Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

I hope this link works. After watching the video the tide is ripping.... don't try this yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHe7QvxelQ0

I've anchored many times in a bigger boat, thats where I got my experiance from but I'm new to anchoring in a little boat.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

HAHAHAHA Wheres all the spreader bars, good luck putting anything on the bottom with that current.

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

I have wanted to set up my boat for halibut fishing, but to tell you the truth it scares the XXXX out of me. I only have a 16ft double eagle, and knowing the risks I would rather not sink. Do you all agree a bigger boat is necessary?

Or do you belive you will get into the same trouble if you misjudge, and get into a fast tide?

Smiley66

No problem to anchor, just have the right equipment and pick a day
when the currents are light. I anchor my 16' boat with no issues...
I agree, would always have 2 guys aboard when anchoring for halibut
4 hands are better than 2 ;)

One thing I do to ensure a quick cut away from the anchor if something requires it..I have large stainless snap hooks spliced into all rope ends that attach from the scottsman back to the boat. All I have to do is squeeze the snap open and let her go.

Nice Vid, Looks like a sunny afternoon off East Race waiting for the magic window. It's interesting once your float is sucked right under the bow and out of sight doing the wag at East Race that the pucker factor kicks in, or three big cable ties blow off.[:p] You can sit safely through that but i would never ever drop the pick in it, that's when people get into **** fast.

www.tailspincharters.com

Had one of my funnest days fishing a week ago at Constance at anchor. I was waiting for the slack with maybe a 3knot ebb and I decided to throw a few salmon lines out on the downriggers. I had non stop action on 5 rods for 1.5 hours. I was too tired to hali fish when the slack came!

My 2 cents on anchoring is give everyone lots of room and don't anchor directly in front of OR directly behind another boat.

coho and small springs. Spoons , hoochies you name it. Only two keepers one coho and one spring , but what a lot of fun waiting for the slack.

AAAHHHH great advice poppa by law you can only use 2 lb of lead.

Also looked at your video sea ranger did you not think that noone else fishing was an indication the tide was too strong???? And I dont care how quick you think you could have reacted that current was WAY to fast for anyone its not the current speed you have to worry about its the "FORCE" of it that NO one thinks to respect.

Sorry for coming down on you hard but thats just dumb and a lack of respect for you and anyone on your boat mothernature doesnt F$%K around it will kill you in an instant, I would really hate to see someone get hurt out there as IT is DANGEROUS a halibut is not worth your life!!!!

Wolf

Any of you guys ever try using a downrigger to get lines down for halibut? Some days 2 pounds doesent seem like enough. just wondering if anyone has had sucess using this method?

-Steve

We had a great discussion about this last winter. I regularily put a chum box down on my rigger(no it is not illegal) I used to put my whole rig down with spreader bar etc and attach it to the clip. i believe it was Wolf who suggested a mini flasher with a sturdy leader. I have used this setup to catch some of my biggest Halibut.

quote:Sorry for coming down on you hard but thats just dumb and a lack of respect for you and anyone on your boat mothernature doesnt F$%K around it will kill you in an instant, I would really hate to see someone get hurt out there as IT is DANGEROUS a halibut is not worth your life!!!!

I also agree with you wolf.... you don't get a second chance out there but there is no need to come down on me..... We were never NOT in control, Experiance is priceless, thanks for caring about us .... good luck fishing..... Steve.

Have used the riggers instead of the 2 lb ball in faster current. I attach the old style green Scotty release clip (with red pin) to the leader end of a spreader bar. Plug in the red pin from the rod and now when a hali hits it releases off the rigger and you fight the hali with no weight on the rod. I use one of the blue snubbers to hang the weight from the spreader bar.

quote:I also agree with you wolf.... you don't get a second chance out there but there is no need to come down on me..... We were never NOT in control, Experiance is priceless, thanks for caring about us .... good luck fishing..... Steve.

Sorry Steve but you were "NOT in control" when you went out and anchored for the first time on a short rope without knowing how to read the current tables.
The faster the current the faster things happen. You felt in control because nothing went wrong.
I could list a ton of things that could have gone wrong and would have cost you your boat (and maybe more) in seconds.

Get some longer rope, learn to read the currents and be safe out there.

Tips

quote:AAAHHHH great advice poppa by law you can only use 2 lb of lead.
I did not know that?? And lets be honest anybody who has spent much time halibut fishing has put down more then 2lbs of weight.

Anyways if the wind isn't spinning me in circles I'll often use the downriggers. I don't know why you would ever use a spreader bay with this setup - just attach your leader to your mainline and clip in.

I've found that the braid slips from the standard scotty clip though, so I use a longer leader and clip into the mono.

I like the mini-flasher idea!

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Win an 8-Hour WCVI Charter!

page 6 under general restrictions

It is illegal to fish with a fixed weight greater than 1kg (2.2lbs)
except on a downrigger line where a release clip is used"

Thanks Tips Up, I think a new rope is in order this year. I would like to buy the more expensive rope but some say that the cheaper poly rope will do. I think 3/8 is big enough, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to buy something thats too small.
Anchoring in that kind of tide sure can be dangerous and I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon but on a good note the experiance was priceless. Tell me...... at what point is the current so strong you don't want to put your anchor down. Judging by the video, how fast would you say the current was going? And is a 17 foot boat in just as much danger when anchoring as a 21 foot boat or bigger.
When we dropped the anchor that time we made sure to drop the anchor in line with the drift and to hold ourselves steady as we slid back into position.... seemed safe at the time and our quick release is rigged where you don't need a knife to cut in an emergency..... one quick tug of the rope and all is free. I think we had more problems trying to pull a stuck anchor up earlier in the year. We did manage to get all our gear back that time too. Safety does come first and I will heed everyones advice and not try and anchor in such a fast current. Thank-you Wolf and others for the advice (its nice to know people do care) .... Steve.

Back