Anchovies teaser heads

Oly1

Well we're headed up to Winter Harbour just after the August long weekend. I am usually a gear fisherman and have used spoons and hootchies for the most part. I have been told that anchovies are being used a lot up there and am going to try them. My question is what teaser head (brand and colour) would be the best to use as i am an anchovies newb. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to rig and fish them would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

Hard to beat the tried and true Rhys Davis teaser heads. I Like the newer bullet troll heads as they produce an almost fool proof tight bullet roll. As far as colors I like purple haze for overcast days, green or blue with chrome or gold for sunny days, bloody nose and green chartreuse for glow. That should get you started. I'm sure others will have other color favorites.

http://www.gibbsdelta.com/pdfs/RhysDavis_Catalogue.pdf

As far as rigging goes I like two treble hooks, larger in front, smaller in rear (some guys like a single trailer hook like in the pic below). You can also fit then with a stainless steel wire (have pre-drilled holes now) to help the bait keep the bend/shape you want

full%20%20metal%20jacket(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
imgres.jpgkrippled anchove spinns perfect every time ,a little harder to find in clear with red pinns.heard more and more people omiting pin for a toothpick

I'm not sure I would be experimenting with something you have no experience with on an expensive trip like this. Bait takes a bit of time to learn how to set up to get a roll that will work...especially on mature springs. I would stick with what you know as spoons, plugs and hoothies will work as well. When you tie up artificial you are hard pressed to screw it up. The lure inventor has done the field testing for you and formed and bent it so all you have to do to catch fish is tow it at the right speed to make it work. When you rig up bait....with every piece you rig up..you are the lure inventor...you have to form and bend it into a shape that will make it catch fish when pulled at the right speed. I would do this practising closer to home and get it pinned down first rather than doing it cold turkey on this kind of trip. If you get close to limiting out and you want to play around by running bait on one rod to see how it goes...that is the way to go. Just my 2 cents.

I fish bait on one side, lure of some kind on the other - just for that reason. I really don't think I have "dialed in" the bait rigging yet (only been a year). A lure, I know the action will be as planned.

imgres.jpgimages.jpg krippled is my favorite,but for a laugh check out the roll when you add your best apex pinned in

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that sounds interesting Fish Camp. Have you caught fish with that contraption or just fooling around with it. I may try some bait on another rod like dabell said he does. However I think I will stick to profishers advice though and wait until we have some fish in the box first, then we can experiment a little. I would like to get some time and practice in with bait though. Seems like most do use it throughout the year with great success.

How do most of you successful bait guys rig your heads. Do you like single, double trebles or a treble with a single trailer.

Hey that sounds interesting Fish Camp. Have you caught fish with that contraption or just fooling around with it. I may try some bait on another rod like dabell said he does. However I think I will stick to profishers advice though and wait until we have some fish in the box first, then we can experiment a little. I would like to get some time and practice in with bait though. Seems like most do use it throughout the year with great success.

How do most of you successful bait guys rig your heads. Do you like single, double trebles or a treble with a single trailer.
Krippled K head-usually 6 ft off-shore-7 or 8 ft in nootka or a dummy-single no 2 treble x3strong if I am serious about keeping fish but if I'm into a serious release fishery then I use two 2/0 Gammi's-release is much easier than the treble. The treble is for keeps-you seldom lose a hook-up but they can be hard on the fish if you have to release

Oh man Fish Camp. That really looks fishy!

I'll certainly be using that little doozie for coho this season.

Thank you for the pictures!

Thanks FishCamp-played in the shop last night and it looks quite good-in fact really good. I'm going to give it a serious try.

For a lot of head holders you need two toothpicks. One run up the spine to get and keep the bend, the second is used to jam the line in the hole at the front of the holder so that you can keep the distance between the hooks and the head holder. Otherwise, you risk the hooks pulling the anchovie into a "U" shape as the head holder gets pushed down to the hooks. This is a helicopter spin which shreds the bait and gets few hits.

Drewski

Thanks as well fish camp. I was also trying them out, but the holes didn't quite line up to put the toothpick or red peg in. Do you drill a hole to accommodate them or am I just using too big of one. Looks good though.

Hey Oly1, I couldn't disagree with profitsher any more. Take bait! Try it out! This is a perfect opportunity to learn it. I used to teach my guests how to rig bait and saw lots of them catch slabs on what I thought was a bit of a "funky" roll. There's more than enough tips and tricks on this site to get you started. It's not rocket science.

Agree with tugcapitan. It is definitely not rocket science. Shove the chovy in the teaserhead tail first if you like and you will catch fish. No discernible difference in hookups. Get it down and cover water until you find where the fish are holding. Get a hit, mark on your chartplotter and go back. Did I mention cover water?

Back