Any other Char junkies on here????

willyqbc

Hi all, first post here. Just wondering if there are any other members who love chasing the big lakers??? Getting a little stir crazy to be out on the water up here in the cariboo.
Had a lot of fun chasin lakers last year on a bunch of different lakes in search of a truly large specimen. We caught more char last year than any other year and had a lot of fun figuring out new areas but unfortunately the big one still eludes me....14#'s was the big fish of the year.
So how bout it....anyone else on here love chasing lakers??

Chris

Hey WillyQ......MB_Boy here....long time guy over on HBC.

I USED to chase them back in MB but that was some 20 years ago....now it's all saltwater for this relocated prairie boy. ;)

I beat up a few in places like Babine lake in the past. Nice eating fish when prepared quickly for fish and chips, but I found them to be pretty easy to catch in the spring when things started to warm up. Also have a real appreciation for searun dollies (bulls) that saved many a slow steelhead day.

Welcome aboard.... but be prepared to develop a thick skin !! LOL

BC has some of the best char fishing in Canada. Maybe not the biggest fish consistantly as in the NWT and Yukon, but for numbers of good fish, tough to beat BC.

I used to chase them every spring and early summer. We fished lakes that produced fish in the 15-30 lbs quite consistantly, and lots of lakes where we would hit 10-12 fish in a morning avg 15 lbs. Best thing is nobody ever fishes those lakes as most have limited access or the stupid rule of non retention of lakers on any lake less than 1000 ha in surface size.

I am looking to get back to fishing them this spring. Apexes and Canadian Wigglers have been the go to for me.

The only thing that Lakers lack is fighting strength, they kind of fight like a black boot full of water........smaller fish do fight better.

Cheers

SS

Welcome aboard,
Plugged quite a few Lakers on the Shuswap this past summer and nail very large Bulls on Kootenay lake all winter long....

Hoping to scout out some of the local lakes myself, namely Cold Lake this summer. I've been hearing the fishing there has been quite good the last few years. Local regs for this season are a daily limit of 10.

Hi all, first post here. Just wondering if there are any other members who love chasing the big lakers??? Getting a little stir crazy to be out on the water up here in the CARIBOO

Chris
So ..... are you heading for the Char Derby at Quesnel Lake on May long weekend this year? Money raised supports the Likely Firehall I believe.

This is my biggest so far. Im pretty sure ive hooked bigger but lost them all.

672_zps5ac2a34c.jpg

Cool, tried twice in the last year to jig one but no luck. Think I'm going to wait until they come in to the shallower water on the spring to try again

we have all our best luck in the 80-100ft depth. My dad seems to be the one who catches them all while jigging. Just waiting for the Kekuli launch to open up.

Yep, love chasing big Lakers. The smaller ones are some of the best tasting freshwater fish out there. We typically only keep fish 20" and under and fry them up as Laker Cakes.

1013486_10152164184269653_1694957611_n.jpg

397508_10152284534024653_836222892_n.jpg

I find it interesting that you change bays on a lake and the attracting colour of lure changes. Not just changing lure when trying a different lake. Just got back into the ice fishing. Already spent 20 days on the hardwater.

I throw the whole tackle box at them sometimes with no good results. Other times, they will smash anything you throw at them. Thats fishing I suppose!

They also like different colour downriggers balls. I often will fish lures real tight to the ball

What would you call real tight? I have been experimenting with chinook the past year and have been having better luck 8-12 ft from the ball instead of being 15-20 ft back.

Back