating coho? is this true

Yes, the squid were caught at Winter Harbour in mid Sept. They where everywere, at all depths, for miles. Had to move right out of the area to get away from them.Mostly off Lawn pt.
I contacted the biologist at Nanaimo. He said that there where several calls about squid being caught in the area at that time.He also mentioned that it was the first call they had recieved for 3yrs.
The Mexicans call these killing machines, Diablo Rojo (red devil)They are so agressive!
Wouldn't want to fall in the drink with those mothers around.

They were out here in Washinton waters again this year. The guys going out for Tuna got them again. Hard to believe these only live for 18 months. They have to grow pretty fast and are mainly from the Sea of Cortez inside of the Baja of California in Mexico. They come up with warm currents. A few years ago a bunch of dead ones washed up on the beach in Lapush, Washington. They are supposed to be quite a fight too. We have had more than one butt kicked from octopus at Swiftsure. I am talking 70-80 pounders.

Oh yeah, I caught a huge artillary shell out in the Puget Sound. It has to be easily 16" long. Hooked the end of it where it tore a little when the projectile came out. It had a little cabezon living in it.

Funny you should mention cabazon.

My weirdest catch was a cabazon in a crab trap. Me and my friend had never seen anything like it, took us a long time to figure out what it was and if we could eat it.

It was a couple pounds. Are they becoming more common? I thought they were from the south.

quote:I'm used to lions and even seals chasing down hooked fish, but Killer Whales??
Got this from a friend, pretty cool :+)

If you folks want to see something quiet amazing? Check these puppies out. A squash buddy of mine, Lea Cadwallder was out fish up North of Port Hardy with a friend a couple of weeks ago. He had a salmon on the line only to have a killer whale latched onto it. He managed to wrestle it free, but the whale presisted and swam up to his boat and snatched 1/2 the salmon away. How bloody cool and scary is that?
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9051/img2254jx7.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8097/img2257it7.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9594/img2263ws0.jpg

i catch them all the time jiging in bamfeild up to 10 pounds,there tasty too[^]

Back