Any fish at Cap?

B

Brisco

I'm not seeing anything on the Cap. mouth.I'm hoping to get out next Tues. Anyone been out?

Last weekend was ok - both springs (white and "marbled") and coho. But all the rain this week probably changed the number of fish waiting at the mouth. The ones that were there last weekend have likely all moved up river! The Cap river does not seem to have risen in any significant way though, so there might be a chance - especially if some new fish has showed up. I'll be out Sunday morning! Anybody caught anything at Pt. Grey / Bell Buoy?

Cheers,
Hans

Weather and tides looks pretty good for the weekend. Sunny and calm... high slack in the early morning hours!

Oppi, what kind of boat are you on? I was there on my Boston Whaler 18-OUTRAGE c/w blue bimini sun top (rain top last weekend).Have to hit it again this weekend, It is going to be busier than hell!I may try T10 North arm for a bit.The big ones gotta be out there!

I'm kind of new to the Cap. and find it a bit stressful fishing right in the mouth.There doesn't seem to be any logic in the direction people troll.They just seem to go where ever.China Creek for example people simply do a loop without cutting you off.And another thing that amazed me was the number of rods out with weights,their lines are 200 feet behind.But I suppose if we want fish we'll need to butt in.

quote:Originally posted by brisco

I'm kind of new to the Cap. and find it a bit stressful fishing right in the mouth.There doesn't seem to be any logic in the direction people troll.They just seem to go where ever.China Creek for example people simply do a loop without cutting you off.And another thing that amazed me was the number of rods out with weights,their lines are 200 feet behind.But I suppose if we want fish we'll need to butt in.

There's not too many people out there with weights. Must have been an anomaly. There is rhyme and reason. Fall in line and watch the guide boats notice that many of them don't zig zag all over the place. That's what you need to do. Troll East-West. Forget the BS about who has the right of way, make sure you stay somewhat clear of the morons who cut you off.

As for the recent results at the Cap, this week has slowed off considerably. To the point that it's a waste of time.

A nice bump of fish may show, but head south. Word from this morning was EXCELLENT, and I mean EXCELLENT fishing for Vancouver standards to the south. We're talking WCVI type results. Two boats had 12 springs on this morning in 5 hours sizing from 12 lbs to 32lbs. Each guide said that they lost at least that many. The Harrison FISH ARE IN!

I won't divulge the location, but I'm sure the word will get out there.

Never mind the Cap BS, I'm fishing elsewhere this weekend.

Now that can change at a moments notice as they move around, but if you hit the mother load down south, you're laughing. As for the Cap, you're going to be lucky if you hit 1 if they're not there. You can probably go and get as lucky off the mouth of the Fraser.

Would you rather fish for 1 bite and 1 fish out of 70 boats, or would you rather fish for a lot more fish???

Tight lines.

Fishin Magician,
Thanks for the reply.I will probobly will head south.

fishallspec... I think your OUTRAGE is a 190 Centre Console, right? If I'm out there, it'll be Sunday and I'll be in a 2052 TROPHY (I/O Walk-Around Cuddy) with a Dark Green canvas top. Standing by on ch. 88 - callname "ARVAK" (my boat's name is Old Norse meaning "Early Morning Riser" - "Opp i Ottan" is the same meaning in Swedish)! You have a radio callname?

If you go out on Saturday, post your results here to touch base. T-10 sounds like the place to be. [:p] Although I'm still kinda curious if Pt. Grey / Bell Buoy will pick up this Sept. or not! Anyway, with Sunrise at 7:00am, I'll probably be firing 'er up before 6:00am... heading out from Thunderbird. That gives me plenty of time to reach the North Arm well before the high slack at about 7:30am!

brisco... I agree about the crowds at Cap but I don't feel stressed while trolling. Magician is right, you can usually spot the "green" one early and stay out of their way. What peeves me is when I have a fish on and guys run over my lines with their rig! :( That's far worse than loosing fish to seals! With a buddy in the boat it's not such an issue cause you can move quickly to get on top of the fish, but I fish alone most of the time and the fish goes where it goes so sometimes I don't have a chance when people don't get it! Sometimes morons move closer BECAUSE I have a fish on - UNBELIEVABLE!

Cheers,
Hans

Well guys, are you too tired from cleaning all those fish to post here? :D

Fished the Cap Sunday morning. Fantastic, sunny, calm conditions. There were a lots of boats around but not many fish being caught. I only saw one guy boat a fish. However, I did manage to land my two sping limit and make it home before 11 o'clock. :) Some days the Fishing Gods are on your side and other days not.

Red... you were one of the few... if not the only one to catch your limit! Heard nothing but complaints on ch. 88 on Sunday. Not just from Cap... also from Bell Buoy area, T10, Sandheads... everywhere was slow! I trolled from T10 down to Sandheads between 6:30am and 9:30am. No action other than hooking a Sockeye straggler (on anchovie and a 6' leader!) at Sandheads just when I was ready to pull my gear and head home. Saturday was supposed to have been better!?

Oppi,my Whaler is the older style 1981,I hit the Cap nothing! It never fails, I did not get on the computer this weekend and missed out the reports. Burns me since Sandheads is 20 min.from my house! Next weekend........another story

Fishall... you didn't miss much at Sandheads - except a gorgeous sunrise and mirrorflat water until about 9:30am. Probably better to catch nothing out in the open than to catch nothing in the crowd @ Cap. :) Next two weekends I'll be on a business trip to Europe.:( Weekend after that... who knows it might be over for the season. Time to rig the boat for Scuba diving and hit Tunstall Bay a few times in Jan/Feb? I'll look for your reports when I return. Hey... would be fun to go together sometime! Do you ever fish for feeders in the winter? Feisty buggers... pound for pound... better fighters than the migrators... and Ohhh soooo RED and delicious!

Cheers,
Hans (Oppi?)[8D]

Really want to take a day off and go out this week,possibly friday.Same story, Cap or t10 or Sandheads a triple headed coin to toss. This will be the 1st year I have had a boat capable of handling rough water so I will try for sure this year for some feeders!O'Hares or The Buck are good places to meet.There are a few guys around Richmond, Ladner, Vancouver that may have to get together in the late fall and lie about or fish we have caught!

I'll be back in a couple of weeks. Keep me posted! O'Hares? The Buck? Where do you keep your boat? Mine's @ Thunderbird Marina (West Van.). I keep it in the drink all winter... like to use it for Scuba.

Cheers,
Hans

im thinkin about going out saturday morning... where should i start? at the mouth or t-10.... Q/A??

I don't think the bulk of the Cap springs have arrived yet. It's usually an October event. Therefore, I would think that more springs will have arrived and this will continue to occur for the next while and until a big rain happens and the fish go up the river. In other words, I think the fish will be stacking in front of the Cap since we have not had rain this week. If I could find some last weekend, I'm sure I could find some this weekend. You just need to know where to look, IMHO. [8D]

Was out at the Sandheads yesterday fighting the waves, there seemed to be fish according to my fish finder but no hits.
Getting a little frustated heading down to the Sandheads on what seems to be nice sunny days only to run into bad sea condtions at the mouth.

Davie

Back