Any tips for Port Alberni to Bamfield trip?

Matthias

Hey everyone,

At the end of this month I'll be launching my boat in Port Alberni and running to Bamfield for a few days. I'm hoping to get some pointers on things to keep in mind/look out for during the jet down the inlet. I've heard logs are quite frequent, and that the chop can be pretty extreme sometimes.
Any tips for getting over there as quickly/safely as possible are appreciated! I have a 25 foot closed cabin Bertram.

Thanks in advance!
Matthias

Right on thanks for that. I can't wait. If any other forum members are up there july 27-31, let me know and let's have a beer!
I'm doing this trip for the first time, Aug 5-8. Was hoping the dates would line up. Be cool to see a forum member making the same run.

I'm off the ferry at 810. Really hoping to have the boat in the water by 930 but will likely be closer to 10. Be saying a prayer to the wind gods for a late start. I'm in a 20' boat.

I'm doing this trip for the first time, Aug 5-8. Was hoping the dates would line up. Be cool to see a forum member making the same run.

I'm off the ferry at 810. Really hoping to have the boat in the water by 930 but will likely be closer to 10. Be saying a prayer to the wind gods for a late start. I'm in a 20' boat.
You'll have a tough time getting the boat in the water by 0930 if your unloading in Nanaimo at 0810. Regardless, you might get away from Port just as the thermal winds are starting. Take your time and you'll be fine. The smallest boat I've run the canal in in the middle of the day with was an 18' Campion Horizon. It was not a rough water boat by any means but we made it just fine. We took it slow, had a lot of laughs and the trip to Bamfield took 1.5 hours instead of just under an hour. Those thermals can sure beat you up but unlikely to sink you unless your an awful mariner. Those logs though are another story, they will hurt your boat real fast keep an eye out and have a great trip.

You'll have a tough time getting the boat in the water by 0930 if your unloading in Nanaimo at 0810. Regardless, you might get away from Port just as the thermal winds are starting. Take your time and you'll be fine. The smallest boat I've run the canal in in the middle of the day with was an 18' Campion Horizon. It was not a rough water boat by any means but we made it just fine. We took it slow, had a lot of laughs and the trip to Bamfield took 1.5 hours instead of just under an hour. Those thermals can sure beat you up but unlikely to sink you unless your an awful mariner. Those logs though are another story, they will hurt your boat real fast keep an eye out and have a great trip.
Thanks for the info. Will have our eyes peeled for logs.

My buddy and I will be making the trip Aug 2-5th in his 17.5ft Tyee. Our first time as well and plan to launch by 9 at the latest to avoid the winds. Great to hear the experience from the seasoned guys! Thanks for sharing!

I find it rough to about Nahmint bay and after that it’s not quite as bad. But as others have said the earlier you leave the better. If there is a chip on the water you will have to really watch for the gill netters. They are usually guarding their nets pretty good but better that you watch for them then them watching you. Logs logs and more logs keep a eye out for them. Take your time and enjoy the view down the inlet.

Hey everyone,

At the end of this month I'll be launching my boat in Port Alberni and running to Bamfield for a few days. I'm hoping to get some pointers on things to keep in mind/look out for during the jet down the inlet. I've heard logs are quite frequent, and that the chop can be pretty extreme sometimes.
Any tips for getting over there as quickly/safely as possible are appreciated! I have a 25 foot closed cabin Bertram.

Thanks in advance!
Matthias
think i met you on the water this winter by Grace ? , message me , pass ya on my number ...

Those logs though are another story, they will hurt your boat real fast keep an eye out and have a great trip.
Ya especially those ones 1 inch under the water. Keep a eagle eye out , done it many times myself and I still try to tuck in behind a guy . Like everyones says the inflow blow comes up usually around 1030 ish and is full gales by noon , lasting right into the evening something. I ran it with a 20ft , 200HP striper lots of time in the in flow , ya just have to ride it out. Enjoy you'll love the run up and if your lucky you'll see some wildlife !!! ENJOY , SAFE & TIGHT LINES
PS If your launching a Clutius and it's a low tide be care going out, hug the left channel going and watch the markers or your plotter for the deep water. The launch can rip hard to have someone in the boat with engine running and able to control it or several strong dudes on the docks with ropes, one year I just about lost it, when my newbe 20 yr old nephew, who knew it all lol, lost the bow line , luck another guy was there to lend a hand ......she rips !

Last edited:
Ya especially those ones 1 inch under the water. Keep a eagle eye out , done it many times myself and I still try to tuck in behind a guy . Like everyones says the inflow blow comes up usually around 1030 ish and is full gales by noon , lasting right into the evening something. I ran it with a 20ft , 200HP striper lots of time in the in flow , ya just have to ride it out. Enjoy you'll love the run up and if your lucky you'll see some wildlife !!! ENJOY , SAFE & TIGHT LINES
PS If your launching a Clutius and it's a low tide be care going out, hug the left channel going and watch the markers or your plotter for the deep water. The launch can rip hard to have someone in the boat with engine running and able to control it or several strong dudes on the docks with ropes, one year I just about lost it, when my newbe 20 yr old nephew, who knew it all lol, lost the bow line , luck another guy was there to lend a hand ......she rips !
Great stuff! Thanks. Looks like there will be some water when I'm launching. Mid incoming tide. Do you recommend spinning the boat around in the launch area or is there room to back out into the river without the current pushing you into something? I will be at the helm when we dump the boat in for sure.

Great stuff! Thanks. Looks like there will be some water when I'm launching. Mid incoming tide. Do you recommend spinning the boat around in the launch area or is there room to back out into the river without the current pushing you into something? I will be at the helm when we dump the boat in for sure.
You're fine to back up into the river. No need to spin. We do it in a 28'er + pod

Beauty. Thanks!
just prepared to giver some good gas as you enter the current especially on an outgoing tide. do it all in one motion. back out hard into the current and get it in forward without delay. there is a reason the leading edge of that corner on the dock is smashed up. you can go down river to the entrance for the marina, turn around and drive back up to the launch dock safely. i had an overheat alarm turn on once just as i backed into the current. this little turn around spot saved my butt.

just prepared to giver some good gas as you enter the current especially on an outgoing tide. do it all in one motion. back out hard into the current and get it in forward without delay. there is a reason the leading edge of that corner on the dock is smashed up. you can go down river to the entrance for the marina, turn around and drive back up to the launch dock safely. i had an overheat alarm turn on once just as i backed into the current. this little turn around spot saved my butt.
I looked at a pic of the launch area. I could see how if you back out tentatively the current would grab you and slide you into the downstream dock. You wouldn't be able to power forward out of it and would be to late to hammer the reverse.

I agree with ya trophywife, I tried a hard out with a 20ft 200 HP Striper at a full river rage and now I use the marina turn around , but that's me I'm to old and dont need any more gray hairs :) But with the New Merc I might try lol

You're fine to back up into the river. No need to spin. We do it in a 28'er + pod
You won't have trouble with river current unless the river is running high and fast and the tide is low. That's when it can be tricky. Try to launch when tide is mid or higher. The river shouldn't be high at that time. You can back out stern upstream with a bit of throttle and then proceed downstream. Have fun. It's beautiful in the sound

Launching at Clutesi during a low tide is one thing....returning at a low tide is another. Without going into a long narrative, I’ll never take out at on low tide again. River was ripping, there’s a nice back-eddy right by the rip-rap rock pile on the upstream side of the launch that wants to suck your bow in to the rocks....meanwhile, not enough water to go full speed astern to make a correction without risking your lower unit and propeller...or both...having a 30” leg on my DF300 didn’t help....

Meanwhile....there’s a park bench overlooking that shiat show for folks to sit on and get liquored up so they can snicker at your plight rather then get off their arses and offer to help catch your bow line....

Not a problem in a Grady.

Back