port alberni launch? or drive up to bamfield?

hey guys i'm headed up to mills landing mid july and was wondering what would be better? tow the boat all the way to bamfield or put in at port alberni and make the run up in the boat? have no idea where to launch at either place and need parking for the 5 days we will be gone(preferrably a place where i hope to find the truck and trailer in one piece when we return!:cool:) any advice would be much appreciated!

I have always gone down the Inlet and left the truck and trailer at the park behind the Petro Can never have had a problem.

The road to Bamfield will be nice and clean by July, I would drive up instead because would be burning more gas with the boat....

I haven't driven that road in about 5 years always preferring the relaxing scenic run up the inlet over the road. Launch at Cluetsi Haven and either park in their lot (not free) or in the large area behind the Petro Can across the street (free)
I can honestly say I can't imagine when I would tow over run up.

Hey Guys

I launched last year june 11 it had been raining a lot and the run off was high. Going out was no big deal heading back in was a different thing. First time fishing there and I would never head back up to the launch at low tide again. There were people netting socks all over the place what a gong show, the current was heavy very fast. I was past by one 20' boat with no one in it I guess they didn't tie it up real well? Next I watch a 25' aluminum jet boat that was being used for netting almost run clean over a smaller glass boat. The launch was full so we all stayed under power against the current and prayed not to play bumper boats with the other boats. While we all waited a nice American couple from Seattle in there new Orca boat thought that the boat launch was just the place to clean there fish and the boat before they put it on the trailer #$#$!!! I think the boat launch would have been ok but at low tide in the run off it was pretty stressful!!! The run out to Bamfield was great and in my mind its better for your boat then the road. What about launching at China Creek that where I will launch this year. Does anyone know what that launch is like and the costs?

Thanks

Here is a member that could able tell you all about Bamfield area and a great guy " The Fog Ducker " does often drive on that road or call Jerry at Mills Landing cottage also a great helpful guy....

Launch in port and enjoy a great boat ride. The road,even wen good is still hard as hell on your rig. I have never driven that road in July or Aug without seeing boat trailers with broken wheels on the side of the road on jacks ect. I have seen em arrive in Bamfield with anything from flat tires, kickers busted off to holes in the hull. My brother in-laws boat burned to the ground on that road. I paint an ugly picture I know,and many do it with no problems.After doing both multiple times I will never do the road again. takes me about 1.5 hours on the water by the way.
Cheers

I asked the same question a couple of years ago and I think it was Fog Ducker who chimed in and recommended launching and running. We took his advice and do not plan on ever driving to Bam again; if we have to get a a boat out there. The run out - as long as it is before 11 a.m. or so - should be a piece of cake. The road is a bit of a crapshoot. It is definitely doable, just take your time and make sure you are comfortable with and equipped to change a flat on your trailer. This happened to us once, and it sucks! You should also be warned that everything will be covered in dirt when you get there, which also sucks.

China Creek and Clutesi will both work fine, you only need to do a few kms on the logging road to get to China Creek. The launch is great - in my opinion - and it is an easy way to go. Much quicker than towing out and I would question any fuel savings by driving.

Info on both lauches and rates at: http://www.portalberniportauthority.ca/en/node/37

The run back will be choppy if in the afternoon, but you are heading back with the chop. I still prefer this to the road. Although, it depends on your boat and comfort level. One last tip..if you are there when the inlet is full of sockeye commies, approach the bow of their boat on the run, their nets should be out back. Just don't run behind them and you will be fine.

No matter what you do though, you will have an awesome trip...

Last edited by a moderator:
have a friend that launched at clutesi and on the way back coming up past alberni he hit a dead head, $6,500 and 4 months later, the boat was back in action. i would think that china creek would be a way better choice, very nice ramp to say the least and it looks like there is lots of parking around.

Having done the drive to Bamfield several times over the years i would vote for running up the inlet. The very least you can expect from trailering is a horrendous amount of dust or mud on your boat and trailer. If you lose a bearing buddy just check the ditches anywhere for a replacement.
My buddy's wife had their 23 ft tin boat slide off the trailer (at very slow speed) on their way to Poett's a few years back, she was lucky, it didn't hurt it at all and a very helpful dude got it back on the trailer for her while her hubby was a few miles ahead in the Motorhome wondering where she was LOL!
I always found China Creek a good launch and parking place, We used to launch at about 4 AM there and wait for various brave souls to fly past heading out the inlet then tuck in behind a few hundred yard back and wait for him to find the deadhead LOL.

Things could go great either way, or be terrible either way, really hard to predict the conditions. But generally you are much better off launching at Clutesi Haven and running out to Bamfield. It's about 1 hr 30 min.

Last year we had our boat and trailer at Poett Nook and the road conditions were different each trip out there. The drive to Bamfield towing a boat could vary from 2 hrs in great conditions to 4 hrs plus...

Yes, low tide at Clutesi can be interesting, just watch the green marker across from the launch and if it's laying down in the water take it easy. But it's not that much of a problem. 2 years ago before we started staying at Poett Nook we ran the boat out to Bamfield over a dozen times. Never had a problem, watch for stuff in the water, and enjoy the nice ride. Best time to go is in the morning before the wind gets going in Nahmint.

Have Fun!

BT

Last edited by a moderator:
Run out the Canal in your boat.I've worked as a linemen on the road between Port Alberni and Bamfield for 34 years and I'd never trailer a boat of my own along that road.It's a good road for collecting various trailer parts like fenders and spare bearing buddies. At one time we actually considered barging our heavy construction trucks out to Bamfield to avoid the damage and wear and tear that they suffered.
The run out the canal to Bamfield is a pleasant trip that will take you about an hour and a half.
Dave

It also depends on what type of boat you have. I drive in and out most times draging the boat. This in allows me to take extra fuel and ice. 2 hours of slow driving in my truck is alot easier then a hour in a over loaded boat.

I have 10ply tires, and a welded boat fully covered. My kicker is welded to my boat so it won't be bouceing off. Plus I service my trailer every couple of years.

I take my time.

Destroyed two trailers (with boats on them!) dragging them down that trail. 'Nuff Said! NEVER Again!

Nog

I like the trip out to Bamfield and have gone both ways a few times, the run up the inlet has been a lot better. I launch and park at china creek at it takes about 1.5 hours taking it easy, to get there. Leave early in the morning before the wind gets up. Heading up there mar 18th and still trying to decide which way to go, seems like snow on the road would be a drawback.

I dragged my boat in and out many times before moving here. I don't think I ever had a problem or a flat tire even. Most of the broken trailers I see probably should have been condemed any way. It is a gravel road and can be rough at times or somedays better than pavement. If you do trailer out take your time and you won't beat the crap out of your rigging. It's usualy dusty or muddy, not much in between.
It's amazing how many "company" vehicles blow buy at mach 10 and then blame the break downs on the road.
That being said I wouldn't trailer a big boat out for a weekends fishing either. If you're comeing at the right time you can load up on sox in the cannel on your way to Bamfield

I will be trailering to Poett Nook next friday. I hope the road is nice to my little bathtub!

thanks for all the kind info people!!!!now im really confused. probably gonna throw er in and boat up. after fishing the interior lakes all year cant wait to get salt spray on the winshield!!!

The important thing is that you are going to have a great time when you get there! Sorry we got you worried about the dead-heads, waves, flat tires, destroyed trailers, dropped boats and dirt. Just take care and you will be fine...

Have a great trip!

Back