Another Commercial Opening for Chinooks On WCVI

Barbender

Does anytone else find this strange? A commercial fishery just ended this week on the west coast of Vancouver Island for Chinooks and from what I hear they took 10 000 fish. No sooner does that end do they announce another opening starting May 1st for even more fish. I assume they are targetting California bound fish but given the recent confusion about the upcoming sport season I find this rather strange. Maybe someone out there knows what fish they are targetting.

YEAH and they NEVER get any fraser fish at all either those fraser fish are very elusive they fly over that area didnt you know that. just like the inside they dont go down that way either just area 19/20......

really getting to find out who realy runs this country its called "BIG BUSINESS"

Wolf

Yes, they are targeting south bound fish, and no dought will get a few Fraser fish. I would be surprised if they only took 10,000 fish.
I wouldn't exactly call these guys "Big Business", most are just like you and me, trying to make a living off of a dwindling resource. If DFO allows them to fish they are going to do there best to catch everything they can.
The problem lies with DFO, and their mismanagement of the Canadian stocks. Time to unite, not bash the other sectors. BC has enough streams and rivers, capable of producing so many fish we wouldn't be fighting over who can catch the last one. We just need someone to manage the fishery.
Just the way see it.

Yes, they are targeting south bound fish, and no dought will get a few Fraser fish. I would be surprised if they only took 10,000 fish.
I wouldn't exactly call these guys "Big Business", most are just like you and me, trying to make a living off of a dwindling resource. If DFO allows them to fish they are going to do there best to catch everything they can.
The problem lies with DFO, and their mismanagement of the Canadian stocks. Time to unite, not bash the other sectors. BC has enough streams and rivers, capable of producing so many fish we wouldn't be fighting over who can catch the last one. We just need someone to manage the fishery.
Just the way see it.

What a great outlook, i see it the same way... the commercials are not our enemy
they are only doing what DFO allow them to do to make a living....
If we had a decent management of the resource, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Just the way see it

Yes

most are just like you and me, trying to make a living off of a dwindling resource. .

No

Lorne

Yes

No

Lorne

Really ?? I know we are a somewhat selfish group, but if the fisheries management allows
them an opening, would you refuse it ?
I am trying to keep an open mind here, never been involved in a commercial fishery
but can still see both sides of the track.

My take on this is more on the lines that DFO isn't interested in our wild fish only farmed fish...they also have no problem with sending the commercial guys out to screw up someone else's enhancement efforts. If I was an American I would be pissed. DFO a bunch of pirates.

The solution is quite simple. Give a Salmon some clean water, and enough of it, so they can spawn. Don't dam it and send down some irrigation pipe to grow alphafa or apples. Clean up the estuary so they can grow and pass to the salt water. Maybe leave some krill and herring for them to eat. They are really amazing creatures that keep coming back no matter how hard we beat them down. They just need a little help from everyone.
And Lorne, maybe you don't make your living from the sea, but a lot of people in small coastal towns do. Where I live the stores, bar, resturants, fuel docks, lodges and guides. Kids that work in the campground, marine supply and repair, B&B's, airlines. No Salmon, no jobs. No jobs, no money to spend in your town at your business. If you live on the BC coast you would be effected, and are, by the loss of Salmon stocks.

The solution is quite simple. Give a Salmon some clean water, and enough of it, so they can spawn. Don't dam it and send down some irrigation pipe to grow alphafa or apples. Clean up the estuary so they can grow and pass to the salt water. Maybe leave some krill and herring for them to eat. They are really amazing creatures that keep coming back no matter how hard we beat them down. They just need a little help from everyone.
And Lorne, maybe you don't make your living from the sea, but a lot of people in small coastal towns do. Where I live the stores, bar, resturants, fuel docks, lodges and guides. Kids that work in the campground, marine supply and repair, B&B's, airlines. No Salmon, no jobs. No jobs, no money to spend in your town at your business. If you live on the BC coast you would be effected, and are, by the loss of Salmon stocks.

Agreed, And i am doing everything I can to try and help.

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:

For the river I work on and many others across this coast we have been doing this for years.
Why are salmon numbers still dropping? There is something else going on that we are missing.
My guess is it's a virus that if your run is unfortunate to get it, your done.
Our next step might be to vaccinate in coming brood stock and out going smolts.
Easy for hatchery fish but what about the wild salmon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back